Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a Scanguage in the truck for a week, then took out to use in one of my other vehicles. I think I saw it running at 185-190F, don't recall exactly now. One thing I've noticed is that the gauge on the dash does not point exactly up. I know the gauge is more of an idiot gauge, normalizing everything except extreme temperatures; but still: I'd expect it to be pointing dead straight up.

Normal or not? I was a bit surprised to see 185-190 for coolant temp also, as I thought most engines these days were running 195-200 for emissions reasons. Seemed a bit cool to me.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,545 Posts
My torque scantooll records normal operating temps or 201-204. My gauge is a bit left of perpendicular as well.

KO

·
Premium Member
13,349 Posts
Mines don't point straight up either. It's to the left of it. It actually at most times mimicks the AT temp guage. When I tow it is different.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ATF gauge points straight up, engine temp never does. I'll have to toss the Scangauge back in this weekend, and see what it's doing. Maybe the thermostat is opening early, that might explain why I didn't hit EPA highway est on the first tank. I don't care so much as to where the needle points as much as making sure that the engine is running properly--certainly while it's still under warrenty!

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
13,349 Posts
At 157+k miles this engine runs very good. I still can get over 20mpg and at least a 500mile tank of gas. So I wouldn't worry too much about it.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought with 73k on the clock. The dealership filled the tank; when I asked she said, yep, after it clicked off I put more in! That first tank, on which I drove at either 60 on the backroads or 65 on the highway, netted 16.8mpg. I was happy when the second tank was nearly 18--until I got in and found it clicked off at 7/8 full. Right now I don't think I am getting much more than 16. Hence the question, as I think something is amiss, but I only need to fill it every couple of weeks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts