Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, any guesses at what the rattle you can hear in the background might be? Truck is a 2013 with 73k miles. I replaced the tensioner over the winter due to it whining, but I didnt replaced the belt. Could the serp belt be making this kind of noise? All the heat shields for the exhaust in the front of the truck are solid, and not moving. Radiator fan isnt hitting anything. Only makes the noise when it's cold, once it's warmed up it doesnt do it. It's totally kicking my ass... Any suggestions would be great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=10&v=pnLBUHovltw

·
Registered
172 Posts
Mine sounds like a diesel when cold. Noisy cold starts at any temps below 50 or so.
It's normal valve train noise, or so I've been told. Let it warm up for a few. Works for me. VVTI, Google it.
Arctic Cat 650V2 here.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine sounds like a diesel when cold. Noisy cold starts at any temps below 50 or so.
It's normal valve train noise, or so I've been told. Let it warm up for a few. Works for me. VVTI, Google it.
Arctic Cat 650V2 here.
Yeah I'm ok with the dieseling, but if you listen closely in background of the video you can hear something rattling that almost sounds like the timing chain hitting the block... It's like when it's cold the timing chain tensioner isn't tightening the chain for a while so it's just slapping around. Once warmed up it goes away. It just started doing it, I'm hoping that's not the case but...

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Subscribed.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
I Don't Get It....

ToyotasForever said:
Quote:
Subscribed.

Mr. Creosote,

I'm sorry, but I don't understand why you posted a pic of a sub (no offense), in response to my simple "Subscribed."

Pray tell, what rule did I break this time?

(I put "Subscribed" because I am interested in following this thread, as I have similar concerns to those of the OP. Putting "Subscribed", for this reason, is something that is commonly done on many of the dozens of other forums I participate in, on the interwebs.)

And, since my request to a Mod, for a link to the rules I seem to violate with fully 50% of my (7?) total posts, to date, was ignored, perhaps someone could kindly link me to the "Official Rules" sticky?

Cool pic of the sub, regardless. :)

Thanks in advance,

ToyotasForever

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
From your description, my understanding is that you changed the accessory drive belt tensioner, but not the belt, correct?

If you did not go into the timing cover, I wouldn't worry about the tensioner(s) for the timing chains. If the truck only has 73K miles, it's highly unlikely that the noise you think you're hearing has anything to do with the timing chain(s). If this is an unusual noise for your truck that has changed since the work you did, then you might buy one of those machinery stethoscopes with the probe to try and localize the noise...or just CAREFULLY use a long screwdriver, placing your ear on the end of the handle, to pinpoint from where the noise is coming.

...It's normal valve train noise, or so I've been told. Let it warm up for a few. Works for me. VVTI, Google it...
This is what I think it is from listening to your audio clips. I say ignore it. One thing you can be sure of...if it is the beginning of an abnormality, then it WILL get worse until it's very easy to localize. Once you have identified the problem, the repair probably won't be any bigger then, than it would be to stop the noise right now...this assumes you don't continue to ignore a real problem once you've figured out.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Oh, wait...I get it now--it's (intended to be) humorous, right? (E.g., "SUBscribed"?)

I must admit I'm more impressed by how you two jokers each found such beautifully-photographed specimens and, furthermore, that they're both aligned, diagonally, across the screen, basically identically to each other.

Bunch of art majors, I guess (not that there's anything wrong with that, as Seinfeld says).

Here's hopin' the OP's spirits are lifted by such...creativity.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
From your description, my understanding is that you changed the accessory drive belt tensioner, but not the belt, correct?

If you did not go into the timing cover, I wouldn't worry about the tensioner(s) for the timing chains. If the truck only has 73K miles, it's highly unlikely that the noise you think you're hearing has anything to do with the timing chain(s). If this is an unusual noise for your truck that has changed since the work you did, then you might buy one of those machinery stethoscopes with the probe to try and localize the noise...or just CAREFULLY use a long screwdriver, placing your ear on the end of the handle, to pinpoint from where the noise is coming.

...It's normal valve train noise, or so I've been told. Let it warm up for a few. Works for me. VVTI, Google it...
This is what I think it is from listening to your audio clips. I say ignore it. One thing you can be sure of...if it is the beginning of an abnormality, then it WILL get worse until it's very easy to localize. Once you have identified the problem, the repair probably won't be any bigger then, than it would be to stop the noise right now...this assumes you don't continue to ignore a real problem once you've figured out.
Yeah you make great points about leaving it and eventually it will be easy to find, I am just so anal about this stuff, and it makes me so mad to have a truck sounding like a piece of shit. It didn't start the noise when I replaced the serpentine belt tensioner, it started over the last few weeks. It does it when the engine settles down after a cold start for like 2-5 minutes, then won't do it again until the trucks cold started again. It sounds like a Rock rattling on top of the skid plate, even though it's not that, but you have to listen carefully in the videos as it's kind of a background noise.

That sounds like a valve tick to me. My current pickup has done that (tick at cold, smooths out when warm) for at least the last 100K miles, and it still hasn't thrown any hard parts.
I know what the normal valve tick is and it's a lot different from that. It's sort of a background noise in the video so you have to listen carefully. It's s clear rattle nose as if there is two metal parts hitting each other.

I got Gates to warranty the serpentine tensioner I replaced last March so I'm going to replace it again and see if that was the issue.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, replaced the belt tensioner and the idler pulley and neither fixed it. Starting to lose my ****ing patience.

·
Registered
1 Posts
650h1 did you ever find the problem? I have a 2016 crewmax that seems to be having the almost exact problem. Currently at the dealership and they are saying it’s normal. Sounds like a dust guard or something like that is loose on cold starts.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Mine had a ticking sound when I first started it up, turned out to be a loose sticker flapping back and forth. Pulled sticker startup tick gone.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Mine stopped making that noise when the aip pumps went out. Didn’t have the money to do the wiring for the check engine light to go out but got it out of limp mode by unplugging the pumps and the battery then plugging the battery back in. Maybe try to unplug the pumps see I find it quiets down.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.