Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,349 Posts
I topp mine all the way like 4 times till fuel it start spilling couple of drops and is not going down the tube anymore and I did not have any problems so far.
Understand but the manufacturers say this as an excuse for the sensors going off instead of checking further.:cool:

·
Registered
35 Posts
P0441 & P0455

Guys, I know this thread died a while back but I am having the same codes 441/455 come up. I took it to a Toyota Dealer in Tallahassee and they charged me $90 for the diagnostics and gave me a quote for $1224.77 for the following parts: 90916-02680 (BELT), 77740-0C050 (CANISTER), 04465-0C020 (PAD KIT), 04466-0C010 (PAD KIT).

I have done a little research and from what I can tell, this is caused from overfilling the gas tank. Unfortunately, last week, I had a pump completely fill up without clicking off which spewed out until I ran over and physically unjammed the nozzle.

I cannot fathom paying $1200 for an emission system that shouldn't affect how the truck runs. Is there anyone who has found a solution to this without breaking the bank???

·
Registered
301 Posts
No answers for you, but interested to hear more...

·
Premium Member
13,349 Posts
You got me on the belt? If I'm not right you have two cannisters. At least the Ford's did. I haven't heard of any changes. These are the emissions that the govt requires manufacturer's have. So I don't see this going away.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I don't know if this makes diagnosing the problem easier or worse, but now when I fill up (without "topping off the tank") I have trouble starting immediately afterwards. This has happened both times I filled up since the CEL came on. I have to pump the gas pedal to get it to start and then keep it idle up or it will conk out. I assume this is related to these codes, but I really don't know.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Update:
I fueled up two days ago and had no problems cranking and last night the CEL went away. Only variable I can think of is the cold front this week has temps down in the 60s-70s vs. 80's-90's.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Guys, I know this thread died a while back but I am having the same codes 441/455 come up. I took it to a Toyota Dealer in Tallahassee and they charged me $90 for the diagnostics and gave me a quote for $1224.77 for the following parts: 90916-02680 (BELT), 77740-0C050 (CANISTER), 04465-0C020 (PAD KIT), 04466-0C010 (PAD KIT).

I have done a little research and from what I can tell, this is caused from overfilling the gas tank. Unfortunately, last week, I had a pump completely fill up without clicking off which spewed out until I ran over and physically unjammed the nozzle.

I cannot fathom paying $1200 for an emission system that shouldn't affect how the truck runs. Is there anyone who has found a solution to this without breaking the bank???

Clear the code first..Then see if the check engine light comes back on.. Most likely it will not unless there is really something bad. It may have tripped a sensor and could be a faulty code.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is a shot in the dark being 10 years old but my 2014 is doing the same thing. did you ever ID the problem?
Holy smokes, old thread revival time. I have the same two codes and I didn't see if anybody posted an actual fix. Since I've only filled up one time since March and that was three months ago I don't think overfilling is the problem.
I went ahead and cleared the CEL and I'll see if it comes back. 2008 Tundra SR5 4X4 TRD 5.7 with 95000 miles, just for the record.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Holy smokes, old thread revival time. I have the same two codes and I didn't see if anybody posted an actual fix. Since I've only filled up one time since March and that was three months ago I don't think overfilling is the problem.
I went ahead and cleared the CEL and I'll see if it comes back. 2008 Tundra SR5 4X4 TRD 5.7 with 95000 miles, just for the record.
I received the codes and had problems starting after refueling. I replaced the evaporative purge valve ($90 at O'Reilly's) and the problem hasn't returned in several months.

·
Registered
2 Posts
More on old thread revival...glad to see what is on here.
Just experienced the same issue twice while traveling recently in my 2008 Tundra (4x4 TRD w 145000 mi), once when I was down to 12 miles remaining and once when half a tank was remaining...odd thing is the tank gauge on the dash registers full immediately however the digital read-out stating "miles remaining until empty" is not updating while I am having trouble starting the truck...after multiple attempts the truck finally starts and the digital read-out resets. Was showing the P0441 & P0455 codes, had them reset after replacing the gas cap yet the light & codes returned after 150 miles. Next fill-up was same starting problem situation. Looking to try next the evap purge valve replacement that pacer317 noted. I'm a stranger to evap systems...if anybody has a part # on that valve, it would be appreciated. Thx.

·
Registered
14 Posts
More on old thread revival...glad to see what is on here.
Just experienced the same issue twice while traveling recently in my 2008 Tundra (4x4 TRD w 145000 mi), once when I was down to 12 miles remaining and once when half a tank was remaining...odd thing is the tank gauge on the dash registers full immediately however the digital read-out stating "miles remaining until empty" is not updating while I am having trouble starting the truck...after multiple attempts the truck finally starts and the digital read-out resets. Was showing the P0441 & P0455 codes, had them reset after replacing the gas cap yet the light & codes returned after 150 miles. Next fill-up was same starting problem situation. Looking to try next the evap purge valve replacement that pacer317 noted. I'm a stranger to evap systems...if anybody has a part # on that valve, it would be appreciated. Thx.
The link below is what I replaced. I actually ended up getting it at O'Reilly's but the same part.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts