Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've done plenty of looking but haven't seen a good write up or set of pictures around the Energy Suspension steering rack bushing install.

Is this not that popular? I have narrowed down my slight and occasional steering wheel vibration to it likely being the rack bushings (I can watch the rack move slightly when turning). I figured I have to pull the front end apart again to install my DD UCA's in a few weeks, so I went ahead and ordered the rack bushings from @Coachbuilder1 .

The instructions seem relatively straight forward, but I find that they (Energy Suspension) can be optimistic at times; straight delusional at others.

·
Premium Member
3,023 Posts
Wouldn't poly bushings just add more vibration into the steering? Rubber is there to dampen the vibration.

Ive never been a fan of too much poly bushings just because of vibration and noise transfer into the interior. Thats just me and my ocd talking.

Reactions: RIjon

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wouldn't poly bushings just add more vibration into the steering? Rubber is there to dampen the vibration.

Ive never been a fan of too much poly bushings just because of vibration and noise transfer into the interior. Thats just me and my ocd talking.
Probably to some extent, but not sure. A rubber bushing- or any polymer really - is used to isolate. Dampening is a function of frequency and amplitude. I've had cars with complete poly bushing kits and they were VERY nice riding. Poly bushings will oscillate at different frequencies than rubber and in my experience that frequency is either absorbed by the frame/suspension or cancelled/overridden by others present. It is however totally possible that it COULD become worse.

That being said, I think I'm getting the slight vibration/shimmy due to rack bushings being slight worn out/over-sized. There are no factory replacement options at this time, sans getting a totally new rack.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I did mine when I replaced my rack. I don't see how you can do it with the rack in the car. I had to cut the old bushing sleeves out. I hope that it does not be as much as a pain for you as it was to me.

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
I've never changed rack bushings on a second gen. It was tough on my first gen, but by no means hard.

You have to remember, we have a rubber rag joint which isolates vibrations. There really isn't any difference there. Just the steering is much more crisp and precise. And poly bushings never go bad like rubber does.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Subscribed. I wonder if mine is going bad too. Normal driving is fine. It's when I get on slight bumpy dirt or gravel surface is when I feel/hear a slight knock and wiggle through the steering wheel.

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
best way to tell if they're going bad is to have a buddy in the truck turning the steering wheel from 2oclock to 10 oclock back n forth medium speed with you under the truck looking at the rack.

Unfortunately my torque steer during supercharged 4hi launches has become quite violent. This has prompted me to get under my truck and have a look. Sure enough my rack moves back and forth 3"!!!!! I can't believe there isn't a bunch of play in the steering while driving down the street.

Unfortunately I will be doing this mod in the near future. For sure before going to the drag strip again:(

·
Registered
2 Posts
Posting to a four year old thread.. apologies ladies and gentlemen. Randomwalk101 shined some light in 2016, and I wish he hadn't lol. My 2012 limited is nose-up right now because I wanted to throw in these energy bushings. Sure enough those sleeves are so stuck in there that I'm beginning to wonder if they really are welded. At the moment the rack is out, the rubber is so chopped, sliced, burned, ground and poked in about to lose my mind here. I attacked the sleeves only a little because they looked like they're not even supposed to come out lol. Can anyone help me? I do want to add that this is my second time pulling this puppy out, as it's a reman BAP (I don't know if I'm allowed to say that so I used initials). I didn't have to bother with the bushings when I got the rack two years ago. Now I feel silly, as I should... how do you guys get those sleeves out?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts