Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the ECM done the other day and now the truck runs like new. After adding the lift and tires it felt like i was driving with a constant head wind. Now the power is back.

Not sure what changed but damn glad they did the update.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, yes there was an update to keep the truck out of "limp" mode. I just reread my post and apparently forgot that part thanks to the Bourbon I have been drinking tonight.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The service adviser and the letter I received in the mail both said that it was an update to keep the truck from stalling and going into "limp" mode. Which would reduce the power by 50% and just give you enough power to get to a service area. My truck is a flex fuel truck, but the recall did not mention anything about that. I will ask the service manager to see if I can get more information for you guys.

I was thinking of changing the gears out to compensate for the tires, but the re-flash has made such a difference there is no need now. It feels as if they unhooked a heavy trailer off the truck. I was not expecting that outcome from the re-flash.

Craig

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
to better help illustrate how my truck was running.....at 70MPH the truck would struggle to find a gear and maintain speed. It felt like it was WOT at 2000 RPM. Now at 80MPH and 2000 RPM it just cruises along and it's not noticeable that you are going that fast.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Just had the update done as well and took a trip to Corpus . The truck was great on flats but the small grades killed it hated the down shifting . This is with nannies off and in 6th gear . Still want new gears.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I put a 3" strut lift on mine and 305/55 tires on my 2013. It ran 2500-2800 rpm at 75 mph. Was feeling the same things. I didnt even know about a recall mail wise. Went to get the 5000 mile service on friday and was advised they fixed the recall. It runs just like it did stock. Very pleased.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
well my truck will be at dealer next week, flex... what does the paperwork say? should have a code for update or something....

otherwise this is useless... Just saying.
It is like " My wife took this pill and man, she cleaned the house and swept me out, and it was amazing" and you can't tell us what it was....

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok I just called the dealer and her is the information they gave me on this recall. " it's not on every truck. It's the DOE Recall for the ECM software update. They said it's on the E-Sam system, whatever that is.

I asked them for the recall number, and said I had a friend that wanted to get his truck fixed. They replied just have him call us and we will see if his truck is due for the recall.

So, after driving it a few weeks since the update, I can say without a doubt that it does drive with more power, but not better MPG. Also, like stated by another member I have noticed in windy conditions or at high speeds going over a hill, it will still search for the right gear.

I hope this helps guys. I know it's not much, but it is more information than you had when you got up this morning.

Cheers!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Also, like stated by another member I have noticed in windy conditions or at high speeds going over a hill, it will still search for the right gear.
Sounds like that's an easy adjustment in the shift tables. Only problem is, we can't access that info. I used to use HPTuners on my old GM truck, and I could take care of that in 10 minutes (adjust, test drive, adjust, test drive, etc). My CM does that on small to moderate incline (bridges, etc). I just ease off the accelerator slightly to maintain desired gear, but cruise will downshift again & again.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I got the letter in the mail last week titled "Limited Service Campaign" Certain 2012-2013 Tundra/Sequoia Vehicles ECM Software update.

Reads "In certain 2012-2013 Tundra/Seqouia vehicles equipped with 5.7L or 5.7L Flex Fuel, the ECM calibration may cause an emissions control component called an Air Injection Pump to fail under certain driving conditions. If this occurs, the vehicle could enter a Fail-safe mode (Limp-Home mode). This mode reduces the vehicles power and speed, which could inconvenience you and require immediate repair."

Basically the dealer will check ECM calibration and if necessary update at no charge. And if your air pump has failed it will be replaced at no charge.

I'll have mine done at my next service :cool:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts