Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first bought my 07 Tundra 5.7L, the brake was really good...first few hundreds miles, the brake actually bites (you know kinda feel like those BMW brake..where you can really feel the grab). After a few hundred miles, the truck still stops but no more grabbing feel...so I thought stock pads were crap and opted to get some EBC yellows as some recommended. Again, first few hundreds it squeaked but stopped with that "bite"..love it. Then after a few hundreds, the bite is gone and it's back to "stock" feel...stopping power is no diff than stock.. No more squeal though...but it dust like there is no tomorrow...

So if you want to "upgrade" your stock pads, don't waste money on EBC yellow.

Yes, I broke in properly..drive like gramma first few hundreds miles, then hard stop like 8 times from 60-10mph while keep moving on empty highway...yes follow instructions to the dime...yes, EBC yellow IMHO isn't all that.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine still work very well. They do dust up a lot though.

Still FAR better then stock
well do you feel that "bite" I'm talking about? If you have driven a BMW or some other high end sport car, you'll notice this bite...even if you are not slamming on the brake...you just gently press down on the brake and you can feel this bite or grab.. not the sliddddddddingg to a stop feel like with the EBC/stock pads.

·
"Toy Master"
629 Posts
I put the EBC green pads on. Dust yes. Squeal a little bit. But can tell a difference in stopping ability when I have my toyhauler on the back.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Well, if the EBC's suck, what is the best option besides the big brake kit? I am going to change the pads and rotors and searching right now. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I haven't heard anyone complain about EBC brakes. Have only heard good things. I just recently upgraded to EBC yellowstuff, dimpled and slotted rotors, and ss lines. Only have 150 miles on them so far so can't really provide personal feed back yet.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
yeah ive had the same problem with the EBCs. in the process of looking at other brakes now.. looking into the Hawk Superduty - Extreme Service / Towing pads right now.. plus do u let anyone else drive ur truck? it seems that everyone that tries to drive mine likes to leave the parking brake on..

·
Registered
29 Posts
I replaced my worn out OEM pads with HAWK LTS Pads on all four corners.

I'm happy with the Hawks, but only a few hundred miles on them.

They definitely brake better than stock and have that bite right now anyway.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Best way to break in pads is to go real easy on them for the first 500 miles so the pad and rotor can actually seat.

We always use factory pads unless asked otherwise by the customer

·
Registered
47 Posts
My truck screams at me when the e-brake is left on.

EBC yellows still working EXTREMELY well. The dust factor has decreased quite a bit also.
EBC Yellow Stuff pads (https://www.buybrakes.com/ebc-brakes/brake-pads/ebc-yellowstuff-street-and-track-brake-pads) are great pads but generally may be a little too aggressive depending on your application. If you are not towing or hard on your brakes at all speeds you may find the Green Stuff pads a better fit (https://www.buybrakes.com/toyota-tundra-2017/ebc-brakes/brake-pads/ebc-greenstuff-7000-series-heavy-duty-truck-suv-brake-pads).

While these pads can be used with many different style rotors, we have found our customers experience the best performance when used with slotted rotors. They have beneficial attributes such as better initial bite, keeping the pad face clean from debris, helping dissipate heat and water, etc. (https://www.buybrakes.com/ebc-brakes/brake-kits-rotors-and-pads/ebc-stage-3-truck-and-suv-brake-kit)

All these products along with more information can be found at https://www.buybrakes.com/ebc-brakes

·
Registered
47 Posts
I replaced my worn out OEM pads with HAWK LTS Pads on all four corners.

I'm happy with the Hawks, but only a few hundred miles on them.

They definitely brake better than stock and have that bite right now anyway.
Hawk Performance has been making brake pads since the early 90s for regular street applications up through multiple racing compounds. Depending on your driving style they make specific friction blends for various applications. You can find the entire selection of Hawk pads at https://www.buybrakes.com/hawk-performance/brake-pads/ .

Most Tundra owners will be more than satisfied with the upgraded performance over stock simply by selecting the Hawk Performance LTS pads. For those towing large loads or looking for something more extreme, the Hawk SuperDuty or Street/Race pads are worth looking into.

As always, you can find any of these products at BuyBrakes.com who is not afraid to beat competitor's pricing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts