Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
HID Retrofit Lord
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I have quite a bit of you guys asking me: “Could you retrofit some nice hid projectors like Fx-r or minis into my lame halo projectors that I bought from eBay?”
I decided to get myself a used set from a member of TS (rivalrider) and take the aftermarkets to a prestige level and answer some questions at the same time.

Retrofiting process or DIY Help

Part 1
Opening the headlights.

I recommend you use a heat gun to open the lights. It’s the safest way to do this, so you don’t risk melting your headlights.
The aftermarket headlights are lighter than OEM (due to cheap material), so they are very easy to melt. If you must use the oven, be sure to only keep the lights in the oven no more than 10 min @ 225 degrees.

Part 2
Removing the projectors.

Now that you have the headlights open, The projector will now be visible.

Remove the top holder, and turn the levelers counter clock wise til the projector comes out.
Options in projectors:
Mini H1, Mini D2s, Coopers, FX, Fx-r.

These projectors are the closest in size starting from the mini h1 to the biggest one (the Fx-r)
All of them could be mounted but none of them are direct swaps.
Some modifications and/or the building of a custom bracket will be needed.

Part 3
Removing the angel eyes.

The angel eyes that come with the aftermarkets leave much to be desire. They are very dim compared to Leds or CCFL angel eyes. But if you are satisfied with them by all means keep them and just skip this step.

Remove the angel eyes by taking the two screws out that are located behind the angel eyes. Those are the only thing holding them in place.

If you choose to go with the leds or ccfl angel eyes, the size required is 100mm rings x4.

Part 4
Reassembly of the headlights

Select your weapon—heat gun or oven. Reheat the headlights as above and seal the headlights back together. Using the same old glue will be just fine.

Pazorell’s final thought
Aftermarket headlights are very poorly built with cheap angel eyes, cheap leds and cheap projectors. Since the projectors are not a direct swap, the labor to retrofit a projector into aftermarkets will be the same as a regular retrofit into your OEM headlights. So it’s up to you to decide which way you want to go.

BTW, comparation pictures :

Aftermarket halogen projector

Mini H1 projector

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
I bought the mini h1's as you suggested a couple months back for my Ebay Projectnots. I plan on still putting them in and selling them. Working on my OEM headlight mod now with FX-Rs. Such a great improvement in light. Thanks for the write up. Those projectors actually look better than mine before the mod.

·
HID Retrofit Lord
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I sold them the very next day and I didn't have the opportunity to take some pictures. :eek:
But,
I know the guy who bought them, I might stop by and take some pictures ...:D

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
So are all the Halo lights junk on ebay? I mean I really don't want to pay for halo lights then take all the lights out and replace them. I do like th black background as I am blacking everything in my truck out. What is the best way to do this and upgrade the lights for the lowest cost?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts