Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I like to do two things together... drink and ebay.

I ordered this grille for $116.95 with free shipping last week:

07 11 Toyota Tundra Black ABS Mesh Complete Full Shell Billet Grille Grill | eBay

It arrived today and I instantly had to have it on my truck. It was well packaged and arrived undamaged. It appears to be molded out of one piece of ABS plastic. Seller stated that it was meant for an 07-09 and I would have to buy an adapter kit from the stealership for $40-$50. F that. Imma make it work.

Directions it came with had Tundra specific steps and pictures.

The only thing that you have to deviate from the directions are: There are no bolts holding the grille on under the little "eyebrow" on the grille. just little tabs that I managed to undo without breaking. and your hafta remove the mounting brackets on either side of the grille and install the metal bar along the bottom from the original grille.

other than that, fit and finish are awesome and I think it was a good move. The paint was black (not grey) and it seems well made. there are no runs in the paint. for under $120, it changes the entire front end of the truck and the grille is thick, so from the side/top you cannot see into the engine bay, straight on, of course you can...

PICS:

Remove the bracket circled in red and use the tabs on the bottom (green) to mount support bar from stock grille

Before:

After:

Trying to show the texture/design of the mesh:

One moar... why not?

I do apologize for not having a beer while I installed this (as I should)... But I have work in an hour and cannot have any alcohol in my system...

·
Registered
507 Posts
Love it, good buy! Think I might pick this up and throw an old school Toyota emblem on.

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Looks fantastic.. Makes me thirsty for a beer. :D

·
Registered
452 Posts
looks real nice hows it holding up ??? i really want a black grille for mine the chrome limited crap has to go or do you wanna sell that old one real cheap ?

·
Premium Member
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
looks real nice hows it holding up ??? i really want a black grille for mine the chrome limited crap has to go or do you wanna sell that old one real cheap ?
its holding up perfect. get lots of compliments on it. I wanna hold onto my original one in case i hit a bird or something.

and I love how this isn't just mesh screen. The mesh is almost an inch deep... prevents from seeing into the engine bay except head on... and if the sun is high in the sky, the mesh casts a shadow... preventing you from seeing in.

I highly recommend this grille to anyone looking for a relatively cheap way to transform the front of their truck.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Hey KoBear,

This looks sweet! And the price is within reason for me. Nice find!

Did you have to re-mount/locate the hood release? I was thinking of installing some LED lights on the grill. Wondering if that grill is heavy duty enough to withstand that weight plus off roading.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey KoBear,

This looks sweet! And the price is within reason for me. Nice find!

Did you have to re-mount/locate the hood release? I was thinking of installing some LED lights on the grill. Wondering if that grill is heavy duty enough to withstand that weight plus off roading.
I did hafta relocate the hood release. It was straight forward tho.

It's plastic... I dunno how much weight i'd trust on there.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Feb. TOTM Winner
656 Posts
Question --- is this thing the entire grill surround and mesh into one piece? Or do you have to cut out your old middle and install this new mesh piece in like you do with the other DIY grilles?

The pictures on ebay look like it's for the black surrounding piece as well but I'm not quite sure.

If it's all one piece then I'm picking one of these turds up to check it out. Then I can mount some HIDs behind it and acquire the look I want and ditch the bull bar / light system.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
I bought the 2mm grill. It's one piece and has a metal bar for the original latch to attach onto. The outer shell frame is plastic with wired stainless mesh grill. Pretty easy to install - took 20 minutes to remove the old grill and install this.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I bought the 2mm grill. It's one piece and has a metal bar for the original latch to attach onto. The outer shell frame is plastic with wired stainless mesh grill. Pretty easy to install - took 20 minutes to remove the old grill and install this.

What's the "2mm" grill? I ordered the same one as the OP on ebay then saw this and like the way that looks too. Where did you get it? Did it come with the surround too or just the mesh?

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
What's the "2mm" grill? I ordered the same one as the OP on ebay then saw this and like the way that looks too. Where did you get it? Did it come with the surround too or just the mesh?
The grill I purchased is this one. The seller accepted my offer for $160 with free shipping.

This grill is a complete replacement which includes the frame and the mesh. I just removed the chrome grill assembly and installed this one. Fits perfect and I get compliments.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Damn now I kind of wish I had gotten that one! Oh well I guess I'll see how this one is when I get it. If I like it I'm getting the surround paint matched Pyrite Mica.

·
Registered
181 Posts
So i ended up buying both of the grilles mentioned in this thread to see which i liked better in person.

Both arrived very quickly. The metal mesh one impressed me for the most part. It does NOT have any "eyebrow" upper opening. Even though its pointless with the plastic piece filling it I kind of wish it did because i think it breaks up the grill a bit but maybe ill like the clean simple look without it.

Of course its a lot heavier than the cheaper all plastic, first one posted in this thread but even heavier than i expected, like 7-10 lbs vs 1-2 lbs is my very inaccurate, not side by side guess. The metal mesh does seem pretty sturdy and high quality though. It came with the hood latch mount bracket and what looks like thorough photo instructions but i havent read them carefully.

The top edge where it meets the front edge of the hood did have some bumpy "runs" or something but you probably wouldnt notice once its installed. Im having the shop smooth them out before painting.

Im keeping the metal mesh version and selling the other one only because i like the way the mesh is a separate piece recessed further into the grille but theres definitely nothing wrong with the first one.

Sorry i didnt actually weigh them or take pics yet. I just wanted to drop it off at the body shop to get it painted ASAP.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts