Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to give these a shot for $190 shipped.
I knew there'd be a fitment issue due to the ballasts sticking out the back and the way the Tundra grill goes up with the hood. It wasn't a concern as I had materials to fab something up if I needed it. I just wanted something to fill the EXP1 bumper hoop.

some 2" square tube, caps and bolts and we had the lights installed.
Wiring was straight forward too.

So, here's my review. These are bright! However there are a lot of issues I have with them:

1) Beam pattern is too narrow.
2) Difficult to adjust vertical angle - hard to fine tune.
3) Poor sealing on the rear housing (I'm going to silicone this)
4) Ignitors are not secured enough in the bracket for expedition type travel
5) Colors are slightly off (one is 6k the other looks closer to 8k. Talking to vendor about a replacement)

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
No offense or anything, but I don't understand why people think there's no difference between an $80 HID off Road light and a $500 HID off Road light like this:

8.7" 50 Watt HID XP Spot Light

I guess I'm jumping to conclusions, you never did say that you expected them to be great, but why spend/waste the money?

Part of me is saying this through experience. I've gambled and lost on eBay lighting products thinking they'd be as good as name brand. But what I've found is that the guitars sold at Wal-Mart are NOT the same thing as the Fender brand guitars sold at my local music specialty shop! The same thing goes for lighting products. :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No offense or anything, but I don't understand why people think there's no difference between an $80 HID off Road light and a $500 HID off Road light like this:

I guess I'm jumping to conclusions, you never did say that you expected them to be great, but why spend/waste the money?

Part of me is saying this through experience. I've gambled and lost on eBay lighting products thinking they'd be as good as name brand. But what I've found is that the guitars sold at Wal-Mart are NOT the same thing as the Fender brand guitars sold at my local music specialty shop! The same thing goes for lighting products. :)
No arguments there. However, there isn't much tech to a HID spotlight. If say, it was a headlight, driving beam, euro beam or fog beam - then I'd take more consideration into the quality of the glass and housing. For the money, I improved these lights to fit the bill.

I failed to update this post to mention that I compared the lighting of the "Cheap" HID eBay lights against my $1200 40" Rigid e-series. I prefer the output and distance I get with the HID Spots. MUCH better than the Rigid. The Rigid has been regulated to being a work/tailgate light. Yes, I have a 40" Rigid bolted on the top of my camper... facing the back.

I've also compared it to the PIAA 520s that I've previously used on a wrx (yellow ion) and Land Cruiser (xtreme white). For the money (more than what I paid for the HID set) those sucked.

Lastly, what would you rather leave outside bolted to your bumper with prying eyes. An Ibanez or a Fender?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Lastly, what would you rather leave outside bolted to your bumper with prying eyes. An Ibanez or a Fender?
HAHA, that made me chuckle when I read it :lol5:

I personally have never been very impressed by anything made by Rigid - I tried a set of their duallys and they were kind of weak IMHO. I switched them to a set of Dual Optimus from VX and THOSE were incredible!

I have the same concerns as you about thieves eying expensive lighting products on the front of a truck, but it's possible to make them un-stealable (is that a word??)

There are safety nuts type hardware, and I've even seen people go so far as to weld the nut onto the bolt that holds everything together to make it permanent. Not really ideal, but it is safe.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HAHA, that made me chuckle when I read it :lol5:

I personally have never been very impressed by anything made by Rigid - I tried a set of their duallys and they were kind of weak IMHO. I switched them to a set of Dual Optimus from VX and THOSE were incredible!

I have the same concerns as you about thieves eying expensive lighting products on the front of a truck, but it's possible to make them un-stealable (is that a word??)

There are safety nuts type hardware, and I've even seen people go so far as to weld the nut onto the bolt that holds everything together to make it permanent. Not really ideal, but it is safe.
haha. What sucks is - I don't care for the Rigid bar and thats the one that some thief will want to rip-off my truck.

Hell, I even tried to unload it NIB for $1000 on craigslist and the forums with no biters. Then I see other guys doing the same for $800. So I said F it, I'll use it to blind tailgaters.

I've read some stories where the thieves also have the safety nut tool and get the lights.

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
Locks and safety nuts are just to keep the honest people honest. Thieves bring the tools they need to get the job done.

·
Registered
537 Posts
there are some cheap hids with red rings that work pretty well. for the thief issue...you could just carry a guard dog with you and chain it up to the truck when you park LOL

·
Premium Member
626 Posts

We get it man you like expensive lights. Most of us aren't running our trucks in the Baja 1,000 and don't need extremely bright expensive lights.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Would you mind posting a picture of the mount you fabbed. I put 3 - 7" HIDs on my Exp-1 bumper this weekend. Getting the hood open right now is a bit of a challenge. Thanks.
I tried 2 versions.
The first was a simple square tube with holes drilled into it. It worked well for me since I need to only add a little pressure on the grill to clear them. That was until I took it into Toyota for my free oil change. The grill barely hit one of the lights when the "tech" closed the hood.

Not wanting a repeat of that, I made a new version out of simple aluminum flat stock. The lights clear with no issue now. However, I drilled 2 extra holes into the bumper for added support and the nuts are exposed, making it much easier to steal them. I'm likely just going to do a quick tack weld on them... even thought they're cheap.

I've uploaded a crude sketch of the 2 versions and a tighter spec blueprint that I made for version2 (I don't recall how accurate it was so double check the numbers if you want to go this route.)

I'll get some pics tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
That is very helpful thanks. I had thought about just drilling a hole on the angled part of the bumper and mounting them that way, but if I do that the center ones bolt will be really close to the winch line and probably end up ruining it.

My next thought was to bend on a hoop like your bumper has and angle it forward with lights mounted off of it. But then I was worried about issues with welding it on and ruining the powder coat, vs bolting it on.

Any issues with access to the free spool knob on the winch? Look forward to the pic tomorrow and Thanks again for helping in the right direction.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is very helpful thanks. I had thought about just drilling a hole on the angled part of the bumper and mounting them that way,
I was considering the same thing but found that there is more material behind the face of the bumper that needs to be ground down. Not only would getting a nut back there be difficult, getting a wrench or socket is next to impossible. Especially with the winch in there.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you very much! That is exactly what I need to do. I know you had mentioned theft with the nut exposed, but here in Oklahoma I'm not worried about that. I think I'll make a trip to the HomeDepot and get this going on Saturday.
Glad I could help.
Since you dont have the hoop like I do, you can drill the mounting nut holes closer to the bumper for extra security... that is if your lights will still clear the grill.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Nice ride!! looks good!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts