Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
While I liked the others that use the center console, I always toss my phone near the cup holder under the radio and thought what a perfect spot for a wireless charging system...

Components I used:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MI3JHME/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Wireless charging kit (You dont have to use this kit, but its the one I chose to use after reading reviews).

Also:
Heavy duty double sided tape (I used Gorilla brand, works on everything)
1 (One) Alcohol pad or similar method for cleaning surface
Phillips screw driver
5/16 drill bit and drill
Panel tool if youre not able to get the console pieces off without one (mine are easy and its brand new)
Two Red 3M T-taps and two Red (or blue since I was out of red) insulated male spade terminals (or solder, tape, or your choice of attaching wires, I dont care what method you use, nor what you think is better.)

Disclaimer - I am not responsible for you burning down your truck, hurting your self (or someone else), destroying your truck, or making you redo something you took my advise for because I later found a better way to do it and changed my mind, which is common as I always find a better way to do something and/or get bored and tinker.

Steps 1 through whatever (I didnt take pictures because im sure 8,000 threads on here go over console disassembly), remove the small piece surrounding the shifter, remove the screw under it, then remove the large console assembly with the two cup holders. IT will look like this below:

I prefer to get the wiring done first. Its easy, and I just grabbed power off the existing cigarette lighter in my console since this wireless device only pulls 3 amps, and the chances of me using both the rear outlet, and the console outlet (which are wired together) and pulling enough juice is non existent. If youre worried about having 18,000 things connected, run power elsewhere or use a relay. Dark red wire is 12v positive, white wire is ground, they are switched power meaning they only have output when the ignition is on.

This is what came in the box that I will be using - At your discretion if you dont like my double sided tape method, you are more than welcome to cut out the fancy pad they supplied and use the screws to mount it. I cut it out and didnt like how it looked, but that is why I added the disclaimer, is at some point in the future, I may find a better solution for rubberized mat that I want to install there and trim around the cup holder so it looks uniform. My iPhone case has soft rubber and doesnt tend to slip, nor do I drive like an idiot, so generally the phone flopping around isnt a concern of mine.

Before drilling holes, I measured everything to make sure I wouldn't assemble it all, then have nothing fit, and I also tested the unit to make sure it worked through the plastic before assembling. Obviously it did, or I wouldn't be to this stage of the install.
***MAKE SURE YOU TEST THE LOCATION WITH YOUR PHONE***
I ended up moving mine about 1/4 of an inch from the original position as the phones tend to be pretty picky about where they charge. It takes seconds to move it, but try using a small piece of adhesive, or holding it under to make sure your phone rests where it will charge.
There is a edge that you can align the wireless charging to, and then trace it with a scribe, razor, pen, knife, fork or other tool capable of scratching plastic enough to give you a reference to drill. Due to differences in phone sizes (I have an iPhone X), make sure the placement of your unit allows for the phone to be centered over it. Those who thought it would be awesome to carry around an iPad or tablet size android as a phone may have trouble fitting your small laptop in this area to charge. The following two photos show how I aligned mine, then drilled the hole. I didnt take a picture of me putting double sided tape on the device, but imagine taking 3 strips of the tape and doing two above the element (between the LED and element), and one below. It is VERY secure to the plastic and would take quite a bit to loosen it... but as stated above, if it becomes an issue, the kit also includes the mounting plastic and screws, I just dont find them necessary.

The finalized product. The LED is blue to show power is on, and goes green when charging. Unfortunately its 2017 and I dont actually own a camera since cell phones have had them for over a decade, so if im near someone else tomorrow, I will borrow their phone and snap a picture of mine charging. I haven't used this yet for extended time as my phone was already charged, but I will report back on the quality of the charging unit. Its the same one Summit and many other retailers have for $199 and had some good reviews, so I figured it would be at least decent for the $124 Amazon wants. If I end up redoing anything, I will post updates in the thread. Thanks for reading!

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great work! How sensitive is the phone location to get it to charge?
When I took it back apart to reposition, I made it so the phone just needs to be against the shifter trim and sitting over the LED light to charge, so now its a snap and charges every time. Prior to that though, it was finicky and needed to be just perfect. I think the key is just to play with it a bit before securing it to see where your phone wants to be.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I will have to see if I can find a spot in my 2013. Great idea.

When I took it back apart to reposition, I made it so the phone just needs to be against the shifter trim and sitting over the LED light to charge, so now its a snap and charges every time. Prior to that though, it was finicky and needed to be just perfect. I think the key is just to play with it a bit before securing it to see where your phone wants to be.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thats a lot of $$ for a wireless coil and a stepdown.

why not use a $20 charger and usb adapter?
I guess im at a point in my life where im fine with spending the money on a better product knowing everything will work right the first time. I have literally 10 minutes invested in this install, everything worked perfectly, and if it doesn't work, amazon takes it back. The reviews were awesome on this kit, and all the major retailers sell the same product. They didn't have a tundra specific one, where as many other vehicles actually had kits, but it ended up working out perfectly, and im happy with what I spent, and what I got.

Im sure you can buy the $20 one and do the same install if you prefer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.