1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm wondering if there could be a class action lawsuit that could cease the implementation of ethanol fuels.
Not likely, unless you can prove E85 is causing damage in a specific scenario and correlate it to multiple owners. Unfortunately E85 is backed by the EPA so there will be a pretty steep uphill battle if something can be motivated to that level.

The biggest issue with E85 is the cost versus standard gasoline -- if it was half or two-thirds of the cost to put in my tank, then it may be worth it, but why would I want to pay nearly as much as regular gasoline but lose 25-30% of my fuel mileage and take a performance hit?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Corn, corn and more corn... First the food supply, now the fuel supply. Unfortunately corn has a lot of money which gives corn a lot of power.

Diesel is the fuel economy solution and the technology already exists. Look at the rest of the world. Diesel shouldn't actually cost more then gas, only in the US.

It's all a political problem...

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
If you take into consideration the government subsidy to produce corn for fuel it absolutely is costing us tax payers to even have E-85....

·
Registered
365 Posts
Plus they are not considering that the owners manual says to change the oil more on E85.

·
Premium Member
13,349 Posts
Add sugar in making E85. You know the renewable sugar cane from Brazil to make E85. Ethanol did mess up my generator and pressure washer. Had to use seafoam to get it right and use straight gas for it also. They only have Premium for unlead gas. I'll have to try a tank just to see what mpg's I'll get.

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
If you take into consideration the government subsidy to produce corn for fuel it absolutely is costing us tax payers to even have E-85....
The Tax credit to producers and the import tariff against importing ethanol from other countries expired in 2011. Now it's just surviving on the EPA mandate that we all use the garbage. Not me. We have planty of E0 stations in my town and that's all I use in EVERYTHING.

Check for stations around you. Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada It costs a little more but you'll get better mpg to offset some of that. The rest I'm willing to pay just to avoid ethanol.

·
Registered
168 Posts
The only ethanol free gas in western Canada that I know of is Shell V-Power 91 octane. Petro-can used to sell ethanol free, but when they brought in Ultra 94, they switched to ethanol blended on both their 91 and 94 octane gas.

For my VW and the wifes Audi, which both require 91 octane, we only buy our gas at Shell to get ethanol free.

For the Tundra, it's not worth the extra $15/tank to run Shell 91 in a truck that only needs 87 octane. So, I run the "up to 10% ethanol" blends because it's the only 87 available anywhere...

I have never seen E85 anywhere in western Canada and I don't think we even got FF Tundras up here. Ironic that the supercharger is not available from Canadian dealers either eh?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
Found this note worthy.
By relating our observed fuel economy to CO2 emission figures found in the EPA's Green Vehicle Guide we determined that our gasoline round trip produced 706.5 pounds of carbon dioxide. On E85, the CO2 emissions came to 703.1 pounds. The difference came out in E85's favor, but only by a scant 0.5 percent. Call it a tie. This is certainly not the reduction in greenhouse gas emissions we had been led to expect.

Reactions: dirtydeeds

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Found this note worthy.
kind of takes most of the environmentalist talking points away, and sure you can regrow corn and not oil, but farming is not all that clean either. I live in the central valley of CA. Today i can see the sierra's, halfway through summer i wont be able to. The air quality is not due to industry

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
I used ethanol free gas for a couple months...when it was a quarter per gallon more. Now it is almost a buck more per gallon, and I sure as shit ain't gonna put an extra buck in habbeebs pocket just to take a stand against corn farmers and our incompetent gov't.
Yikes...a BUCK A GALLON? It's about .30 more per gallon for us. Unless you buy it at a marina then it's 1.00 more per gallon....that's why I fuel my boat 6 gallons at a time when it's in the slip....no way I'm paying for marina fuel.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Marina or at an airport is the only way we can get gas free from this ethanol crap in Maine.

The test should be done to allow the fuel to sit in the tanks for a few weeks during wet weather to see how much water that ethanol sucked up and how much worse it made fuel economy.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Wonder how much diesel they use operating all that farm equipment that is used to grow all that corn and sugar cane?

Want to read something interesting? Research age and Bio fuel.

·
Registered
497 Posts
There are a couple stations in NE Wisconsin that have Non-Ethonal 87..always busy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts