Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently looking for new tires. I have the stock Michellin ltx A/S tires, and I'm happy with the mileage I currently get.
I tow a 7000 travel trailer about 7-8 times a year and I'm looking at upgrading from the P rated tires that I currently have.
Looks like the E rated tires are about 10 pounds heavier a tire.
Has anyone switched to a E rated from the Stock P rated tires and do you know the mileage difference between the 2.
I'm looking at the Toyo At 2's, Hankook drynapro ATM's, and Nitto Terra Grapplers.
I may also consider the C rated toyo's, or the XL Nittos
Thanks

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have a travel trailer about the same size and went with the cooper at3. Extremely happy with them. Just know that the E rated tire is going to stiffen up your ride. I used to get 18 mpg on stock michelins on road trips, and now get 17, so yeah it affects your milage a little, but its worth it for the safety it adds when towing. I have found for me, 50 psi seems about right for the e rated Cooper.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I also upgraded to E Rated tires when i bought my last set. They are a bit stiffer ride (when aired up alot) but ride pretty much the same at around 38-40psi. I just air them up to 55-65psi when I'm towing a heavy load, otherwise run them around 40 and they ride great.

I noticed a bit of mpg loss when I put them on but that was more than likely more due to going up in size to a 34.5" tire, adding 20's and a 3" lift.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply's. I decided to go With Nitto Terra grapplers. Got the 275/65r18xl. These will give me an added 400# capacity per tire over stock and 4000# over the combined axle rating for the truck. Hopefully these fit the bill as a better towing tire while not sacrificing to much file mileage.
Thanks for the help

1 - 4 of 4 Posts