Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased their steel powder coated bumper to replace my factory bumper due to hitting a deer. (my second one in a year) Hoping the next deer I hit just bounces off without damage. Made an insurance claim and the body shop is working with me to refund the difference.
DV8 sent the bumper via fedex wrapped in cheap foam. This is their way to save money is my guess. Obviously bumper arrived scratched down to bare metal in several places. I contacted them and their fix was to send me a rattle can of spray rubber to "fix it." I told them this wouldn't cut it, I purchased a finished product and that's what I wanted. They refuse to send me another one and offered a $50 credit. Which I laughed at. After several days, they upped their amount to $200 so I could get the bumper re-powder coated. Obviously it's going to take over $400 to get it stripped and coated, so I said no. Well they said too bad, and won't do anything else except let me return the bumper. So they'll pay to ship it back and just send it out to the next one of you guys who orders one. Because this took so long, the rest of my truck is fixed and it's waiting on the bumper. I have to get my rental car back due to the insurance company not covering it any longer. So I have to have the damaged bumper mounted, and pay more money out this spring to get it fixed.

This post is really to make myself feel better as well as give you guys a heads up on the terrible customer service from DV8 and hope this saves other people from the headache of dealing with them. Hopefully it stops a few of you from buying any other product from them as well!

Thanks for giving me a place to complain! :)

-Jeremy

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thanks for posting your experience with them. I'm starting to look for a front and rear bumper for my 2016 Tundra and I will be sure to NOT order from them. Apparently companies like that have no clue about social media and the effect a poor experience and bad publicity can have. They just lost a potential customer and I'm sure after others have read this, a few more too.

·
Registered
14,226 Posts
Might be able to get it bedlined on top of the pc, even though it is damaged. Shouldn't be much more than $200 being as you have the bumper, and it is off the truck, and smaller than a bed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I didn't see your post before I ordered from them, but I have to say, I had no trouble with KO Offroad. This is the company that sells the DV8 brand bumpers on Ebay. I do know though that the bumpers were drop shipped directly from DV8 themselves. Maybe they read your posts here or received enough complaints because my front and rear bumper were wrapped to a borderline excessive amount... seriously. There were like 5 layers of various materials wrapped around them. One layer was a thin foam, followed by the thin plastic shipping wrap, followed by a rubber material that I can only compare to the "no slip" liner some people put in tool box drawers, then another layer of the thin plastic shipping wrap, then a layer of cardboard, then more shipping wrap, followed by what seemed like a whole roll of package tape. I took pictures of me unwrapping it.

The part unwrapped is the winch mount portion which bolts up 1st to the truck with the winch. The other two parts that are still wrapped up are the front and rear bumpers. None of the parts had any scratches at all.

Here are also pictures of them installed later. Yes the truck looks stupid with stock tires... haha. I ordered some Bilstein 6112s, Nitto Ridge Grapplers in 35x12.50r20 with 20x9 black wheels with +25 offset. It will look much better once I get those on.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
What Gen is your Tundra? Ive read that the 2nd Gen Tundra bumpers had some fitment issues. The 3rd Gen though (2014 & up) don't have those same issues. Do you know who the delivery company was that delivered yours? Mine was roadrunner freight service. Maybe they have swapped freight companies since yours to mine. I just don't see how any of these bumpers could sustain damage if they were wrapped the way mine were.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I’ve been thinking about getting at least the front bumper, probably next year. I parked in the same lot off and on for the last year with a lifted MGM with DV8 front bumper and it looked great, pretty sure it was sprayed with bedliner.

The price is almost too good to pass up, if anyone has fitment issues or longer term quality issues with the 3rd Gen version please keep the thread updated.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I researched a LOT of threads/posts on multiple different websites about DV8 bumpers, from what I have seen, they use to have some issues with not wrapping the products good enough during shipping, and the 2nd Gen Tundra bumpers had some fit issues. I think like any company that is growing, they learned from mistakes and fixed some issues, as the packing was superior to any other parts ive ever ordered from any company and I had no damage at all to my bumpers. Also they clearly learned from mistakes they made with the 2nd Gen and made sure the 3rd Gen Tundra bumpers didn't have similar issues. What it comes down to for me, is you are getting a bumper for about half the price of most other places... I think that is worth cutting them some slack. Clearly they are improving with time. If they ever completely get everything 100% right, I see them possibly putting a bunch of other bumper companies out of business. It is too hard to ignore they are half the price... in some cases a 1/3 of the price.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have the 3rd gen. i Couldn't get some holes to align properly, i will try and redo it though after i get them color matched. Also, Attaching the bumper to the winch plate was terrible. The screws they gave me were tiny. So it's kinda loose and it squeaks.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I got mine powder coated white. I'm trying to install them now and i can't get the bottom holes to line up properly where you screw in the tow hooks. I have the same issue with the rear bottom holes as well. It's extremely hard to move while it's on there. I can only get 1 side to screw in and the other side there's just enough to block it from going in. Any tips?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I bought my DVB from ebay. I came wrapped like crazy. But, the package was a little damaged from shipping. No scratches or dents.
Either way, it didnt matter as I was going to and have done, Line-Xed it.
That only cost me $300.
I would of taken the $200. If Line-X was $300, powder coating would not of been that much.
You just turned a small problem into a big one.
I had no fitment issues.
Well, other than that I have a 3" body lift and I have a 2.75" gap between the top of the bumper and the bottom of the truck.
But, I already knew that and is a simple fix.
The bumper looks really good.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I bought my DVB from ebay. I came wrapped like crazy. But, the package was a little damaged from shipping. No scratches or dents.
Either way, it didnt matter as I was going to and have done, Line-Xed it.
That only cost me $300.
I would of taken the $200. If Line-X was $300, powder coating would not of been that much.
You just turned a small problem into a big one.
I had no fitment issues.
Well, other than that I have a 3" body lift and I have a 2.75" gap between the top of the bumper and the bottom of the truck.
But, I already knew that and is a simple fix.
The bumper looks really good.
I'm either just really retarded or i just got a lemon.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am not there to see it, but you are the 1st person I have ever heard of having a fitment issue with a 3rd Gen Tundra. If I was you, I would take some precise measurements from different points (front plate, top edge of the bumper, bottom edge, back edge) to the bolt holes cut in the bumper and see if the measurements are the same lengths on both sides. If they are not, or even if they are, I would contact DV8 and tell them your situation and give them the measurements to verify the bolt holes were misplaced. If they verify that, contact KO Offroad and tell them you have verified with DV8 that the bumper was not built properly. At this point, you have a couple options if that is the case. You can either have them ship you a new bumper, or you can have them refund you $200, take it to a local welding shop, pay a welder probably $80 (I use to weld and thats a fair price) to weld you in those old bolt holes. Then after its welded and grinded down flat, get you either a cobalt drill bit (special bit for metal) to drill out the new hole, or have them cut it out with a plasma cutter. You can either get the proper measurements from DV8, or put the bumper up on your truck with jack stands and mark the holes yourself with a marker. Honestly you might be able to just take it to a metal shop/welder/fabricator and give them the $200 and get it all fixed and mounted for you. I know its a pain in the @$$ but mistakes happen sometimes. As long as they do whats neccessary to make it right, is what really matters to me. Even DV8 make handle it for you as they technically are the manufacturer and should be watching over production quality. But from what I have heard from other people who had some issues (they were all Gen 2 Tundras), DV8/KO Offroad usually makes it right. Good luck and sorry to hear about your misfortune.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
UPDATE: 3.5 years on the truck. It hasn't looked good in quite some time to be honest. I had to have the original bumper mounted due to time and the fact it was the middle of winter in Michigan at the time and I didn't have time or a place to work on it. I'm finally pulling it off to have it refinished. Here is what all the edges of the bumper look like. Bottom line is that the "factory" finish on these are either not meant for Michigan weather, or aren't meant to last long at all. I'm glad some of you have received better packaging on your shipments, they must have learned their lesson. Still - price is hard to beat, but I think anybody getting one of these should plan on refinishing it correctly before mounting it the first time. Also - the fog lights they include degraded and the finish peeled off in the first 6 months. Anybody have any insight on a replacement that fits and lines up and actually lasts?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.