Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. So my 2019 TRD the dust cover for the drivers side strut is damaged. The truck only has 4200 miles. Has anyone else seen or dealt with this? I have an appointment at Toyota next week. I had a leveling kit installed 2 months ago from a reputable shop. Will Toyota try to blame it on the leveling kit? The leveling kit has nothing to do with this issue, but I could also see toyota telling me they won't warranty it because of it. Any advice I would appreciate.

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
Certainly was damaged when the spring was compressed for the spacer install. Not a warranty item. Not a big deal at all, if the cosmetics bother you then use some needle nose pliers and work the boot back down.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Certainly was damaged when the spring was compressed for the spacer install. Not a warranty item. Not a big deal at all, if the cosmetics bother you then use some needle nose pliers and work the boot back down.
The spring was never compressed and the leveling kit was installed 2 months ago, this issues just happened. You cannot use pliers to pull this boot down as its hard plastic not rubber.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your right, it is a warranty issue and that is some helluva tough plastic.
Well you're certainly wrong, no pun intended. When you pay 50K + for a car that is only a few months old you're damn right it's a warranty issues. The dust cover is not replaceable, the whole strut needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
149 Posts
As a grown man I would be embarssed to try and get a warranty on a piece of plastic that could easily be reset by hand. Never mind the fact that the part has been modified from OEM. Icing on the cake is spacers on a 50k truck, lmao.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As a grown man I would be embarssed to try and get a warranty on a piece of plastic that could easily be reset by hand. Never mind the fact that the part has been modified from OEM. Icing on the cake is spacers on a 50k truck, lmao.
Unfortunately you're certainly wrong again. The icing on the cake is you passively commenting on something that you clearly have no knowledge of. Get a life.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
No comment on the dust covers, but spacers on a new $50k truck is not a good idea. They ruin the ride, throw out the geometry, can cause strut failure (collapse), and are generally a bad way to get a little lift. At the minimum, spend a few extra bucks and put some 5100s on it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No comment on the dust covers, but spacers on a new $50k truck is not a good idea. They ruin the ride, throw out the geometry, can cause strut failure (collapse), and are generally a bad way to get a little lift. At the minimum, spend a few extra bucks and put some 5100s on it.
Unfortunately I did not do my research about leveling kits and wished I would have done the 5100's after reading these forums. I will switch everything out soon.

·
Registered
13,567 Posts
Please update your thread after the dealer visit, looking forward to hearing the result. Thx.
I'm curious as to the outcome as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have run lift spacers for more than 186,000 miles on my 2010 Tundra, with no problems so I don.t see any issue if they are installed correctly. That being said, if the shock is turned to wrong way it can cause many issues. The kits will in many cases recommend turning the shock 90 degrees to the front or rear based on how the spring compresses. The spacers themselves make the strut/spring turn 90 degrees either front or rear. If the installer did not pay attention to how the spring was initially and installed it in the wrong position I would expect to see the damage you are showing as the way the spring compresses can change ever so slightly. The same problem can happen with the 5100 struts which is why the installation procedures have you mark the spring, retainer and strut tower so all stay in proper alignment. If anything is installed the wrong way it will completely throw off the front end geometry when the suspension cycles. the slight change in how the spring compresses would cause it to catch and crush the shock cover. I would suspect that the blue paint mark on the spring should be facing the tire.

·
Registered
12 Posts
One final thought is they may have installed the driver side strut tower on the passenger side. This would also mess up the geometry. Just a thought.
My 2019 SR5 has the driver and passenger springs marked differently from the factory, but it is the SX package not the TRD. It has yellow over blue on passenger and blue over red driver on the spring. Its just two paint dots on each spring. They are both mounted with the tapper at the bottom on the back edge closer to the tire. The spacer should also have the proper side facing out as some are not flat and have an indicator as to how it should be properly placed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well it’s next week, what happened?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
So this what the dealership claimed to happen. I have escalated this issue to corporate and they are further investigating.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have run lift spacers for more than 186,000 miles on my 2010 Tundra, with no problems so I don.t see any issue if they are installed correctly. That being said, if the shock is turned to wrong way it can cause many issues. The kits will in many cases recommend turning the shock 90 degrees to the front or rear based on how the spring compresses. The spacers themselves make the strut/spring turn 90 degrees either front or rear. If the installer did not pay attention to how the spring was initially and installed it in the wrong position I would expect to see the damage you are showing as the way the spring compresses can change ever so slightly. The same problem can happen with the 5100 struts which is why the installation procedures have you mark the spring, retainer and strut tower so all stay in proper alignment. If anything is installed the wrong way it will completely throw off the front end geometry when the suspension cycles. the slight change in how the spring compresses would cause it to catch and crush the shock cover. I would suspect that the blue paint mark on the spring should be facing the tire.
Thank you for your insight. everything looks like it was installed correctly, the 4X4 shop that did the install has done 11 of these leveling kits on the tundra in the past 24 months and has not once had or seen any issues like this. With that said I don't believe that this problem is from the leveling kit. It does appear there are several instances of people having problems with leveling kits on the tundra though, which now I wished I would have done a bit more research before I had mine installed. I plan to upgrade the shocks to 5100's, as that seems the more safer route. This is a 50K+ truck and I am not one to cut corners on anything.

·
Registered
149 Posts
So, I guess it is safe to say that you did not extend the bump stops when the spacers were installed. Got lucky overextending the coilover and only crunching the boot instead of the base of the coilover. Good luck on getting a new plastic boot.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So, I guess it is safe to say that you did not extend the bump stops when the spacers were installed. Got lucky overextending the coilover and only crunching the boot instead of the base of the coilover. Good luck on getting a new plastic boot.
The strut was not over extended, this was and is not the issues that caused this problem. I am going to replace the struts either way so...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts