Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am looking at a set of 275/70/18 duratrac's... what else would you look at... toyo is out of the question... dont like the look, but from the guys that have duratracs what are your opinions? how is the road noise? tread life? grip off road and on pavement?

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
I would also look at BFG AT (cheaper) and Cooper ST MAXX (about the same price). DuraTrac is a good tire and looks sweet. I have read some complaints about its sidewall on some other forums. I did read many positive reviews on it also.

Nitto Trail Grappler is expensive at this size, I see. It seems to be cheaper at 295/70/18.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not a fan of the BFG at all!!!! and cooper has treadwear issues... but what sidewall issues have you heard?

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Some have complained that DuraTrac has weak sidewall. Some has complained about wobbly ride. But most posts complaining about DuraTrac's sidewall are from Diesel truck forums. Most reviews I read on Tundra forums seem to be positive. Maybe it has to do with the weight of Tundra. Not sure.

What do you not like about BFG's? Curious. Cooper ST MAXX is new tire (came out less than a year ago, or close to it, I think). Apparently it's pretty quiet for the aggressive tread it has.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I've run Duratracs in a variety of sizes from 245/70R16 on a GM 2500HD to the 275/65R18 on the Tundra to 325/65R18 on my Ford and I still love these tires. Only thing is they don't come in any larger sizes for 18" wheels! I prefer this tire and would like to stick with it, I could fit 37" O.D. tires but I would have to look at other models.

They're a good all around tire whereas most mud-traction tires are not as good on icy surfaces if they're not siped. The tread is soft to give it flexibility in cold weather but that means it may wear faster. I run these all year round.

On a HD pickup run them at sidewall rating - 65/80 PSI and on a light duty run them higher than 50 I'd say. I wouldn't do 34PSI with them.

I don't have much to comment on tire hum, it appeals to certain people but can be just plain out annoying to others. I don't mind. On my Tundra I could tell my ground travel speed by the pitch of the hum actually.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No I haven't looked at the MTR, I have looked at the more aggressive A/T's. I just don't like BFG A/T's... Don't like the way they look, get them in some Carolina red clay and they are useless...

·
Registered
877 Posts
I had Michelin LTX AT2s on my old truck and will put them on the Tundra when the time comes to replace the factory set.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
So far I love my Duratracs. I've only had them for a month or so but they are not loud on road (you can hear them but they are not obnoxious), they ride nice, and look awesome. I think they are a great split between a mud terrain and an all terrain.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had Michelin LTX AT2s on my old truck and will put them on the Tundra when the time comes to replace the factory set.
Had those on a ram that I owned before the tundra... wore awesome, but once again, didn't clean very well in the NC red clay, seeing as my hunting spot is a red clay road I need something that will clean fairly well. But I don't want to go with a straight up MT

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Duratracs are over rated. They dont last as they are rated to last and the side walls are way too thin.
I would recommend the Toyo A/T 2s but since the op does not like them, then my second recommendation would be the Michelin LTX A/T 2.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Have you looked into Nitto Trail Grappler? I found it interesting that the same Nitto Trail Grappler at 295/70/18 seems to be cheaper than at 275/70/18. Very strange.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Duratrac's rock!

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Duratracs are over rated. They dont last as they are rated to last and the side walls are way too thin.
I would recommend the Toyo A/T 2s but since the op does not like them, then my second recommendation would be the Michelin LTX A/T 2.
Do the Duratracs have a treadwear rating? I wasn't able to find one.

I haven't had any problems with mine after about 1.5 years. They're a good tire for guys who want something close to an MT but can handle winters without running a second set of tires.
My luck we haven't had barely any snow since I've bought the tires......:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Do the Duratracs have a treadwear rating? I wasn't able to find one.

I haven't had any problems with mine after about 1.5 years. They're a good tire for guys who want something close to an MT but can handle winters without running a second set of tires.
My luck we haven't had barely any snow since I've bought the tires......:rolleyes:
They used to have a treadwear rating. I think it was 50,000 miles. The ones I had did not last long at all. I dont spin my tires on burn outs and things like that, because I dont want to wear my tires out prematurely.
I myself dont care for MT tires, I prefer a good AT.
Maybe the duratracs have gotten better since I last owned them.

Reactions: theoat
G

·
I have had the duratracs for several months now. I love them. They have done very well for.me. I haven't gotten too much yet. But I think the issues that have been brought up about the sidewalls has been resolved. When the tires first came out they were a cheap "Walmart" tire and didn't have the E rating. But I have cornered fine with mine, towed, hauled cargo, and all that and haven't had issues...

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
It sounded like people were running quite a range of pressures too. I don't think I'd want to run below 40 psi

1 - 20 of 22 Posts