Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i went down to meineke to check out the dual exhaust cost for my new tundra. the manager told me it would cost about 600 bucks but it will only last about 3 years. he continued to say that the exhaust system that comes stock with our new tundra will last 12 - 15 years.

is he wrong because i really want dual exhaust??? my wife was with me when i went to get it done and she heard everything the tech said.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It depends on what kind of steel it is and where you live. If its T-409 Stainless Steel it should last a good period of time and T-304 Stainless Steel just stays more shiny than T409 for longer periods of time and should I add a lil bit more durable. Tell me what its made of and i'll tell you if it will make it past 3 years. :D

·
Registered
72 Posts
It depends on what kind of steel it is and where you live. If its T-409 Stainless Steel it should last a good period of time and T-304 Stainless Steel just stays more shiny than T409 for longer periods of time and should I add a lil bit more durable. Tell me what its made of and i'll tell you if it will make it past 3 years. :D
There is a big difference between 409 and 304, more then just shine. 409 will rust and the welds will rust. Look at the attachments below.

The JBA system is 409 stainless steel with a nickel platted tip. The single is 3" manderal bent 409 2 into in with one out.

The dual is a two into one muffler with two out and 2 1/2 409 tubing. Nothing on the JBA system is 304 stainless it is all 409.

There is a big difference between 304 and 409.

304_304L_Data_Sheet.pdf 304 stainless steal

409_Data_Sheet.pdf 409 stainless steal

If you want to try something interesting, take a magnet at see if it will stick to a system that is made out of 409, (magnaflow, flow master, JBA,) it will. There is so much steal and impurities that it will stick.
Then try it with a system made out of 304, the only one to date that is 304 is (ZOOMERS) it will not stick.
409 has a high impurity, steal count it WILL RUST very fast. 304 will not, it is more expensive yes. Does it look better, yes. Will it last a lot longer yes.

There is no comparison between 304 and 409. And a two into one muffler back to two pipes is not a true dual exhaust, you have two tail pipes but one muffler.

In a single system a Y pipe is used to help eliminate DRONE, and create a scavenging effect to balance out both exhaust manifolds and increase HP and torque. This is basic exhaust engineering, do not let somebody tell you something else. If they are not using one it is because of the cost factor.

·
Registered
72 Posts
There is a big difference between 409 and 304, more then just shine. 409 will rust and the welds will rust. Look at the attachments below.

The JBA system is 409 stainless steel with a nickel platted tip. The single is 3" manderal bent 409 2 into in with one out.

The dual is a two into one muffler with two out and 2 1/2 409 tubing. Nothing on the JBA system is 304 stainless it is all 409.

There is a big difference between 304 and 409.

304_304L_Data_Sheet.pdf 304 stainless steal

409_Data_Sheet.pdf 409 stainless steal

If you want to try something interesting, take a magnet at see if it will stick to a system that is made out of 409, (magnaflow, flow master, JBA,) it will. There is so much steal and impurities that it will stick.
Then try it with a system made out of 304, the only one to date that is 304 is (ZOOMERS) it will not stick.
409 has a high impurity, steal count it WILL RUST very fast. 304 will not, it is more expensive yes. Does it look better, yes. Will it last a lot longer yes.

There is no comparison between 304 and 409. And a two into one muffler back to two pipes is not a true dual exhaust, you have two tail pipes but one muffler.

In a single system a Y pipe is used to help eliminate DRONE, and create a scavenging effect to balance out both exhaust manifolds and increase HP and torque. This is basic exhaust engineering, do not let somebody tell you something else. If they are not using one it is because of the cost factor.

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
Ok i understand the difference in the quality and durability of the metals, but how does that effect performance, will the 409 be less effective than the 304.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Zoomers

Ok i understand the difference in the quality and durability of the metals, but how does that effect performance, will the 409 be less effective than the 304.
No if they are the same design and the only difference is the material, one 304 and the other 409 you will get the same performance. Sound will be little different, but the question is, how long do you want it to last.
Where you live road and weather conditions. 409 will rust, the welds will rust, 304 will not nor will the welds.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Zoomers

There is one thing to consider, the performance gains that ZOOMERS gets is mainly because of our patented technology. NOBODY else has it or can use it, our mufflers have a international patten on the design and the tecknowlogy. That why I can safely say the results you get with ZOOMERS can only be with ZOOMERS. We guarantee our performance gains.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well Ive had my JBA cat back on my car for over a year I have over 25,000 miles on it and no rust 409 is a good Quality metal just like there cat back.

If the kit is dual in dual out only sharing the casing how is it not as you put it "TRUE DUAL" In fact I think it is a better design and cleaner having it run into one muffler then staring at 2

as for welds the whole kit is a slip on the only weld is at the tips and the muffler and they still look great.

if your so worried about exhaust performance I think you would of left in the X-pipe on the LX platform exhaust

Im not trying to knock your exhaust but it looks like your trying to BASH JBA. I guess you must be feeling it since they launched there tundra exhaust.

·
Registered
72 Posts
WHAT THA 5 FINGERS SAY TO THE FACE - SLAP!:eek: :D
I am not trying to bash JBA or any other company. There is a difference between 409 and 304, and there is a difference when you run 2 1/2 in tubing into one muffler and then have two pipes coming out.

A true dual exhaust on a v-8 or v-6 is two independent lines, from exhaust manifolds back to where it exits the undercarriage of the truck. That is all I stated, and yes there is a lot of companies that use 409 and there custermers are happy.

The info I posted on the difference between 304 and 409 is of the internet, not my opinion.

I am glad you are happy with JBA, we have done a lot of joint ventures in the past in R&D and talk shop all the time. They make a great header system and a nice exhaust system.

And again I am glad you are happy with it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I ordered my CM 4x4 with the BORLA dual exhaust offered by Toyota. Does anyone know anything about the BORLA system?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I ordered my CM 4x4 with the BORLA dual exhaust offered by Toyota. Does anyone know anything about the BORLA system?
I had a Borla system on my suburban(about 10 yrs ago,they may be different now).....man that thing sounded good.It was a little loud when you hammered it(like flowmaster,but deeper)....but I was very happy with it

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am not trying to bash JBA or any other company. There is a difference between 409 and 304, and there is a difference when you run 2 1/2 in tubing into one muffler and then have two pipes coming out.

A true dual exhaust on a v-8 or v-6 is two independent lines, from exhaust manifolds back to where it exits the undercarriage of the truck. That is all I stated, and yes there is a lot of companies that use 409 and there custermers are happy.

The info I posted on the difference between 304 and 409 is of the internet, not my opinion.

I am glad you are happy with JBA, we have done a lot of joint ventures in the past in R&D and talk shop all the time. They make a great header system and a nice exhaust system.

And again I am glad you are happy with it.

I keep seeing 'ZOOMERS' on here 'not bashing' the competition but trying to relay that his product is far superior. Being a mechanical engineer his comparisons on 304 and 409 were interesting. I wanted to let everyone know what was 'really' going on between the two metals and why the magnetic vs. non-magnetic. First off, I'm not sure why your muffler being magnetic or not really matters. Who is going to put refrigerator magnets on their exhaust?

Zoomers, I'm not saying anything you said was wrong I just want to clarify some things. 409SS is a ferritic stainless vs. the 304 which is an austenitic stainless. The reason 409 is magnetic is due to it's 'higher' carbon content (0.12% C for 409 vs. 0.03% C for 304). These are rough percentages but they must contain less than that in order to classify as austenitic or ferritic. 304 is only more expensive because of it's high nickel and chromium contents. That's all.

Both have excellent corrosion resistance and it is true that the austenitic stainless is a more corrosion resistant material. But......409 has been chosen for exhaust systems by auto manufacturers due to it's strength against heat. And what happens to exhausts?......THEY GET VERY HOT.

When 304 gets VERY HOT it undergos sensitization. That means the chromium depletes the interior of the grain structure and will cause the steel to corrode very easily.

This is in no way knocking Zoomers. I'm sure they have a good product but saying that 304 is far better than 409 is incorrect.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I think the factory engineers are so good, that all the after market intakes and exhaust are within 2-3 hp of each other. that's my HO.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had a Borla system on my suburban(about 10 yrs ago,they may be different now).....man that thing sounded good.It was a little loud when you hammered it(like flowmaster,but deeper)....but I was very happy with it
I am comming out of a
chevy k2500 Crewcab with stage 3 flowmasters and they are a little loud......
The Tundra with Borla that I test drove didn't seem that loud to me.... but like you said they do sound a little deeper and sound good too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts