Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the factory Toyota drop in bed liner. I wanted to take it out to clean behind it after several loads of dirt and mulch.

I have a Undercover Flex cover with the cargo bed rail system. The bed liner is under the bed rails. It would seem I would have to loosen if not remove the the rails to get the bed liner out and it would be almost impossible to put back in without removing the cover.

Would I be able to cut the bed liner just below the rails and use some 3M Velcro to hold it in place? This way I would have the ability to remove when needed without messing with the cover or rails.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
IMO, I would remove the liner and get the bed sprayed. I don't think Velcro would be strong enough to hold it. The lined being under the rails somewhat helps it hold its shape. If you cut it, it would probably start to bow and pull away from the Velcro. Even though you have the Undercover, I think it may look rough if you cut it.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
You will have to remove the accessory rail to pull the liner. You can't cut it because that thing is not going to stay put once you put a load on it.

I'm not a fan of the spray on liners. They are like sandpaper. Forget about sliding items into the bed and not damaging them, surfboards, bikes, gear ect. Also moving heavy items. Last week I picked up a long block engine on a pallet I was so thankful the drop in liner allowed all that weight to be slid into place before securing it. If I had a spray in liner getting that motor into the bed would have been a nightmare.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
I agree on spray ons - What I did was remove the rails, remove the liner, clean the inside of the bed really well. Scotch brite the paint until it was tacky, cleaned with acetone, and rolled on a coat of that cheap roll on bed liner from O'reilly. It wouldn't be really adequate on its own, but it prevents the liner from scratching through the paint when dirt gets in there.

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
I think if you take off the rails and remove the liner then cut slots from the top of the screw holes to the top of the liner would give you slots so that the next time you can remove just by loosening the bolts.
I don't know if you need it tight at the top. I have the other non rail liner and it is not secured. It just sits there.
Spray in is a hype thing. Some think it looks better but it sure doesn't function as well

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.