Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to have my grille color-matched and hydrodipped, but have to leave it for a week. Not sure I want to drive around without a grille. Anybody done this lately?

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
Your risks are to your radiator and to your air intake, if the opening is protected by a grill. I would say if you are not doing much or any highway driving where something could hit the front end hard enough to damage what's behind there, it's not worth worrying about. We have an older vehicle in our fleet with a missing grill we never bothered replacing that we've driven for months without problems. If you will be doing a lot of highway driving I'd try to time it so you spend as little time without the grill as possible.

·
Banned
5,396 Posts
I have switched grills 4 times now and each time I had my grill off for a 2mo period, no difference to the truck. Now I'm not saying to do it but I did it and nothing happened

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thx guys! I think I will avoid driving it as much as possible, but not leave it parked for a whole week!!

·
Registered
463 Posts
put window bug screen in front of the radiator. its a good idea to do even with the grill on

Reactions: TAMUTUNDRA

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just in case anyone cared, you can take the gray center section out of the chrome bezel and replace it. All protected now until I get me de-chromed parts back!!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Pics when it gets back, please! Are you matching body color on the grill surround? I'm very tempted to go down this route - would be interested in hearing how much paint is running you...

derp

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am having the chrome portions hydro-dipped, Kryptek Typhoon camo. Looks kinda like the predator's skin from the movies. I will post pix.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Like it a lot. Did the shop that did the hydro dip have the larger format Kryptex?

derp

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
What does something like that run you?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Derp, he had to order the pattern for my grille, I am sure if his supplier has it he could get it. Verger, mine cost $390, kinda pricey compared to plastidip, but cheaper than getting a color match grille.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Not to hijack this thread, but since your talking grills...

I have a dime sized spot on my SR5 where it looks like the gray has come off and it shows the black base color. Does anyone think this is covered under warranty? I don't see a dent of any kind....

I've got my 10,000 mile oil/tires later today. I plan to mention it to the service writer, but I wanted to ask you "professionals" :)

----added:
While driving backwards, I had it replaced by a dealership. Awesome service.

·
"Resident Liberal"
12,237 Posts
Drive backwards

Reactions: theoat
1 - 18 of 18 Posts