Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
So what do you guys think or have experience with as being the best driving style to get best mileage.
I didn't buy this truck to get good gas mileage, I know that. Just curious what works best.
I have a 2011 rock warrior with 3inch spacer level and 305/55/20 nitto terra graps on fuel hostage rims.
I have stock intake, bamuffler budget system and tonnopro tri fold top.

According to my indash avg mpg I'm at 14.5.

I have tried a couple different driving styles. Going with slow steady acceleration and gradual braking for a couple tanks I got 13.6 mpg according to gps.

Last couple tanks I gun it out of the gate getting to speed quicker and the gps is showing 14.2mpg.

I drive about 60 miles a day round trip between home and work. About 40 miles of it is on freeway.

Thoughts??
Drop the A/T tires. Do 60 mph on the interstate. There you go. You're welcome. :cool:

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
I have an 07 CM Limited 5.7l. I still can get over 20mpg. I use street tires at 40psi. Close to 174k miles I should know what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Best way to save gas would truly be driving like a little old lady with a deathgrip on the steering wheel. Heck ya might average 30 mpg that way!!

·
Registered
790 Posts
One suggestion is to install a Scangauge or Ultragauge. You can monitor a lot of fuel economy related stuff with them. Mostly it's a matter of training your right foot.
Mendonsy is exactly right............training your right foot. Your ECU will learn your driving habits and your tranny will change gears depending on how you drive. Mine's trained to change gears faster allowing to run on lower rpms. Try to keep it under 2k rpms, slow down ahead of time for stop signs/stop lights. Use your brakes as little as possible. Have a consistent smooth acceleration.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Mendonsy is exactly right............training your right foot. Your ECU will learn your driving habits and your tranny will change gears depending on how you drive.
The Prius (and many other vehicles for that matter) have a mode that trains you to do this by either monitoring the output and displaying when your out of economy range with your accelerator. My 2010 Wrangler U had the monitor display too. And it works to help you learn when your pushing past the point of best economy. The Prius economy mode actually dampens your input a bit to help you achieve it, while still allowing you to over ride it immediately by really stomping on the pedal for safety sake to accelerate out of the way.

I sort of know how to do it. But I am a rather conservative driver anyway. I get my regular 16 - 16.5 out of mine. And the wife does her part in her Prius making our "family gas mileage" a bit more acceptable with her regular 45-50 mpg. I am the "anti-Prius". Our carport is a hypocrisy.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Trying to conserve gas is not much fun, and even if I got 1-2 mpg better, it's not making enough of a finanical impact to make not having fun worth it. Hell, wife and I got rid of her Prius and went back to a normal gas car, partially because of that! Life is too short to not enjoy the drive.

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
I agree with this. I think looking at household average mpg as a whole is a good way of looking at it. If you are pumping $80/week in your tundra, and your wife/husband/lover/dog/cat/transient roomate is only pumping $80/month in their car, trying to squeeze out 1-2mpg won't make much of a difference at the end of the month.

You'd also be amazed at how much money you can save by avoiding unnecessary trips, and trying to combine all your errands into a single trip. I've lost track how many times I used $4 in fuel to go to the hardware store to buy $3 worth of nuts and bolts :lol: I'm more aware of stuff like that now and will try to schedule runs like that around my work to home commute, or else just take the motorcycle or something :D

I actually bought a Camry to commute with, and intend to sell my truck one of these days. I'm dragging my feet though....still trying to find a reason to justify keeping it :banghead:

You're right about total. We don't take the truck to do errands and get groceries. We use the Prius.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My biggest tip would be to use the gear selector to select lower gears when you're decelerating and/or going down a steep hill, so that you're using the momentum of the truck in order to turn the engine. This not only saves gas (which would otherwise be getting burned in order to keep the engine turning over) PLUS it saves brake pads. I know my girlfriend gets concerned when I do this since the engine revs up and she's afraid I'm going to blow up the tranny or some such, but by selecting the right gear, I never go over 3K which I can't imagine would hurt anything.

I learned this trick from my mom, of all people, and it is rather fun to watch the instantaneous mpg readout bump up to 99.9mpg in the process.

·
Registered
361 Posts
That read out on the dash is not accurate.Its an estimate.You can save fuel you just half to drive it like a grandma.Easy ecceleration keep the rpms low between shifts and free way is just the matter of finding the sweet mph and having a steady foot.Ive had my 5.7l crew max 4x4 up to 24mpg on the free way right about 70-75mph.When I first got the truck on the first tank of gas it said 8.It kinda freeked me out but it gets on average 17mpg if not more but I don't hot rod it.The biggest trick for city driving is don't race for the red light.Time it and never fully stop.I Have a flowmaster cat back and afe cold air intake not sure if that's improved the mpg.My foots been a little heavier since though:)
Pute it in 4 wheel drive and granny around you will see your gas go fast.

I just read in another post the tundra has a kick down when you get off the throttle.Mine don't lol it keep going I half to use accesive brake.My Titan kicked down and had a high stall on take off.Tundra has some issues in gearing and throttle response imo.At least the accelerator has not stuck though..........Knock on wood.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Turn the dash readout out to temperature setting and enjoy the power....if we wanted good gas mileage we would be on a Vespa talk forum:)

·
Registered
160 Posts
When i purchased my Tundra about 2 months ago I was very hesitant because of fuel economy. The truck I had before got much better mpg's but it was a midsize truck and not what I really wanted.

My gf urged me to buy the tundra cuz she knew I really liked it. She offered here Nissan Altima to me to use anytime I wanted to transport kids, run errands, etc... I figured that would offset the higher fuel cost.

Well, just two months later I may have used here care 2 or 3 times. I love driving this truck and I like to drive it whenever I can, so the deal with driving her car didn't really work out so well. :cool:

We do take her car often to run errnads but damn I can't wait to turn the wheels of that Tundra! :drool:

When I first bought the Tundra it was really cold here and I was getting 13 - 14 mpg. Now I am getting 14.5 to 15+. When to the cabin two weeks ago and I go almost 17 mpg!

·
Registered
830 Posts
I'm working on extending vehicle ownership out past 10 years. That way I can have 3. Wife and I use high(er) mpg daily drivers. Truck is for weekend duty, or oddly enough, travel--large part of why I got the truck was for the eventual travel trailer I wanted.

Otherwise, I do as others here: moderate throttle to get up to speed, avoiding left turns, low cruising speed, avoiding city traffic. Cruise is nice on occasion but just one downshift on a hill will suck fuel--whereas I can let speed sag a bit and crest w/o shifting. I put my Scanguage in the truck and keep dibs on what it's doing--but in the end, as long as I'm not filling it up more than once/week I kinda don't care--much of the time it's more like once/month.

Have to say, I do enjoy driving the truck slowly. It's a nice big bouncy ride. But 5 days a week I get my fix going much faster in a car that still gets high mpg's.

·
Registered
49 Posts
mpg

if you are stressing about fuel mileage you probably shouldn't be driving a truck with a V8 putting out close to 400 hp , and none of the add ons like cold air intake or exhaust systems will help either , all they do is make more noise under the hood and out the tail pipe and in cold winter temps most cold air intake systems hurt fuel mpg , toyota has had a hard time meeting govt recomended mpg , their engineers have already done the work for you as far as building an efficient vehicle imho :)

·
Registered
429 Posts
4.7 ltr

I have gotten my best mileage (16 +) but my normal everyday tank of fuel I avg 14.2 mpg. I don't tow anything. I do not ride the brake. When I am coming up to a stop , I let the engine brake for me. (saves brake shoes and pads)I try not to idle it long. This winters snow and cold killed my gas mileage terribly. Seems the few times I did let it warm up while I was shoveling a path out of the driveway my mileage avg'ed 10 at best .When I drive on the highway I try to get it through the gears quickly so it is in the closest ratio the longest,makes sense right? I can't avoid city traffic . I do need to remove the sand bag winter weight from the bed , no sense hauling around the extra 250 lbs .

·
Registered
361 Posts
if you are stressing about fuel mileage you probably shouldn't be driving a truck with a V8 putting out close to 400 hp , and none of the add ons like cold air intake or exhaust systems will help either , all they do is make more noise under the hood and out the tail pipe and in cold winter temps most cold air intake systems hurt fuel mpg , toyota has had a hard time meeting govt recomended mpg , their engineers have already done the work for you as far as building an efficient vehicle imho :)
They designed the set up to run quiet and be able to haul a trailer.Its a tunaboat(cadilac)with a trailer hitch.They did design an add on to improve performance and milage as an option.Leaning the mixture will save gas if you drive it in a manner to do so sacrificing the quiet ride.Toyota does not design all the parts that go into there vehicles they come from a company that specializes in particular parts and they just assemble it.Thats why parts cost so much more from a dealership.They can not build the perfect vehicle they half to manage what a consumer can afford so they can make profits.

·
Premium Member
2,185 Posts
Just use 1/4 of a tank your truck will be lighter.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts