Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Driving on 3 digit speeds

4K views 51 replies 27 participants last post by  bamma 
#1 ·
Hello all,

Tried to push my crewmax 4x4 5.7L to beyond 100 and it started to feel like I am driving on ice. Any suggestions on how to keep the truck stable at 100+ mph ? One other hand I dont have any problem pushing sedans beyond 140+

Thanks y'all

#39 ·
Here is the thing...

A drivers limitations skill wise is likely the largest safety factor, not necessarily the vehicle... This goes for on the track or off.

You could be driving a porsche 911 and not know how to drive and someone in an m series can smoke you on a track... Somewhere there is a video of a tundra doin it on a track with turns, not just drag strip... Was cool to watch.

No matter what, my tunder is waaayyyyyyy better than the fj at higher speeds...

#40 ·
#41 ·
Nope, it was a tinder running with cars... maybe bout a year plus ago

#43 · (Edited)
I'll say this, I did do once 115 and the truck wasn't squirrly or on ice. I use street tires and I'm not lowered or lifted. I was racing an 06 SS back in 07. What we aren't thinking about is that little black box we have in our trucks. So claiming anything on insurance won't make it. As mentioned before I'll get up to 80 and that's it. I even did 90+ trying to rush to my mom before she passed away for 800 miles. That was wrong but I didn't get the chance to say anything because I didn't make it there in time. Life is short enough without taking unnecessary chances. My dad passed away when I was 18 and he passed away when we were arguing. So I didn't have that luxury of saying I'm sorry. That's why the rush was on to mom's side. I didn't want the same with her. To give you a timeframe my dad passed away in 77. Plenty of years carrying guilt around because of it.

#44 ·
Never noticed an "unstable" like feeling when driving 100+mph in the Tundra. Maybe get a TRD Swaybar :dunno:

#47 ·
I ran my 05 GTO up to the limiter right before I got rid of it, but that was mostly because I felt like I needed to "check that box" on the to-do list. Once you get there, 160 isn't a whole lot more eventful than 100 or 120. Don't really see the point in a basically stock Tundra, though, other than the occasional on-ramp pull or open road pass just to let it stretch its legs.

To the OP's question, if you don't have the background or aptitude to flesh out why a vehicle exhibits certain behaviors at triple digit speeds, then you really should consider slowing down until you do.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

This post has been deleted
#52 ·
Are you serious? No shit, cars have blowouts too. Thank you for that amazing insight. But cars also have a much lower center of gravity. I've had high speed blowouts in cars and never felt like I was going to flip.

I've seen trucks and suv's flip at fairly low speeds. Unfortunately I helped at the scene of such an accident and 3 of the 4 passengers didn't make it.

I also saw an isuzu flip at relatively slow highway speed (55ish) and the driver walked away.

#51 · (Edited)
The day after we bought my truck we had to go on a 700-plus mile road trip. I woke up from a nap in the passenger seat to my wife with the speedo pegged at 90 mph cursing at some slow-poke in a CTS to GTF out of her way. I commented that I would never have known how fast we were going if I didn't look at the speedo, and that the Tundra felt like a battle tank going down the road at that speed. She said it was easily twice the vehicle my Dakota was in terms of smoothness and ride quality.

Once or twice I may have touched 100 but that's it. Among other things, it's exploring the lcapability imits of the tires. That is the biggie nobody ever thinks about and why it isn't advisable to do triple digit speeds for any length of time or on a regular basis without tires with a high speed rating. I am not afraid to do 85-90 if I am in a rush. Normal cruising is 75-80. If I do 60 I feel like I am sitting still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.