Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have always changed my oils at 5,000 miles. My last work car VW Jetta TDi was sold with 358,000 miles on it and still running great!

Diesel truck/cars
Military Vehicles
Gas car/trucks
Boats once every season
UTV every 50 hours or so
Show cars twice a year

Oil is a cheap alternative to an engine rebuild

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have always changed my oils at 5,000 miles. My last work car VW Jetta TDi was sold with 358,000 miles on it and still running great!

Diesel truck/cars
Military Vehicles
Gas car/trucks
Boats once every season
UTV every 50 hours or so
Show cars twice a year

Oil is a cheap alternative to an engine rebuild
Peace of mind that doesn't break the Bank..... I think with all the debate on when to change the OIL. I agree with most, that 5,000 miles is not unreasonable to change your oil. Bottom line, it's you truck and you can do what ever you want to it, including following Toyota's Maintenance Schedule !

·
Premium Member
8,114 Posts
Sorry BigShasta, but your mouth is clearly larger than your data source. Of which I have provided multiples. When this vehicle is used as most of us do in areas considered sever service, which includes hilly terrain, short drives, and towing, the oil should be changed at the interval I have stated which via toyotas own website is 5k. Please provide your data source as I have showing what the oil testing companies such as Blackstone (where there sole job is testing oil) suggest using something other than conventional oil? The only vehicles we have EVER seen benifits arise are turbocharged vehicles, again this is related to the oils ability to resist thermal breakdown. I will say BigShasta that I for one would not want to be buying that truck you are selling if it was operated in our environment with your extended intervals... To the OP I am happy to help, TO "BigS" I wish you the best in your endeavors...
I never said there weren't severe service intervals where the oil can't go 10K miles, of course there are. But for you to suggest to someone that if they use synthetic oil and go to 10K like the manufacturer says (assuming the conditions are correct) that they'll ruin the engine is just ignorance.

My issue with your "facts" is the suggestion that you get no benefit from synthetic oil. You think its a responsible suggestion to tell someone to put conventional oil in an engine that the manufacturer says REQUIRES synthetic? Talk about invalidate a warranty. You think the guys on here that have blown engines would get them paid for if Toyota knew they did that?

I have blackstone oil analysis for every oil change I've done. Where the experts say 10K is a safe interval for this engine and my mobile one synthetic oil. But wait, maybe they are lying to me because they seem to tell you something different. Yeah, I'd really listed to some guy that just popped up with 12 posts.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yeah, I'd really listed to some guy that just popped up with 12 posts.[/QUOTE]

Since you brought it up the only thing that your excessive post count proves is, A. You like to listen to the sound of your own voice, and B. You clearly have a LOT of time on your hands... I bid you ado...For you are CLEARLY not speaking from facts which I have shown you repeatedly. Please feel free to to write a book in response, however I have been told to "never argue with an ignorant person, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with a lifetime of experience!" And you sir are proving that fact.:x

·
Registered
6 Posts
There's this very same debate about oil change intervals and type of oil in about 100+ threads over at Bob Is The Oil Guy. Some passion about this topic, to say the least.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just changed my 01 Tundra v8 oil with Mobil one 5w30 extended life w Mobil one oil filter and it says I can go one year without changing. Is Mobil one lying to me?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
you cant compare conventional oil to synthetic oil. I have been to the esso plant when i was in trades school and they will change all you on the fence guys minds about 0w20 oil in 5 minutes of the tour. lots of miss info in this thread. listen to toyota....

·
Chief of Grammar Police
2,496 Posts
you cant compare conventional oil to synthetic oil. I have been to the esso plant when i was in trades school and they will change all you on the fence guys minds about 0w20 oil in 5 minutes of the tour. lots of miss info in this thread. listen to toyota....
So what was it that knocked you off the fence? Enlighten us?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
So what was it that knocked you off the fence? Enlighten us?
I could type for days all the useless lubrication knowledge they pushed on us,but most convincing tests was living where it gets below -30 degrees c flow test. it takes 10w30 over a minute to get to the top of the valves on start up (test engine k car v6) 10w30 syn 30 sec and 5 w30 syn 10 sec, 0w20 is almost instant. running an engine without oil even for a short period is no good. dino oil viscosity changes over a given temp range way more then sythetic oil does. meaning synthetic oil viscosity is more consistant through out the temp range (viscosity index). My instructors and many others have been using 0w20 since it was available over 15 years ago. Iam still no lube expert but this is what is taught in mechanical trades school where i live.

·
Chief of Grammar Police
2,496 Posts
I could type for days all the useless lubrication knowledge they pushed on us,but most convincing tests was living where it gets below -30 degrees c flow test. it takes 10w30 over a minute to get to the top of the valves on start up (test engine k car v6) 10w30 syn 30 sec and 5 w30 syn 10 sec, 0w20 is almost instant. running an engine without oil even for a short period is no good. dino oil viscosity changes over a given temp range way more then sythetic oil does. meaning synthetic oil viscosity is more consistant through out the temp range (viscosity index). My instructors and many others have been using 0w20 since it was available over 15 years ago. Iam still no lube expert but this is what is taught in mechanical trades school where i live.
What @TacoBlack said sounds reasonable.

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
Winner winner chicken dinner.

I switched to 0-20 as soon as I started changing it myself.

about a 1mpg increase. Not much, but over 10000 miles, it added up.

If I lived in a hot climate year round, I might stick to 5-30. But people using 10-30 or thicker cold weights I just don't get.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Then my question would be: Why should I spend $10 a quart vs $2.00 a quart if no difference from the synthetic vs reg oil ? So what you are saying is there is NO benefit using synthetic oil ???????
You can get 0w-20 synthetic, Toyota branded oil, for just over $5/quart. If you catch Mobil 1 0w-20 synthetic on sale at Costco, it comes out to about $4.50/quart or just under $6/quart at regular price. At least in DFW, Texas.

I run synthetic 0w-20. It's what Toyota spec's are (as well as my wife's MDX) and there is compelling evidence showing that it protects better at engine start and over the life of the oil. I figure that people that are smarter than me figured that out and, if they're wrong, the most I lose is a few dollars. If they are correct, my $40k+ trucks engine should last longer.

--Matt

21 - 34 of 34 Posts