Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you guys drive in S Mode vs. Drive. I find myself preferring to drive In S myself. It just gives my 14 that extra bit of power to me anyway. Not that Drive mode isn't enough on the Tundra. I was curious if others did this as well and what was your reasoning behind it.

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
I can't remember the last time I drove my 2010 in 'D':dunno: So much more 'in-tune' with what's happening with my truck, when 'I' decide what gear to be in, for how long and at what speed, for the given conditions and load.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
I will use S mode when I am on steep continuous grades where I want more engine braking than the tranny will give me in D so I don't have to ride my brakes.

Other than that I leave it in D. I don't think S mode is a true manual mode like in other vehicles. When you select a given gear in that mode it just tells you that is now the highest gear the transmission will be allowed to shift into. It will still run through the gears below it.

Our 2012 Camry and our new Acura TLX offer much more genuine control with the paddle shifters. Trying to mess with S mode in the Tundra is such a disappointment in comparison that I don't bother.

Reactions: MT Madman

·
Registered
471 Posts
I love the way the truck drives when you turn off all of the nannies and drop it into S6. Love it!

But most times I just get in the truck and put 'er in drive and go.
S6 and turning off all the nannies is literally the same as D and turning off all the nannies...

Reactions: MT Madman

·
Registered
132 Posts
I will use S mode when I am on steep continuous grades where I want more engine braking than the tranny will give me in D so I don't have to ride my brakes.

Other than that I leave it in D. I don't think S mode is a true manual mode like in other vehicles. When you select a given gear in that mode it just tells you that is now the highest gear the transmission will be allowed to shift into. It will still run through the gears below it.

Our 2012 Camry and our new Acura TLX offer much more genuine control with the paddle shifters. Trying to mess with S mode in the Tundra is such a disappointment in comparison that I don't bother.
You're exactly right. "S" mode doesn't do shit, it just limits the highest gear the truck will shift into.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm with CMB, I drive in S all the time. I feel more in tune with my 14. I know when I want it to shift up or down.

From time to time I will turn off nannies as well......yeah it's fun, till the po po stops you.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I use the shifter to add some engine braking in heavy traffic, it's nice not to have to jump back on the brakes every time you slow down. Pisses me off to no end that you can't lock out downshifts with the "manual" mode on this truck, but most trucks are like that, I guess it's a tranny saving feature for heavy pulling. Tow/haul mode seems to help with holding a taller gear without a downshift but the throttle response is artificially touchy so I don't use it.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I drive my 2007 5.7L in S, and I have been driving it this way for about 4 years.

I always start off in S-4, and only shift into S-5 when I will be moving faster than 50 mph for any length of time... I almost never shift into S-6. Driving this way makes the experience better for me, power comes on quick and the transmission is never hunting for a gear.

·
Registered
21 Posts
How many of you guys drive in S Mode vs. Drive. I find myself preferring to drive In S myself. It just gives my 14 that extra bit of power to me anyway. Not that Drive mode isn't enough on the Tundra. I was curious if others did this as well and what was your reasoning behind it.
Showbox jiofi.local.html tplinklogin
I decide what gear to be in, for how long and at what speed, for the given conditions and load.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts