Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mind you it’s a 2012 with 100k miles (SR5 Double Cab 5.7). Literally an hour into the drive after picking it up from the dealer, it begins to sputter hard and then dies. No flashing engine light. Pulled over to the side of the highway on an overpass and tried to crank it but it wouldn’t start. A few minutes later a tow truck pulled up and was able to tow me the rest of the journey home. As soon as we arrived, I tried starting it again....and still no go. Then tow truck driver suggested giving the fuel tank a light knock while cranking and voila, the truck started. It stalled shortly after but knocking the tank seemed to help to get it started. It didn’t always work though. I let the car cool for an hour and now it turns on without issue. It’s been idling for 15 minutes and it hasn’t turned off. I’m stumped, could this be an intermittent fuel pump failure or is it just more likely to fail under load. I’ve been doing some research and it seems as though the Fuel Pump ECU module can be faulty sometimes? I’ve noticed that when I turn the ignition on, I can’t seem to hear the pump prime which I thought was odd - but that seems to be the case whether the truck starts or not. Planning to take it to the dealer tomorrow but curious if anyone has experienced something similar.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Theres a fuel pump recall out. Not sure what all years it covers. Our 19 is on it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
287 Posts
In Texas we have a 3 day lemon law. You should check your state law.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Your fuel pump needs replaced. Letting it cool off and tapping it are the two sure signs of a bad pump.

The one thing that a driver can do to cause a fuel pump failure is running it out of gas. Don't ever do that. The fuel lubricates the pump, and without fuel, it runs dry and that kills them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts