Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been dealing with a driveline noise for some time in my '08 Tundra. It sounds to me like it's the rear axle area. I replaced my rear axle bearings with the updated Toyota parts, so I know they are good. I checked all my u-joints and they all seem tight, no obvious play.

I have had the truck up on axle stands and listened to the differential with a mechanics stethoscope. I hear no noise at the front of the diff near the pinion bearings. At the rear of the diff it's pretty silent too. I do hear some rotational noise where the oil baffles are in the axle tubes. There is no noise at the axle tubes by the wheel bearings. I did pull one of my axles not too long go to replace a blown seal, and it's possible I bumped the axle baffle.

Part of the issue is that the noise has happened at different speeds. It used to be at lower speed, like around 40 mph, but now seems to be louder at high speeds like 70 mph. It has been an issue for some time and but doesn't seem to be getting much worse with time.

I am thinking at this point that it might be the axle oil baffles? But it seems from my searches on here, no one has actually had this work done and have it solve anything. Is there anything else I should check or that I am missing? I'd like to try an diagnose and repair this myself.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Took the rear axle apart today. That rear carrier is pretty heavy, definitely worthwhile to have a second set of hands. The rear diff looked fine, cross shaft was fine and all looked normal. There were some signs of the axles rubbing on the baffles, but nothing major. We pulled them out and straightened them and reinstalled. The axle bearings were replaced a couple years ago with Toyota's update part. They seemed okay, but didn't feel as smooth as new anymore. No play in the axle bearings.

The noise is still there, so I am not sure where it's coming from.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.