Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't seem to find a definitive answer for how many zerk fittingS there are on a 2014 4x4. I only found 4 so far. I'm just beginning to learn basic vehicle maintence so I don't know proper names for parts. I found 3 obvious ones at the main spider joints and one that was a bitch to get to closer to the transfer case.

I tried to Google search images bit could not find any diagrams that show the exact locations.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Sub. I'd like to know as well and at what interval should they be regreased.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Everything I found days to grease every 5k. I just can't seem to confirm how many there are. I heard everything from 4-8 zerks

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
There are FIVE on crew cabs. 2 on the front drive shaft and 3 on the back.

The 2 on the front are on the inside center of the U joint.
The 3 on the back are on the outside edge of each U joint. The "one" at the back of the tranny will also lube the spine.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Is there a spec of grease that should be used?

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
The three obvious zerks
The very front of the main drive shaft:

About the middle of the drive shaft:

Right in front of the rear differential.

To "retorque propeller shaft" (per manual)
Manual states torque is 59 for front shaft and 52 for rear shaft.

The two less obvious zerks
Here are photos of the two zerks for the front shaft...both are in the center of the spider joints. I was able to find an easy way to reach the rear zerk of the front shaft by coming in from the front passenger side.

Photo taken towards driver rear wheel from front passenger side:

Same photo, but with grease gun in place:

Photo of the front zerk of the front shaft:

Use NLGI No. 2 Lithium Grease

This is the kind of grease you need.

$3.99 at Harbor Freight

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
The three obvious zerks
The very front of the main drive shaft:
Use NLGI #2 Lithium Grease
You the man! Just curious...you know the exact grease you're using? Do you do it every 5k? I'm at 8k :eek:

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
You the man! Just curious...you know the exact grease you're using? Do you do it every 5k? I'm at 8k :eek:
I bought mine at Walmart. I can't remember the exact kind. I do mine every 15k because that's what my manual said. I'm not towing or going on dirt roads much, and it doesn't rain much in AZ, so I think 15k is appropriate.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
@Jaj23.....
Thanks for the pics.......even an old fat man like me can follow this......I'm at 28k or so and dealer never made mention so will now have to check and make sure.....have a good weekend...

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the pics Jaj23. I could not find the first zerk on the front. Ill have to get back under there again. I had a rough idea where it was.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Thanks for posting those pics.

Turns out I have been hitting them all, minus one in the middle that I dont have, but is that due to me having a shorter wheelbase Sequoia?

I have one zerk on each end of two drive shafts, 4 U-joints total. 1 zerk per U-joint.

I think that's all?

Oh, and I use Valvoline VV985 SynPower Synthetic Grease (its got moly in it...very important!) exclusively on EVERYTHING. From wheel bearings, to tractors, to U-joints. I've been using this stuff for a long, long time.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts