Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Drive Monitor Switch ("MPG Buttons") - Internal part needed

5K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  j_fuggin_t 
#1 ·
2007 DC Limited: A while ago the top ‘Info’ button in my switch cluster started sticking. At first it would just take a short while to return after a push (worse when it was cold). Later I had to manually pull it back into position if I pushed it in too far. NOT easy. By the way – if the Info button remains pushed in when the truck is turned off then back on (say, just to ACC), every pixel in the info screen will be lit = white out.

Anyway, I got around to taking out the switch cluster to try to find the issue. I figured I either needed to clean it or add more grease. The button definitely had some binding, but what I also found was the rubber return “spring” was broken. The post had torn from the rest of the pad, probably during my latest attempts to pull the button back.

The rubber pieces in back of three of the switch buttons look similar to the rubber return pads under keyboard keys. The attached pic shows the broken pad, where it goes, and how the others look in-place.

I will not pay $127 +T for a whole new switch assembly. Does anyone have any idea where I can get a hold of more of these rubber pads? What are they even technically called? Tundras seem to be scarce in local salvage yards. Either that or I can’t search worth a damn. My other idea is to see how a couple of actual keyboard key return pads might work. Or just find a way to get a real spring to work. They used an actual spring for the sonar button. It would have been nice if they could have done this for all of them. I can only imagine they used the rubber springs for that luxurious feel…

Thanks for reading.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I bought the entire switch on ebay for like $65. For $130 your getting raped.

#3 · (Edited)
Just use a keyboard one.. It just act as a bring... Or use the blank switch, Sonar, spring and swap it over to the info. There's no there unless you have sonar then it's a different story... Or use a keyboard pad an cut a piece and put it in. It's use to bring the button back up to place, nothing special... GLUE IT and no one will ever see it anyways

#5 ·
It was $89 at my dealership for that part. For as much as you stated it cost was for one with Sonar. I couldn't get the parts woman to find the part # so I just got the one that came with the truck. The only thing is to check the junkyards for a Tundra.

#7 ·
I appreciate all the ideas. Sometimes I'm up for mods or fabricating, sometimes I like to replace same for same. Thanks for bringing me around to the former - it didn't cost me a thing. I managed to find a firm piece of foam and trimmed it to fit. I moved the stock rubber piece from behind the SETUP button to the Info button :)thx: ponyuk) and put the foam in the empty space. Everything works great, even the seldom used SETUP button.

I forgot to mention the $127 price was at the dealer. And that was just what the parts guy quoted me because he couldn't (wouldn't) tell me how to get a hold of the inner parts. I hate there's not an easy or cheap way to get a hold of smaller, miscellaneous pieces, that cost mere cents, for those of us who know what they need.

Thanks again.

#8 ·
I wish I could install this easily... But I didn't want too many gadgets on the truck...

#9 ·
What I did was took the rubber bumper spring from the "us/m" button since I will never change if I remember right I put a folded piece of tape between the button and rubber piece so it would maintain height of the other switches.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.