Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time changing the oil and pulled the first plug I ran into. Only 1.5 2 qts of liquid came out. Im certain that I have pulled the wrong plug. After looking in the manual the only thing I can come up with is that I pulled the plug on the ATF overflow. The pan where this plug was located has one hex bolt and one bolt requiring an allen wrench. I pulled the hex bolt. The manual says it takes 11-12 qts. I have a mechanic friend that can look at this for free but my question is can I drive in 25 miles home or is this a much bigger issue?

·
Banned
5,396 Posts
I did the same when I changed my fluid, so in the morn I drove to the dealer about 4-5 miles away but I would not recommend 25 miles. Get a tow truck for $60-100 to save a lot of potential costly repairs!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
IF you can measure the fluid that came out, just go to the dealer (with a different vehicle) and get fluid and add that amount back in. I wouldn't drive it that far.

Refill info is on page 7 of the attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
830 Posts
If oil came out of the overflow hole then I'd not worry. Means it was too high!

That said, how do you confuse ATF with engine oil? One is red (or brownish red, depending upon age) while engine oil is light brown, dark brown or black if it's an old motor. [I guess ATF can be dark brown or black, but at that point you could refill the transmission with anything--it's shot.] Engine oil will usually smell a bit of gasoline too, while ATF lacks that smell.

If you can't tell, blot some on a white paper towel. ATF should show some red around the edges.

IIRC, you can't get to the engine sump w/o pulling the skidplate, while the transmission bolts are all accessible with the skidplate in place.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts