Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
I've got a 2002 Tundra 4.8L SR5 and I'm having a lurching/jolting when I am coming to a stop (for example crawling up to a stop sign). It also feels like I'm towing a small trailer behind me while driving as the added resistance I feel the truck having to fight through to move is very noticeable. This resistance is so strong that I'm able to sit at stop lights and totally take my foot off the brake and the truck will still not move forward unless I'm up around 3000 RPM.

The couple of mechanics (Toyota + independents) I've asked to check into the problem have no clue what's going on, even though the results are reproducible 98% of the time.

Any of you Tundra whisperers know what's going on?

Thanks!

-Ryan

·
Registered
964 Posts
I'll put 10 bucks on a parking brake or other brake dragging.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll put 10 bucks on a parking brake or other brake dragging.
I thought it was the brakes initially as well. However, I see no unusual wear on the fronts disks and the mechanics say my backs drums are just fine. I also thought there may be ice in the parking brake line and nothing changed after I cleared any blockage that could have been in there.

·
Registered
964 Posts
What if you put the transfercase/transmission in neutral and let it roll downhill?
If that works then the problem is in the driveline. If not then I'd doublecheck all of the pads and discs/shoes yourself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This morning I threw the truck into neutral and let it coast a bit on a side street, I still had the problem. It was about 2-3 degrees this morning when I tested this and I had not used my brakes at all yet, when I tried to push down on them I got almost no movement out of the pedal and the brakes would not engage. After stomping on the pedal a few times it finally loosened up and I was able to stop. The problem is exponentially worse the colder it gets. Could there be ice in the brake line?

·
Registered
964 Posts
Definitely sounds like it. Pop your hood and check your brake fluid reservoir. It should be clear with a light yellow tint to it. If it's brown you need to get that replaced ASAP as it means water has invaded your lines. (It's normal, brake fluid attracts water.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts