Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
HEY FELLOW RACE HEAD BROTHERS..
If you like racing your BEAST and are a new or current "Drag Racer at the Tracks type Dude", then this Mod is dedicated to YOU... I got bit by the Race Bug 3 years ago. I've tried various performance mods, some worked, lots didn't!:eek:-LOL I've research about what options are out there for Drag Radials VS Drag Slicks! I now have had both and I'm going to share them here..

Drag Radials
PROS:
DOT approve, You can drive them on the streets and on the tracks.
Can mount on stock steelies 18"x8"
Work way better than stock tires
Looks BadAss

CONS:
Expensive
Heavy (Steelie and DR = 80lbs)
Treadwear is rated at 000.
Wore them down to the fiber threads

DRAG SLICKS
MH Cheater Slicks 30"

on 16"x10" ProComp wheels
5x150 16x10 Polished Pro Comp Alloy
PROS:
Everything!
BadAss
Grip like Velcro
Light, total weight with Drag Slick was 47 lbs

CONS:
Not DOT approved for streets, track use only

16"x10" ProComp Wheel!

Before- Rear Caliper Stock!

AFTER -Super Aggressive Grinding needed to clear the 16" wheels from rubbing

Tundra GEN2 Rear Caliper Grinding for 16" Wheels - YouTube

Tundra GEN2 ProComp 16"x10" Wheel -Fit - YouTube

Wheel size comparison

MH CHEATER SLICKS! Came the next day!

Went to get the Slicks mounted and balanced

BAM!!!

BADASS!..and too much Bling!:eek:

Side to Side is 14", foot print is 12"

PLASTIC DIP!! No more Bling!

STEAM ROLLERS!! They stick out 6", but they WORK!!

BADASS! and Race Ready at the Vegas Speedway!!

Updated Photo December 2013, Lowered, Sports Bumper, Another BAm Exhaust Change:eek:, Sport Mirrors

So How did my low 3.5 psi Boost Turbo Tundra CM do Versus a S/C CM at the Las Vegas Speedway on 4/19/13? I HUNG IN THERE!!! Now to max out the Boost for round two!!

Special Thanks goes to Eddy (SUPERCHARGED):D:D for his direction on what wheels and tires to get and to Keith (DirtyDeeds / BAmufflers) for his use of his grinder and home to modify the rear calipers.!:D:D
I hope you enjoyed this thread, it took 3 years to make and a lot of $$!:cool:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
:drool:

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Nice Jim - Had a good time watching you guys race. I would only race you in the desert. LOL

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice

Seems like the S/C tundra would have been right there with you had he had any traction ?
Thanks..
Yeah I didnt know what to expect from racing a S/C CM (Andy), I was ready for defeat though, so when that didnt happen.. it was a good feeling to say the least. Andy is a cool dude, he hadnt raced in 10 years and came in "as is" while I came in with everything I had. He now wants to get Slicks and traction bars and maybe an ASP pulley. He'll be "ready" for round two. We all had our "base runs" and raising the bar each time is what it's all about..:D

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice Jim - Had a good time watching you guys race. I would only race you in the desert. LOL
Hey Craig, it was cool to meet you and thanks for capturing the race and posting it!. My Beast is only a 2WD Street/Family Wagon. I would only get stuck in the desert and the remote mounted Turbo would be submerged in a one foot sand dune..-LoL

·
Registered
943 Posts
Gotta love those M&H Cheater Slicks. You did a great job on everything congrats. Would be cool if procomp made those wheels with a +50mm offset!!!! Only other option I found for wheels cost abot $500 per wheel.

·
Premium Member
4,295 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
very nice but keep an eye on those rear calipers.
Thanks, but keep an eye and look for what exactly? Those calipers are cast iron and was as hard as Diamonds to grind down!-LoL

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Cereal Killer
20,307 Posts
Brother, he probably means keep an eye on them because you have thinned the material in places such that the structural integrity may have been compromised. Not saying it is....just keep an eye and be safe. :)

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Brother, he probably means keep an eye on them because you have thinned the material in places such that the structural integrity may have been compromised. Not saying it is....just keep an eye and be safe. :)
Yes, I am aware that the structural integrity of the caliper would be compromised, but after talking to Eddy (Supercharged) and Chris (Spoolin..) who both have grindered theirs down and after I actually did it, these calipers are so overly big and the cast iron is incredible strong, that I'm extremely confident that my grinding down mod had no effect on it. But you're right, I have been keeping an eye on them. I was about to buy seperate calipers, but it would have been a PITA to swap them out just for the tracks and the cost was significant to just keep it simple.:)

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
What times are u running not with the big mods..??

Hey what times do you think my truck would do if it had the TRD SC...??

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
When's the next race legal meet??? Lol...

·
Registered
724 Posts
I really need to pick up a set of wheels for my slicks, but I don't want to grind my calipers. For those that remove the rear calipers at the track, how bad is the stopping capabilty at 100+mph with just the fronts? Also do you block the lines going to the rear somehow?

These are the only options I have found besides the ones in this thread.

16X10 POLISHED TYPE 058 - EAGLE ALLOY
Pretty much look and have the same specs as the pro-comps.

Pro Comp Xtreme Alloys Series 1069 Polished Wheel 16"x8" 5x150mm | eBay
These are a 16x8 pro comp with a little less offset, -12. I wonder if they would help with the caliper clearance? I would prefer a 10'' wheel for these wide ass tires though.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts