Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's about time I started a build log for my new 2015 Tundra CrewMax TRD. I took delivery of the truck June 26th, 2015 in Bozeman, MT. I came form a 3/4 ton Dodge and could not be happier!

This build log will be pretty slow, but should have some good mods as we go along. I have a lot of plans for the truck, some may be soon, some a year down the road. I will continually update this and try to provide feedback/reviews/details about mods and parts to help others with questions, decisions, or just some nice photos!

This truck will be my daily driver, family vehicle, weekend project hauler, camping rig, off road beast, hunting camp, and anything else I throw at it. The goal is to have a fun, reliable all-around truck that is made for Montana!

*A side note on the photos: I am a bit of a photography hobbyist, so expect a ton of pictures. I may not do any mods, but just go out and detail the truck one day and take 20 pictures. I am also VERY busy between work and family, so I may post a mod and pictures a few days or weeks after I did it, yet talk about it like it was today (if you're peeking at the exif data). You have been warned!

The stock truck:

Factory Accessories/Add-Ons:
-TRD package
-TRD rear sway bar
-TRD air filter
-Blind spot monitoring
-Entune Premium JBL audio with nav
-Moonroof
-Glass break sensor
-Spray-in bed liner

Short Term(ish) Mods:
-Husky Floor Mats - COMPLETE
-ESP Truck Accessories rear storage - COMPLETE
-Lock'er Down Console Safe - COMPLETE
-De-chrome (plasti-dip/new parts) - PARTIAL
-Bed cover (Truck Covers USA rolling cover or Diamondback HD - undecided)
-Window tinting - COMPLETE
-TRD Pro front grill
-TRD Pro skid plate
-Steps/nerf bars/sliders - undecided
-USB center console relocation
-LED light bar
-Anytime fog light mod

Long Term(ish) Mods:
-Mid-travel suspension upgrade with larger tires (most likely on down the road when the stock tires are getting warn). Will use stock 18" TRD rims
-Larger fuel tank - either the 46 gal transfer flow or 2016 OEM tank
-Headlight retro-fit
-Stereo upgrade
-Integrated CB/Ham radio
-More?

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Update

Tonight's mod: new startup and screen off images.

The mostly white image was very bright in my truck in the dark garage.

I may invert the colors to lighten up the image, plus it may blend in better with the background being black.

Here is the JPEG out of Photoshop, I'll most likely upload it to the truck tomorrow.

·
Registered
186 Posts
That's a good looking truck dude. Enjoy...

Reactions: dpeach

·
Registered
318 Posts
Nice rig.
I can't understand why Toyota does sport colormatched rear bumper and leaves all that chrome up front for you to now have to swap out...seems odd. We all have to spend so much time de-chroming around here! :)
that's a nice feature on the newer head units... one of the fun little things I will enjoy when I aftermarket swap my 08 to something better.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice rig.
I can't understand why Toyota does sport colormatched rear bumper and leaves all that chrome up front for you to now have to swap out...seems odd. We all have to spend so much time de-chroming around here! :)
that's a nice feature on the newer head units... one of the fun little things I will enjoy when I aftermarket swap my 08 to something better.

Yeah mine is a weird situation. It's a Limited with Blind Spot Monitoring. The BSM has the rear bumpers color matched, but the front is chrome. Should have went up to the Platinum for less de-chroming.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Plasti Dip

Worked on de-chroming the truck. Tried some black Plasti-Dip for the 5.7 and Tundra badge, and attempted white for the Limited badge.

The black looks great, went on easy, and looks painted. The white I'm not a huge fan of. The consistency was very different than the black, and it kept running and bubbling. Maybe I got a bad can? Might try it one more time then give up and go back to black.

My rear bumper caps are already white, so that's good to go. I thought about dipping the front bumper caps, mirrors, and door handles. The bumpers and mirrors will get a lot of abuse form the bugs, and the door handles from opening. I'm just going to order color-match pieces instead.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've been out for work and some long family trips the last couple of weeks.

I have some fun stuff to share with you all, I will be sure and post pictures this weekend!

:nopics:

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey guys, sorry for the long delay. Between work and family travels on the weekends I haven't had time for much. I've done my typical lurking on the forums posting in a few random topics here and there. I've got some great pics to upload this week... stay tuned.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update!

Alright, finally got around to the update. Finally got some time to take some pictures, edit, and upload them.

In the last month or so, here is what I've been up to:

Badlands NP

Mount Rushmore

Hellroaring Plateau Road - Beartooth Mountains Montana

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Now onto the build!

Lock'er Down Safe - super easy install, very secure, and looks great!

Before Lock'er Down

During install - I used an extended socket and 1/2" ratched to easily remove the existing bolts. Only the two down in the "wells" are required.

I used washers (not supplied) for a little extra strength. Not needed, but I like the way it turned out.

Installed

I bought some plastic encased gun magnets on Amazon, and I still need to install them. I carry my gun quite a bit and it hasn't been an issue rattling around yet, but it will be nice to get it mounted. Also looking into some mountable, 12V rechargeable lights. Always a work in progress!

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Husky Floor Mats and ESP Truck Accessories Rear Storage

@ESP Truck Accessories - Rear storage system

This system is a MUST for CrewMax owners. Everyone knows how terrible the storage is.

UPS damaged the first shipment, to the point where the box did not fit correctly. Earl was awesome and sent another right away at his cost.

I sent him pictures of the damage and mis-fitment at 9:30pm the day I received it, and Earl called back 5 minutes later to discuss and make it right. We are actually STILL waiting to hear from UPS after over a month of the claim being filed. Great company, great product.

During install

That's all I have of the install. It was late at night, and by the time I figured out the metal was damaged I was freaking out a bi thinking it was my fault. So no more pictures that night.

Finished product:

Husky X-act Contour Floor Mats:
The X-acts are awesome! I have had three different sets of the Weathertech mats in different vehicles and like them quite a bit. I can confirm that the X-act Contours are everything people say they are - a better fit, more pliable (flexible) and more sticky both to the interior and your feet. The full-sized rear mat works great with the ESP system, as I believe the Weathertech would overlap too much and I would have had to cut it. Hope the pictures are useful, and shout if you have any questions!

That's it for now, more to come!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts