Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you guys double tow? My camper trailer weighs about 7600 pounds and the golf cart and trailer weighs about 1700 pounds. I get about 7 mpg when towing, and my Tundra tows is like a champ. The tongue weight on the back trailer is about 200 pounds. Any comments or suggestions? I now have a new 2017 1947 edition that I'm trying to get over a 1000 miles before I tow.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
Others will chime in and tell you that this is a great idea but IMO this is not the best idea. First off, I didn't look up KY laws but many states require the first vehicle being towed to be a 5th wheel so make sure you check that. Additionally, if you plan to leave KY on any trips, you need to know the laws in those states, some states don't allow triple towing at all. Aside from the fact you want to do this with a 1/2 ton truck, I'd be worried about two things. 1.) RV bumpers are generally more decorative than structurally sound (think bike racks, not towing receivers)so I'd be weary of the strength of the receiver on the camper. 2.) It does not look like you would have trailer brakes on the rear trailer, that could get ugly really fast in a panic break situation, especially on a curve.

Aside from that, have you thought about how you would backup if you found yourself in that situation? Have you considered just how much sway you could get from the rear trailer? Have you pulled that setup through a city yet, you better be incredibly careful when turning. Anyway, I wouldn't do it personally.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate your reply but it's legal in Kentucky and Tennessee to tow two trailers under 65' of total length. I had my trailers bumper reinforced to handle the additional weight so that's not an issue. As far as backing this thing up, you are totally right. This caravan only goes one way and that is forward. The trailer is light enough without the golf cart to move by hand. I handily agree this isn't a normal trailer pull and I go at a slower speed when it's being towed. I get more than the fair share of looks when I'm going down the road. Just wanted to share the capabilities of the Tundra. If it can pull the space shuttle it can pull my camper and golf cart. :laugh::)

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have never double towed but these trucks are amazing at hauling heavy weight. I picked up a tractor for my farm recently and when I rented the trailer the guy said there is no way my truck would tow it. I was only a couple hundred pounds away from the trucks max rating but it hauled it no problem. As long as you have trailer brake controller and don't have a lead foot your truck should haul that load no problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
500 Posts
What? Like this?

Sure, easy peasy. NOT.

This IS a situation where laws a very clear about being within manufactures weight specs and each State sets their own max length. Not all match. Laws very. Some restrict.

Add to that, most TT's are not able to hold more than 150lbs on their bumper and are definitely not ready for towing a trailer. You really need to add a universal bolt on receiver hitch direct to the trailer frame.

Dont forget you have to run separate trailer wires.

Thus, double towing with any large TT and anything significant behind the TT, you're more than likely overweight somewhere along the line. So generally, this is not a good idea for the Tundra.

·
Registered
20 Posts
In Alabama it has to be a 5th wheel with a total length(truck,5th wheel and rear unit) less than 65'. The rear unit also cannot impose weight upon the rear of the 5th wheel unit. With all that being said, I pulled a 16' bass boat behind a 30' 5th wheel for years. It's total length was 74'. I never had an issue with the law, camper or boat. I see people double towing all the time, apparently its not enforced much in the south. I did however find myself buying boat trailer tires more frequently!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Just when I was beginning to think I had seen everything, something new comes along.

What I did see for the first time this spring/summer is travel trailers on the shoulder and in the ditch, with and without their tow vehicles, on their sides, literally destroyed, looking like a tornado had just turned them inside out. As I recall, the one with the most damage was still hitched, or attached, to a pickup truck still on its wheels. Apparently no one was hurt, but it must have an eternity of sheer terror in the tow vehicle until everything finally stopped moving. And, I'm sure that in both these cases, the owners had begun their vacation confident in their knowledge and abilities.

There is no way this should be legal...too many axles, too many tires, too much moving weight, too many opportunities for unexpected forces to result in dynamic instability, too many things that can go wrong. I would have a couple of bicycles, a moped, or unhitch the truck for errands.

I had the perfect South Park video clip for this post, but this subject is too serious for it. :|

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.