Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after spending the weekend doing research, I finally decided to order everything to upgrade the sound system in my 2012 double cab. Here's what I decided to go with:

Head unit: JVC KW-R900BT (double din, no DVD or anything)
Front speakers: JBL P660C 6 1/2" 2-way component set
Amp for front: Rockford Fosgate Prime R150X2 (75W RMS per channel)
Rear speakers: stock for now, might add some 6 1/2" coaxials later
Sub: Pioneer TS-SWX251 10" Flat Subwoofer
Amp for sub: Boss Audio R1100M mono amp

Originally I wasn't planning on doing components up front, and I had already ordered the sub and mono amp earlier this week. If I was planning it over, I would most likely just gotten like a 4 channel amp to run everything off of. My goal was to get a decent sounding system, without spending a whole lot of money. All together, including a dash install kit and a couple of amplifier wiring kits, I've got a little over $600 in the whole system.

Now, I'm still not quite sure where I want to mount the tweeters from the front component set. My truck is a non-JBL model, so I don't have any factory tweeters. The easiest place would seem to be mounting them in the dash, replacing the current dash speakers. Some people don't seem to like the tweeters mounted in the dash though, so I'm leaning toward mounting them in the sail panels. If I go this route, I'm strongly considering getting a pair of the Dayton RS75 3" midrange drivers and mounting them in the dash. I've seen a few people on here that have put similar speakers up there, and they all seem really happy with them. Are there any obvious reasons why I shouldn't do this? I would be driving these off head unit power.

If all the parts arrive this week, I'm planning on trying to install everything next weekend. I'll try to take some pics along the way.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Definitely take pics during the install and once it's finished. I'd love to see the install. I plan on doing this next year.

Good luck with the install. I hope it sounds great.

·
Registered
383 Posts
We're going to have a DIY posted on how we put Kicker 6x9's in my front doors last night. It's so easy a caveman can do it. Sounds like you have a nice setup planned.

Reactions: Surfer J

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll be sure to take lots of pictures. I'm still not sure where to mount the amps and crossovers at. The subwoofer is going to go under the rear seat, on the drivers side, and I should be able to mount the amp for it right beside of it, still under the seat. I guess I'll mount the crossovers behind the door panels. I'm not quite sure what to do with the amp for the front speakers though. Somewhere up under the dash seems like it would work good, but I'm not quite sure exactly where. The Rockford R150X2 is pretty small, so it shouldn't be too hard to find somewhere to put it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have my tweeters in the dash and I think it sounds awesome. The sound bounces off the windshield and hits you right in the face.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Yeah, a lot of people seem to really like them in the dash. The main complaints I've seen is that they sound too bright or harsh, but my crossovers have a -6db setting, so I'm thinking that might take care of it.

I know I should just install them in the dash first, then try to make adjustments if I don't like the sound, but for some reason I'm really tempted to put some midrange drivers in the dash.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
After doing some more research today. I ran across the fold down rear seat mod for the double cabs. As the name suggests, it allows you to fold down the rear seats, giving you some more storage space. It also gives nice access to the back wall of the cab, which seems like a great place to mount amplifiers and possibly the crossovers.

All in all, the mod took maybe 30 minutes tops, and that was with me really not knowing what I was doing to start with. If I were to do it again, I could probably have it done in 10 to 15 minutes. I decided to go with the method of bending the hoops on the truck itself down, rather than cutting part of the hook on the seat. The biggest challenge was getting the rear seat unbolted and up out of position. Unbolting it wasn't hard, but getting the center part of the seat lifted up over the support loops was a little challenging. . Once I got the seat backs off of the hoops, I folded them forward, then bolted the seats back into position. Then, I took a rubber mallet and started tapping on the hoops. I wasn't exactly sure how far to bend them downard, so I would tap a little bit, then see If I could get the seat to latch back in. Once the seat latches back in position, you've bent the hoops enough. Here's some pics showing how far I had to bend them. First pic shows the left two hooks bent into position

This pic shows a bent hook next to an non-bent one

I can provide some better instructions if anyone needs them, but there are other threads on here that already do that pretty well. The basic idea is that as you tilt the bottom of the seats up, the rear portion raises up as well. Normally the rear portion doesn't raise up enough for the hook in the seat to come apart from the hoop in the cab. By bending the hoop down, the hook is able to get free, allowing you to fold the rear seat down. The best part is that the seat still locks in during both the fully down position as well as the fully up position.

·
Registered
617 Posts
That's an interesting way to do the back seat mod. I cut the hooks that are attached to the seats. Your method looks like it could be reversible. Anyway, you will love those P660's. The crossover is huge though. I ended up mounting mine in the front of the door pocket since I couldn't find room behind the door panels.

·
Registered
156 Posts
my shop ended up placing my sub amp underneath the driver seat. luckily the seat raises so I can get underneath it and adjust accordingly, but the new JBL GTO EZ series amp is so small it fits perfectly under the seat without anything hitting it.

I will add, interesting idea for the rear seat mod, I might have to go that route if it works out for you instead of cutting the hooks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The seat mod worked awesome for me. I had seen other people talk about doing it this way, but I found very few actual pictures (probably because it is so simple). The only downside I could think of is that the hoop could possibly break while bending it, but I didn't see any signs of that at all. If it did break, you could still make up a new hoop of some sort and attach it to the cab.

That's an interesting way to do the back seat mod. I cut the hooks that are attached to the seats. Your method looks like it could be reversible. Anyway, you will love those P660's. The crossover is huge though. I ended up mounting mine in the front of the door pocket since I couldn't find room behind the door panels.
All the reviews I've read for the P660's were awesome, minus the large crossovers. So you mounted yours in the actual storage area at the bottom of the door? This is something I hadn't thought of. Did you just drill a hole through the door panel to run the wires?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That actually looks like it would work really well. I like the idea of being able to get to the crossovers easily in case I have a problem or need to make an adjustment. I noticed your tweeters are in the sail panels, do you run them at the -6db setting? Also, have you tried them out in the dash location? I'm guessing you just unhooked the stock dash speakers, correct?

·
Registered
617 Posts
That actually looks like it would work really well. I like the idea of being able to get to the crossovers easily in case I have a problem or need to make an adjustment. I noticed your tweeters are in the sail panels, do you run them at the -6db setting? Also, have you tried them out in the dash location? I'm guessing you just unhooked the stock dash speakers, correct?
I am actually running a set in the dash too off the HU. I have them EQ'ed down. I like the crispness of titanium tweeters and they blend well with the soft domes and being in close proximity to the sail panels. I've tried it both ways and the dash mount seems to push the sound stage further away. I am running the JBL's at 0db right now. The highs on the EQ are basically set to 0.

·
Registered
333 Posts
After doing some more research today. I ran across the fold down rear seat mod for the double cabs. As the name suggests, it allows you to fold down the rear seats, giving you some more storage space. It also gives nice access to the back wall of the cab, which seems like a great place to mount amplifiers and possibly the crossovers.
The fold down rear seat mod gives a great space to build an amp rack. They're out of sight and out of mind. Here's mine.
Transport Vehicle Car Metal Vehicle Car Compact car Van Vehicle

·
Registered
232 Posts
do they not rattle really badly in that location?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My JBL component set arrived today, so I went ahead and did a little work getting them ready to install. I decided to put the tweeters in the sail panels. I did like a lot of others on here and just took a 2" hole saw and cut out a round hole in each panel. The tweeters mounts can swivel, so between that and rotating the whole mount, I should be able to get them dialed in to where they sound the best.

·
Registered
617 Posts
do they not rattle really badly in that location?
No, I have two pairs of black leather gloves folded beside them wedging them in the pocket. I planned on a more permanent fix like putting foam weather stripping on the back but haven't got around to it.
You will really like those speakers. I know some people don't believe in speaker break in but after 50 to 60 hours of playing time, the midbass output increases and the tweeters seem to mellow.The swivel feature on the tweeter is also great for fine tuning.

·
Registered
232 Posts
My hertz components shipped today. Still haven't decided where I will put my amp and crossovers (not sure if I want to get into the back seat mod and def need to keep my driver side under rear seat space). Will upload some pics. Probably be next weekend

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 37 Posts