Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 2006 Tundra Double Cab. When I lock the doors, the power door locks unlock themselves about a second later. This happens both when using the alarm fob or the switch on the door. It occurs sporadically but more often than not. What shall I look at to figure this out?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the ignition thinks the key is still in the truck will prevent you from locking the keys in.
^ I concur.
Sounds like the truck thinks the key is still in the ignition for some reason..
So if I'm next to the truck with the key it may think that I'm still in the cab? Or literally in the ignition? If this is the case, what do I check to resolve the problem?

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Is it an aftermarket alarm?

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
Probably an alarm issue.
I think these guys may have something.

So if I'm next to the truck with the key it may think that I'm still in the cab? Or literally in the ignition? If this is the case, what do I check to resolve the problem?
The key isn't like the push button start vehicles, so no, if you're next to the truck (or even in it with the doors closed and key out of ign) it should lock.
I know in my 2005 if I tried to lock the doors with the key in the ignition, it would do exactly what is happening to you.
Kinda odd that it is sporadic...

I think, the truck thinks the key is literally key in the ignition, even if it isn't.
Or maybe the truck thinks one of your doors aren't fully closed and it won't lock.

If you're not sure if you have an OEM or aftermarket alarm, take a pic of the key fob remote and post it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I don't know if this is true on all years and models, but if you have an alarm bell that rings when you forget the key in the ignition and open the door to get out then I would expect that alarm to ring if the truck mistakenly detects the key in the ignition.

Another thought, is it possible that the remote button is the problem? Maybe try to leave the remote you are using in the house far from the truck and use another remote.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think these guys may have something.

I think, the truck thinks the key is literally key in the ignition, even if it isn't.
Or maybe the truck thinks one of your doors aren't fully closed and it won't lock.

If you're not sure if you have an OEM or aftermarket alarm, take a pic of the key fob remote and post it.
I don't know if this is true on all years and models, but if you have an alarm bell that rings when you forget the key in the ignition and open the door to get out then I would expect that alarm to ring if the truck mistakenly detects the key in the ignition.

Another thought, is it possible that the remote button is the problem? Maybe try to leave the remote you are using in the house far from the truck and use another remote.
I think the alarm is stock. When locking by fob, the truck does the high-pitch "beep" or "beep beep" when pushing the button once or twice respectively. When using the door switch to lock the doors the truck wont beep but will still lock then unlock.

When messing with the fob outside the truck, it did lock and unlocked back and forth a couple of time with only one press of the fob. It will do this periodically too. Upon internet research, I did see someone mention the door close sensor wasnt fully depressed. I checked the driver side sensors by pushing them in all the way with my finger with the same results. I need to check the passenger side. However I dont think it would lock and unlock multiple times if the door close sensor was the issue.

I'm at the office and will post a pic of the fob later today. I dont' know if its stock.

I heard there is a power lock relay. Should I check that? If so, where's it at?

I appreciate the tips. Keep 'em coming. I will tackle this problem eventually. Thanks guys!!!

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Being as it is used, I would look under the dash on the driver side, and see if you see anything out of the ordinary. It might have a remote start, or an aftermarket alarm. I

What you describe is almost like a bypass module for an aftermarket alarm/remote start may have failed and is making the truck think a key is in the ignition.

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
If your dome lights are going out when you close the doors, if you have them on, then it shouldn't be the door switches.
My 2014 has the interior lights switch either, off, on or door, I can't remember what my 2005 had.

The truck won't 'beep' when locking or unlocking from the door switch, only from the remote.
My 2014 has an aftermarket remote start/alarm, but I think the stock remote beeps once when locking, beeps twice when unlocking.

My aftermarket beeps once when locking, gives me a short horn honk if I lock it again.
Beeps twice on unlock no matter how many times I it it.

Try taking a pic of the remote when you have time.
Some aftermarkets can use the OEM remote, some of them can't.
If you can't get this solved, you'll need to take @Powertechn2 suggestion and look up under the dash for an aftermarket alarm.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts