Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering. It seems work trucks are white regardless of the brand of the trucks.

I googled and I got some confusing answers. Here are some of the most common answers I found.

1. White paint is cheaper. Some claim that white paint is non-metallic, hence cheaper. Others simply say white paint is cheaper, period.

2. White background is easier for logo/emblem placement.

3. White trucks are easier to take care of. White paint covers dings, scratches, dirt better than other color. (But it seems that most dirt and scratches are non-white, so they will show against white paint: this sorta seems to go against the idea in #2 above)

Does any of these make any sense? Does anyone know the real reason why work trucks are white?

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
There's a very simple answer if you consider using the liberal mindset. The majority of business owners are white and their racist subconscious draws them to the white truck. A white truck demonstrates that while the body of the truck is basically static and immobile on its own, it moves forward only by the hard work of the black tire slaves.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
What if you have a black truck with whitewalls. Does that mean that the white man is working to pay for welfare.

There's a very simple answer if you consider using the liberal mindset. The majority of business owners are white and their racist subconscious draws them to the white truck. A white truck demonstrates that while the body of the truck is basically static and immobile on its own, it moves forward only by the hard work of the black tire slaves.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How about Barcelona Red?

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
I didn't buy a truck for my business but an xB. I was looking for white because I wanted to wrap certain parts of the vehicle. Also, white does in fact hide dirt and nicks and scratches...

Just an example for what I had done and why white worked for me...

Oh and HEY! That's the broke down Dodge, still in the same spot. This picture is almost a year old.

·
Spooge Guzzler
6,318 Posts
I'm sure there are several reasons, but my guess as to the main reason is, white is a neutral, bright canvas and the best contrast for identifying markings (letters/numbers) and logos of almost any other color.

I doubt that hiding dings and scratches has much to do with it.
Not sure how much cost has to do with it either. White is still a pigment and has to be produced and added, like all other pigments. Guess it's possible that it's cheaper to make than any other color, but I can't see it being so much cheaper to make, that it's the main reason why most fleet/business vehicles are white.

Plus, what mendonsy said sounds reasonable.

·
Registered
9,298 Posts
I'm sure there are several reasons, but my guess as to the main reason is, white is a neutral, bright canvas and the best contrast for identifying markings (letters/numbers) and logos of almost any other color.
Bingo!

I doubt that hiding dings and scratches has much to do with it. Not sure how much cost has to do with it either. White is still a pigment and has to be produced and added, like all other pigments. Guess it's possible that it's cheaper to make than any other color, but I can't see it being so much cheaper to make, that it's the main reason why most fleet/business vehicles are white.
Actually white can be difficult to match just like any other color considering there are varying shades of white between manufacturers; only upside is your not dealing with metallic paint, so if you have a good match it's harder to tell.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I can say it is easier to keep "looking" clean. My nautical blue was a pain in the behind working in the quarry. My super white is much easier to keep clean. All our company trucks are white or silver... I figured out that there was a reason :)

·
Spooge Guzzler
6,318 Posts
I've always been under the impression that white hides dents better than any other color. But, dirt and scratches show up better than any other color, save maybe black.
I think the metallics typically hide the dirt the best. Silver, pewter, etc.
I've never heard anyone say that a white vehicle was easy to keep looking clean before.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I was just wondering. It seems work trucks are white regardless of the brand of the trucks.

I googled and I got some confusing answers. Here are some of the most common answers I found.

1. White paint is cheaper. Some claim that white paint is non-metallic, hence cheaper. Others simply say white paint is cheaper, period.

2. White background is easier for logo/emblem placement.

3. White trucks are easier to take care of. White paint covers dings, scratches, dirt better than other color. (But it seems that most dirt and scratches are non-white, so they will show against white paint: this sorta seems to go against the idea in #2 above)

Does any of these make any sense? Does anyone know the real reason why work trucks are white?

In many cases, because titanium dioxide is the pigment, white paint or anything with a white pigment can be more expensive to produce.

I think white vehicles are cheaper to insure, easier to see, and are involved in less accidents than other, darker colors :dunno: I'm sure there's a stat out there somewhere. They are also cheaper to buy, I think. So, purchase cost and insurance cost might be a couple good reasons..
I work for one of the major insurance companies and color has nothing to do with your rate. People think red vehicles in particular are more expensive to insure. However what really happens is that red vehicles are more likely to be pulled for speeding, hence drivers of red vehicles have more moving violations on their record, which accounts for the premium increase. In other words, red cars, in and of themselves, do not have higher rates.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Because white pickups are boring and generic. The boss man buys them to remind you of your place in a colorless soul sucking job.

I mean come on, if work trucks were something like Blue Streak Metallic, instead of getting work done, you'd spend half of your day fighting off hot chicks! :cool:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts