Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you take your rig through the drive-thru car wash? :confused:

Any problems?

I prefer to wash my cars at home in the driveway or in a wash bay.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Absolutely never. None of my vehicles ever. I do it myself or it doesn't get done.

·
"Seahawks Hater"
4,147 Posts
Are you lifted at all? There are some that can do a decent job but for the most part, if it looks small and neglected, stay away. They will never clean as thorough as a hand wash

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
Now that summer is here my truck will spend more time at Simoniz car wash simply because I cannot wash/dry it fast enough in this damn heat before it starts getting hard water marks...when it's not so bloody hot I wash it myself.

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
No, it won't fit. It's too massive. :eek:

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
I did, only once.

My truck was maybe 3-4 months old, and it was dirty so I took it to the reputable car washes here in town, and my god....the horror was unbearable....

fine scratches from head to toe on my truck....

but this taught me a very valuable lesson, never to buy a black truck again.

....and that toyota uses very cheap paint and clearcoat.

after hours of claybar'ing, buffing, and waxing....I covered up almost all of the damage done by the carwash, but it's hand washes from here on out.

Reactions: j_fuggin_t

·
Registered
415 Posts
I will take my to the power wash stalls we have around here to spray off road grime and get bugs off that way, but will NEVER take it to the sander...those things frighten me too many horror stories

·
Premium Member
3,918 Posts
I have an unlimited membership for the local touchless wash. I just don't have the time to do it by hand, and my OCD is outta control. I go through probably 4-5 times a week. Truck is white, and I polish and seal in with a DA polisher and Menzerna products,so the paint is well protected. No problems a all. I wouldn't go through a touch wash tho. I brought my Acura I used to own through one and paint got all jacked up. Turned out the metal license plate frame of the car before me got ripped off and caught in the spinning brush. They covered my repair but NEVER again.

·
Premium Member
3,918 Posts
^^^i told u the OCD is BAD!! I live a little over a mile from the wash tho...my truck is such a pavement princess hahaha

·
Registered
386 Posts
Haven't yet, but might have too since I moved into apartments.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I go as often as three times a week, but only to a touch-less. I go for only one reason, the undercarriage spray. Even in the winter, as soon as its above 32° out, I go, just to get the salt off the bottom.

Reactions: Farkleboy

·
Registered
12,775 Posts
I've taken a few vehicles through a car wash but nothing that I was proud of! The Tundra and our aging Lexus all get done the old fashioned way ~ on the slab outside the garage on Saturday morning.
I drove an old Ford F100 that I took down a muddy road ~ the whole thing was a mud ball top to bottom. That time it went to the car wash because they had sprayers that washed the undercarriage as well as the rest of the truck. Of course, that old Ford had seen better days and it would have been difficult to mess it up much more than it already was.
The Tundra is still a cream puff so I prefer to do the washing and waxing myself.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
I take mine through the touch less all the time. In the winter I like the high pressure to clean the underbody. Gets all that salt off. Then I take it home and put on the finishing touches. Wax about every 3 months.

Reactions: Farkleboy

·
Banned
3,314 Posts
I do the local wash place for the under side spray as well during the winter. Problem at home is that my water is so damn hard it leaves spots if I don't towel dry it and I don't have the fundage to get some nice drying towels. Kids love to do it, but not sure about the new truck. The van was already beat up so I didn't care. Most of the time they spent 3 min washing and the rest of the afternoon chasing each other with the hose. I save money on my water bill by doing it and the self wash. Plus we have 25 cent Tuesdays at the do it yourself place!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
738 Posts
I do and haven't had a problem with my tundra or sequoia. Just make sure to take off the antenna.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Are you lifted at all? There are some that can do a decent job but for the most part, if it looks small and neglected, stay away. They will never clean as thorough as a hand wash
No, but I thought because it is such a large vehicle, with BIG mirrors that it might create issues. I assume the antenna would have to come off?

I never took my previous car through the wash, we do hoever take our GX470 through the car wash - it's just convenient, but the GX is a dwarf compared to the Tundra.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not anymore.

I've lost 3 antennas, and picked up new scratches every time. I'll never put a quarter, or my card in any carwash for my truck again.

If it was white or silver, hell yeah. Since I'm black, that shit will get hand washed when I'm damn well good and ready to wash it.....once a month if its lucky :D
My Tundra is white, but I would prefer no scratches and not have to worry about the hassel of replacing antennas etc.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts