Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tundra's comes from factory without a lock door for the gas tank opening (where you put gas in). Are you guys ever worried somebody might throw something in your gas tank since it is unlocked? Do you guys have something to lock access to it?

What can happen if somebody does? I think a ruined engine. Anybody know of any good gas lid locks I can purchase to protect mine?

·
Registered
408 Posts
With the price of gas, Im more worried about some POS stealing my liquid gold. Definitely considering locking it up.

Reactions: 4dailyrunner

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
I just bought the Gates gas cap from Amazon. Added a cabin air filter to get free shipping.

I'm more concerned that someone might make a deposit and not a withdrawal.

Plus, I now have a spare.

·
Registered
115 Posts
STANT Locking gas cap for me as well. I've always worried about someone stealing the gas or dropping something in the tank.

·
Premium Member
3,545 Posts
Not worth the hassle to me. I have seen gouged up truck bed sides. Me thinks thieves found a locking cap and took out their frustrations on the paint.

Besides, there are very few times I have more than 1/4 tank. If they can get that fuel out with out damage to my truck, I figure it is a fair trade.

KO

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
There were some reports in the past where locking gas caps on the Tundra could just be twisted off when locked.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Tundra's comes from factory without a lock door for the gas tank opening (where you put gas in). Are you guys ever worried somebody might throw something in your gas tank since it is unlocked? Do you guys have something to lock access to it?

What can happen if somebody does? I think a ruined engine. Anybody know of any good gas lid locks I can purchase to protect mine?
If my gas cap is off or loose it throws an emissions code. I go to Vatozone, they read it and turn it off for free in about 5 minutes. I had one stolen maybe when I was in college or something. Hasn't happened since and I haven't bothered with one.

·
"Missing a Few Liters"
4,424 Posts
This is somewhere on my list. Anyone try this? I suspect a good crowbar could get by it, but it might keep the casual criminal looking somewhere else?

·
Registered
245 Posts
U can't get gas out , there is a blocker that is at the tank, I tried to during the fuel shortage to get some out
Yeah, i didn't think you could on most modern vehicles.... I tried on my wife's car when it was totaled in a wreck, but you could not get a hose down the filler neck.

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
^Like he said, it's an antisiphon tube. Locking gas cap just keeps the kid down the street from putting sugar in your tank.
And you have a plastic gas tank. If someone wants your gas, it isn't hard to put a hole in the bottom and get 5 gallons out.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
U can't get gas out , there is a blocker that is at the tank, I tried to during the fuel shortage to get some out
Correct...that is why most gas thieves drill a hole in the tank these days.:eek:

Reactions: Cruzrtwdgt

·
Registered
607 Posts
Correct...that is why most gas thieves drill a hole in the tank these days.:eek:
Was just going to say that. Cordless drill, plastic tubing, and a portable container.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Nope, even though I wouldn't mind getting one. My neighborhood is very safe.

·
Premium Member
13,349 Posts
I have a theft prevention tool called a Baretta and if he's real lucky he may meet my Budweiser aluminum bat. He may have 2 bud lite's. Seriously I did get a Stant at the auto parts very cheap if you have a need to get one. I don't bother using it. My truck is garage kept so I would introduce the jack to Bud since he's technically in my house.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts