Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently switched from after market wheels to factory TRD wheels on a 2010 Tundra I bought. The shop that swapped the wheels out told me one of the tpms sensors is leaking and needs to be replaced. Does the new sensor have to be programmed? They said it would be about $80 to change it out. I've never had a vehicle with tpms on it, and probably could go another 50 years without them-don't really see the need for them-I know how to check air pressure in tires.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I recently switched from after market wheels to factory TRD wheels on a 2010 Tundra I bought. The shop that swapped the wheels out told me one of the tpms sensors is leaking and needs to be replaced. Does the new sensor have to be programmed? They said it would be about $80 to change it out. I've never had a vehicle with tpms on it, and probably could go another 50 years without them-don't really see the need for them-I know how to check air pressure in tires.
Never done my Yota but sounds about right, replaced one on an '08 Suburban at work and cost my $100 and they have to set up the TPMS monitor to read the senders correctly.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I had to get mine programmed at Toyota after my upgrade. It cost me $55 for all 5 TPMS.

·
Registered
309 Posts
there are only 4 sensors on a 2nd gen. and any decent tire shop can program them. you can also program it yourself with a techstream
My upgraded spare tire/wheel is a match aftermarket as my mounted 4. I can not stand to use the stock spare tire if one of the others has to be changed out.

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
Go take off one of your wheels and put on the spare. Drive it around and see if the light is still out. Then go back and see your dealer.

Matching the spare to the other tires has zero to do with the question

·
Cereal Killer
20,307 Posts
There are numerous methods available for disabling this useless technology. I have all of mine inside a pressurized pipe. Others use a simple electronic circuit costing a few dollars to turn off the receiver in the dash.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Go take off one of your wheels and put on the spare. Drive it around and see if the light is still out. Then go back and see your dealer.

Matching the spare to the other tires has zero to do with the question
What I said is that all my 5 Fuel wheels, Toyo tires and TMPS are all matched for looks and programmed. If I had a flat tire and had to put on the stock spare it will look funny with three Fuels Wheels and stock Toyota Spare.

All I am saying is I paid $55 for all 5 to be programed. It was a price reference for dieselgoat. So in end, if the NEW TMPS is not recognized by the truck then yes it has to be programmed.

There are some vehicles that have TMPS in the stock spare. I had a co-worker that had all four mounted with prescribed PSI specs but the spare was not which caused the TMPS to come on. He pumped the spare and the light went off.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Is the dealership the only place to get the TPMS?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts