Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello trying to get this out there to save some money and heart ache for others. I am on my second first gen tundra and love them! I bought JBA headers for my 06 DC and they were off from the beginning, bolt holes had to be ground out but got them on using factory nuts and Remflex gaskets. Drivers side leaks like crazy, so looking a a thousand to have factory manifolds put back on. DO NOT BUY JBA and waste your time, knuckle skin and money.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I am using TRD headers, but, I have read many good things on the JBA's.

Is it possible you just got a bad set? Did you contact them or distributor to inquire about replacement? Did you take any pics before doing any cleanup to holes or flanges?

I would not pay 1000 or so to go back to stock OEM manifolds which are junk without resolving the JBA issue first.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I did not take pics before, it is a very involved install and the truck has been down three weeks. I can't have it down any longer, I bought the headers on line and I'm sure since they have been modified I won't get anything back. JBAs website won't let me send email, I tried calling but got recordings. I'm just sick of the whole thing I learned about an 1800 dollar lesson

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Yikes. How did you end up paying $1800 for this lesson? JBA's are about $400-450 depending on site bought from.

I feel your pain, but, not sure why you do not check into it. If I got a bad set of headers, I would push every button I could. Did you do other work with the install? Did you pay for the install?

I would be pissed if it happened to me, but, not enough info to understand how you got to a $1800 problem with them.

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Premium Member
1,968 Posts
The 05-06 ones cost a few hundred more than the early models and are known to need slight modification on the bolt that holds near the injector tube. The common fix is to use a smaller bolt, even then it is super difficult to get it tightened. Did you follow the torque sequence right? The crucial step is the torquing of the flanges to the heads. I've never heard testimony of anybody using Remflex gaskets on the head/flange, I would think they aren't flexible enough to seal well if they are like the collector gaskets.

I checked on your thread on TS occasionally, understandably you had a rough time and it went on far longer than it should have. Headers aren't meant for the weekend warrior to install, there is a lot of room for error. If you can't reach JBA, try reaching Petronix, they own JBA and several other exhaust companies. They might be able to help you out, but the idea of using products that did not come with the headers and not having professional install my be against you.

Much like JB said, I know a few people who had no problems with JBA. I installed mine in one long beer fueled day in 2009, not a problem yet. I hope you get something worked out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
$500 headers, $75 gaskets, $140 high lift jack, $100 various wrenches, sockets and universals......$1000 to have the stock manifolds put back on.....priceless!
Yes all was torqued properly the passenger side seated fine, I have done several sets before including two JBAs previously with no issues. I ordered on line and that got convoluted as the place I ordered wasn't the one that shipped and I have an invoice from yet another. I have modified to fit them and I am sure that wont be warrantied. I was just putting it out there to save someone else the trouble and junk punch to the wallet.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Ya the newer tundras might be different because they have the vvt-i...

Man sorry to hear this...

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Usautoparts.com will not return modified merchandise, which I understand they cannot resale and I cannot get in touch with Pertronix which is JBAs parent company, but I'm sure that will be the same answer, modified merchandise. Oh well, lesson learned!

·
Registered
738 Posts
I'm surprised you can't get ahold of anyone cuz I called JBA and spoke with somebody in less than a minute. They were unable to answer all my questions though and transferred me to one of the techs voicemails. I left the tech a message and he called me back within 10 minutes and answered my remaining questions. I felt like they had great customer service.

·
Registered
9,298 Posts
Usautoparts.com will not return modified merchandise, which I understand they cannot resale and I cannot get in touch with Pertronix which is JBAs parent company, but I'm sure that will be the same answer, modified merchandise. Oh well, lesson learned!
I wouldn't give up trying to contact JBA directly and explain your situation. Best case is they'll be gracious enough to send you replacement headers for your troubles that you can sell on ebay since you couldn't wait and had to install the stock manifolds.

Don't give up easily. That's what most companies are expecting. It's amazing the BS I have to go through with a lot of companies just to legitimately get my money back on things hoping you'll give up in the process.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If there was a problem with their part call them and exchange it for a correct set. All companies have a defective parts here and there. I had a Volant intake that was not correct so I called them and exchanged for the correct intake.

I would call them to see what they can do to help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts