Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Crew Max 5.7 FF

Payload sticker is about 1250 after the options added.....( I will verify exact number)

We are looking at this trailer: Genesis Supreme 19SS or SSL

Weights are:

5220 (dry)
8200 (loaded)
620 (hitch weight)
24.5 Length

I would think if the weights are somewhat reliable we would be okay with the Tundra but if they are way underrated I could see us getting in trouble quickly.

I will only be adding a single 500cc ATV (500ish lbs) to the garage so I don't think we will be approaching the GVWR of the trailer.

Let me know what you experts think and any suggestions you may have?

I am a novice to towing and live in Salt Lake City so elevation and mountain passes are common.

Also if going to a 3/4-1 ton what are the most reliable trucks to buy used 2012-2018

·
Registered
249 Posts
I tow a 28' trailer, 6000 dry weight, my 17 crewmax pulls it great. Just get a good equalizer hitch and you'll be fine. I also live in SLC so I hear you on the mtns. One thing is you'll use more RPMs than you might think... I almost exclusively use 4th gear in manual mode and tow at about 70 mph. Runs about 3k RPMs.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Just remember to pack everything in the trailer and not in your truck. Truck carrying capacity is the one weight limit that you exceed. Place items on top of, or behind trailer axles. Don't fill fresh water tank until you reach campground. Don't forget to get Airbags or another suspension helper to help with ride and squat.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I agree with fastech, except you NEED to make sure you don't go below 10% total trailer weight for the tongue weight... You can get into big handling trouble if you get too light in ratio. I am thinking about airbags as mine occasionally bottoms out even with the equalizer hitch when I get into extra bouncy roads. Otherwise I've been fine

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
137 Posts
You should be good. Get a good weight distributing hitch, set it up right, with a good brake controller set up right, and it will tow like a dream. A Tundra is the best tow vehicle I have ever pulled with. Enjoy.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have a 2016 Crew Max 5.7 FF

Payload sticker is about 1250 after the options added.....( I will verify exact number)

We are looking at this trailer: Genesis Supreme 19SS or SSL

Weights are:

5220 (dry)
8200 (loaded)
620 (hitch weight)
24.5 Length

I would think if the weights are somewhat reliable we would be okay with the Tundra but if they are way underrated I could see us getting in trouble quickly.

I will only be adding a single 500cc ATV (500ish lbs) to the garage so I don't think we will be approaching the GVWR of the trailer.

Let me know what you experts think and any suggestions you may have?

I am a novice to towing and live in Salt Lake City so elevation and mountain passes are common.

Also if going to a 3/4-1 ton what are the most reliable trucks to buy used 2012-2018

That hitch weight will be dry weight. Fully loaded or nearly so is easy to do with full water some gear and a quad. Expect a minimum of 850 to maintain 10% for proper towing but expect 950-1050 easily. Adjusting position of quad a small amount can change hitch weight quite a bit.

I have an 8k GVW trailer. With my 3 dogs in the bed (150is lbs) plus a couple kennels, firewood etc and very little in the cab and I am probably 200-500 lbs over payload. I weighed my rig and was 500 over on rear axel wit a trailer weight of approx 7200 lbs. It was my 2nd trip.

I need to keep adjusting loading and weighing truck at CAT scales so not over on axels. Up to you how much risk you take. Yes Tundra had good brakes and a large ring gear in axel bit its still not a fully floating axel. Thats why I dont want to overload and burn it up.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I recommend installing SumoSprings on your truck. I have them on my 2017 Limited, and I find it really helps with the ride level and bouncing when going over bumps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts