Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are plenty of DIYs out there put I wanted to share what I got accomplished today.

Smoked rear tailights with VHT Nite Shades and VHT Clear Coat

First, masked off area I wanted to be lighter

Apply first coat then remove tape

Wait 10 minutes then apply Second coat on entire light ( first coat for masked area )

Then spray clearcoat, I did 5 coats, 10 minutes apart. Let dry in sun for 3 hours.

Then wetsand with 2000 grit, compound with M105, polish with M205, install on truck

Plenty of light shines through and they are nice and glossy

Also did BHLM following alwayslooking diy

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
408 Posts
Very nice

·
Registered
1,148 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Awesome! I think I want to do this to my lights as well. I at least want to do the head lights, but haven't had the time lately.

What was the product you used to tint the tail lights?

Edit: I re-read the OP, and see it is VHT Night shades, but I'm not familiar with that. I'll have to do some research.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
VHT clearcoat. It's better then any other can clearcoat I've used, doesn't run as easy if you spray too much which results in a smoother finish.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CPCRJK/ref=cm_sw_r_an_am_ap_am_us?ie=UTF8[/ame]

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
"BHLM Master"
3,232 Posts
Nice BOUD!!!!

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Thanks for this post. I just finished my smoked tail lights and I never would have attempted the mod without this forum.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the excellent write up and pictures. Very easy to follow along without question.

I decided to do 3 coats of Night Shades, one with tape and two without. I am awaiting my 5th coat of clear to dry so I can start wetsanding this evening. I can't wait to see how they turn out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts