Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This DIY is geared towards using the TRD FRS shift knob, so if you use another knob you will need to change the DIY up a bit to fit your application. I will offer different options throughout the DIY

Here are the parts you need to buy.

Shift Boot Retainer:
I tried TONS of different ideas here. From small pulleys to air hose couplings to threaded inserts and spent countless hours doing research. I ended up going with heater hose as my final solution, it is cheap and everyone has access to it. 1 foot cost me $1.50. Gates heater hose #28417

Gates® Safety Stripe® 28417 - Straight Heater Hose | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Alternate Option: This would be an ideal shift boot retainer but I could not find one in 8mmx1.25. You could always buy threaded insert to make the 12mm into 8mm but i decided that was too much work for most people.

Black Mustang Shift Knob Boot Retainer Adapter for Manual Shifter Lever M12x1 25 | eBay

Shift Knob:
Here is the shift knob i used. Its a replica FRS TRD shift knob. The difference between the real and the replica knob, besides the price and quality, is that the factory TRD knob has a shift boot adapter. I will teach you how to make your own shift boot adapter since the replica doesn't have this. The real knob is $160 and the replica is about $40. Any 8mm.1.25 thread pattern knob should work. Depending on what knob you choose, a shift boot retainer may not be possible.

TRD Auto Leather Shift Knob Toyota Scion FRS GT86 Tacoma Tundra Camry 4Runner FJ | eBay

Alternate Option: This replica Knob has recently been posted and has the shift boot adapter, it might be worth a shot if you want to try and avoid making your own adapter

TRD Black Shift Knob w Red Stitch Toyota GT86 Scion FRS Subaru BRZ JDM | eBay

Shift Boot
Here is the shift boot I used. Im sure almost any universal boot will work.

JDM Racing Black Real Leather Red Stitch Manual Auto Shift Boot Cover Universal | eBay

**If you do not care if the shift boot is attached to the shift knob then making a shift boot adapter is not necessary, just put the boot over your shifter selector and your done!!**

Step 1: Preparing the shift boot
We need to remove the chrome collar, to do this turn the shift boot inside out. Cut the zip tie holding the collar and remove the collar.

Step 2: Preparing shift boot adapter
Cut about 2 inches of the heater hose and place it into the inside-out shift boot and zip tie it down. Turn the boot back to normal, about 1/2 of an inch should be exposed out the top of the boot. **You can use some glue if you like to keep the hose from moving down in the boot although I didnt**

Check and make sure the knob shits flush with the boot. If it does not just mess with the heater hose until it does sit flush

Step 3: Installing the shift boot

**I know the disassemble pics are a little weird since the boot is already installed but you get the idea :) **

Put the parking brake on and move the shifter to Drive. Remove the cup holders by just pulling up.

Remove hanging file holder in the glove box and Pull the lower console back and out.

Remove the shifter bezel out by removing the plastic clip in the lower left corner and pulling back on the shifter bezel.

Remove the electrical Clip in the back of the Bezel

Slide the boot over the shifter and make sure the skirt of the boot is pulled down around the shifter selector ,we will adjust the slack later.

Put the lower console back on along with the cup holders.

Thread on the knob and try to get the shift boot adapter into the bottom of the knob. More than likely you will need to adjust it from here to sit flush.

Now is where you adjust the boot slack. If the boot is too far down and has no slack, it will be very hard to get into and out of park. Too much slack and it will bind when you go into and out of park. Just pull the boot up a little bit at a time, if you pull to much out, remove the lower console again start over.

Once you have the boot set, move the shifter through all the positions and ensure there is no binding. No glue is needed to keep the boot in place, the pressure between the lower console is fine.

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
That's pretty slick. Nice idea, thanks for sharing.

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
Nice job.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys :)

I cant wait to see others with this mod, I might do this to my friends 4runner sometime soon.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice job! Great idea! Shifter has been bugging me. It seems to be a catch all. Stock knob is horrible. Thanks.
Tell me about it. As soon as took my truck home I knew I had to switch out the shift knob.

·
Registered
4 Posts
First, I think it turned out great. I ordered the parts today to do it myself. I was looking at the 3rd and 4th pictures and was wondering what the gold/copper colored washer is for. I noticed it's not in any of the other pictures. Thanks

Again great job

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is a female air coupling. That was one of the first things i used as a shift boot adapter. It actually holds to the boot tighter than the rubber hose but the size of the top of the fitting is very inconsistent spec wise.

I went to home depot and only 2 couplings out of the box fit into the shift knob so thats when i thought of using something else.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looking Good!

My favorite is when people ask to drive my truck and they just sit there for a minute confused haha.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Couldn't reset ImageUploadedByAG Free1461281067.739513.jpg

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Here is my new setup using Tacoma TRD PRO knob.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts