Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had a car stolen once......
lojack is pretty weak, the vehicle needs to be in the vicinity of the police GPS tracker in order for them to get the alert.
Lojack was removed and destroyed, and funny enough the bastards left it in the car as a gift to me.

Being the IT nerd that i am, im going to do this as an EASY project!

======================================
1. Craigslist - Droid Phone - $50/max
*or buy one from Boost Mobile
*Motorola RZR are about $30

2. Wheres my droid (WMD) - $Free - Download it App Market
**Set Keyword

3. Boost Mobile - Who Cares its $0.25 per Text
**DISABLE Mobile Data
***Settings, More Settings, Mobile Data [uncheck]
***This is so you dont get charged Web Fee's ($1/Day)

4. Test it - make sure it works, throw it in the GF car for a day...
**(put it on silent - no ringtone/vibrate)
***READ BELOW

5. Wire it up to a constant battery source, HIDE IT WELL!
======================================

TESTING:
Send a text message with your keyword to the "STOLEN" phone (Tundra)

With in 5 minutes, i got a text back with the GPS location: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=loc:xx.3876178,-xx.9237107 that will show you where the STOLEN phone (TUNDRA) is at.

**If you dont have BOOST in the area, go with a service provider that has prepay and the CHEAPEST android phone you can find!
**Also, id highly recommend calling the police first and give them the GPS location. No interaction with the thefi.
**Make sure you use your camera phone and thank me if this ever happens!
**Ill even refund you up to a $1 for the text message fees!:D

** If you do this, ALWAYS REMEMBER YOUR WMD KEYWORD

There are no service fees associated with the pay as you go, but id recommend you text it at least once a month to keep your account active.
For $3/year i think this would be a great mod!

·
Registered
9,298 Posts
OP, you need to "refill" every 90 days to keep the account active.

You can also "jam" a cellphone's transmission, but that's for the more sophisticated criminal.

Reactions: Wacked

·
Registered
663 Posts
Not a bad idea.. would be handy for motorcycles too (had one stolen before) if you could hide it well enough.

Reactions: BBP13 and Wacked

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OP, you need to "refill" every 90 days to keep the account active.

You can also "jam" a cellphone's transmission, but that's for the more sophisticated criminal.

Whatever the cost is, i think this is a better alternative than lojack.

If you try it on the wifes/gf phone and send a text message and nearly get an instant response.
(Kinda really want to set the keyword to"where ya at?" and see how she responds in the future) Haha! JK

But even if you have to refill, you can probably do it online.

The only thing that concerns me is that my truck is a weekend warrior, and worried about the battery dying out.

·
Registered
9,298 Posts
But even if you have to refill, you can probably do it online.

The only thing that concerns me is that my truck is a weekend warrior, and worried about the battery dying out.
Actually, with Boost Mobile you can set it up for auto refill at the minimum amount every 90 days if you choose. You can also take the cigarette lighter adapter, cut off the end and splice it into the 12V of the car's power and hide it up under the dash (provided there's no voltage conversion)...maybe velcro it to the backside of the glove box. Just a thought.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually, with Boost Mobile you can set it up for auto refill at the minimum amount every 90 days if you choose. You can also take the cigarette lighter adapter, cut off the end and splice it into the 12V of the car's power and hide it up under the dash (provided there's no voltage conversion)...maybe velcro it to the backside of the glove box. Just a thought.

I though about that, but i wouldnt put it in the dash.

I think there is a constant 12v on the overhead, but you need the adapter to convert from 12v to (whatever the USB voltage is)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Good way to see if your GF is cheating on you also.

·
Trans-Immigrant
15,631 Posts
I though about that, but i wouldnt put it in the dash.

I think there is a constant 12v on the overhead, but you need the adapter to convert from 12v to (whatever the USB voltage is)
It gets pretty damn hot up there.. it might auto shut off if it over heats... i'd put it under the center console, just pull out the cup holders and run the power to it...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts