Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
DISCLAIMER: By doing this modification you, the user, agree not to hold Tundra Talk, Myself, or any of the Administrators liable for damages that may be incurred during the installation, operation or removal of this procedure. You, the user, incur all risks associated.

Parts/Materials list:

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/
FX-R Projectors
Morimoto 35 watt ballast
D2S 6000K Bulbs
HID Wiring harness
Gatling gun shrouds
Nissan headlight sealer

Phillips Head screw driver
Torx head driver
Paint scraper
Drill with 2 1/2" Hole saw bit
Dremel with cut off and drum sanding attachments
Oven/Heat gun
Various sized machine bolts, nuts, washers
Wire tap
Pliers

First you need to remove the headlights. There are two 10mm bolts on top and two push pins on the inside near the radiator.

The filler panel needs to come out by gently pulling straight out.

Remove the last of the 3 10mm bolts. Disconnect the bulbs as you are pulling the headlight out.

Remove the Torx screws that are around the perimeter of the light and 1 by the turn signal bulb. Also remove the bulb seals, adjuster covers and rubber vent pieces. (For '10 & '11 models with headlight adjustment motor, I did not remove mine and it did not get damaged. It is up to you if you decide to remove it)

Heat your oven to 250 degrees and find a piece of cardboard that will fit on one of the racks. I removed one of the racks from the oven and put the other one on the bottom position.

Place your headlight in the oven for 8 minutes. Make sure that the there are not any parts of the headlight touching anything other than the cardboard.

When you remove the headlight from the oven. BE CAREFUL: IT IS HOT!! Use gloves and a paint scraper to start prying between the back of the headlight and the cover. Start at the inside top corner and work your way around, make sure you bend up the tabs as you make your way around.

Back out the adjustment screws all the way and remove the reflector housing. I used the cap of a spray paint can to mark where I would cut the hole for the projector housing. The horizontal lines on the reflector housing are level when the lights are on the truck so use these as a guideline.

You will need to notch out the bottom of the hole in order for the bottom of the projector to fit. I used the dremel with a cut off wheel and the large drum sander attachments to make the notch.

I then placed the projector in the housing and marked where the mounting holes would go by taking the dremel with a straight bit and drilling through the projector mounting holes into the reflector housing. You can see the small holes in the picture above.

I drilled the holes larger and installed the machine bolts with 2 washers and a nut. I cut off the excess bolt that was sticking out past the nut.

I put the headlights back together without the lens cover and installed them on the truck in order to aim the cut off. I just used my garage door and lined up the cut off lines so that they were horizontal and not angled. Took the headlights back off so that I could put JB Weld on them.

I mixed the JB Weld and used a foam paint brush with the foam part removed. I applied the JB Weld around the projector/housing and also around the bolts/nuts.

You will need to modify the gatling gun shrouds in order to fit the FX-R projectors. I used the dremel with a large drum sanding attachment to do this. I didn't take pictures of this but it is pretty simple. Just try them on, see where the interference is and remove that with the dremel. I will try to find a link to a post on another forum that had pictures.

After modifying the shrounds I put a small amount of JB Weld on the inside of the shroud and mounted it to the projector.

You should allow for the JB Weld to set up overnight before putting them back together.

The next day I heated the oven back up to 250 degrees and installed a small amount of headlight sealer. Purchased from this MyNismo.com - NISSAN OEM Sealer

Remove any dust, lint, fingerprints, etc. Use caution as the chrome scratches easily(I used a microfiber towel) Put the cover on the headlight housing and place in the oven for about 5 minutes, remove and push down on the cover to seat it better. Put it back in the oven for another 5 minutes, remove and push the cover back down completely. Install the Torx screws and the other parts along with the bulbs.

Install the wiring harness and ballasts for the HIDs. I tapped into the high beam wires for the Projector actuator that drops the shield for the high beams.(All the parts are included with the projectors) I used velcro to attach the ballasts inside the engine bay and ran the wiring harness next to the wire loom in front of the radiator, zip tying it to secure it.

I waited until dark to aim the headlights on the road. I picked a dead end road in my neighborhood so that I wouldn't be bothered by traffic.

Enjoy and good luck!!

·
Premium Member
6,883 Posts
thanks for the writeup.

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys!

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,701 Posts
Nice job and thanks for the write-up.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I don't know how I missed this, I was waiting to see this write up. Any night time pics?

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I finally got the weekend off and we should have some good weather. I will try to take some night time shots tomorrow night.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Man that looks nice

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know right?!?!? Tell me about it..I have hardly had any time to work on the truck much less relax. I have been averaging about 80 hours a week! Tomorrow I have a Viper alarm to install, leds, satoshi grill to work on, detail the truck, mountain biking, and also want to take the 4 wheeler out. Have a busy weekend ahead of me, lol.

I still want to fine tune the headlights tomorrow night so I will just snap some pictures then.

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
Can we get some pics of what your beam pattern looks like? Or maybe some video? OK maybe I'm pushing it with the video.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Bump for pics!

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
Haven't forgot, can we get some pics? I've been looking at buying FX-Rs.

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
New camera just came in this week...I haven't forgot either but my other camera didn't survive a drop while 4 wheeling. I tried to take a few pics with the camera phone but the results weren't too good.

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
Post nice pictures so the guys can see the real deal with a proper hid retrofit.

:thumbsup:
Pazorell I watch your video on you tube over and over, can't wait to retrofit mine. I follow you like twitter. :yesnod:

Reactions: pazorell69
1 - 20 of 131 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.