Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally found a ARE camper shell for $500 for my 2012 Crewmax. I have been looking for a very long time so its nice to finally be able to stop looking at craigslist and facebook market everyday.

Now that I have it, I am going to install some proline tracks to both the outside and inside of the shell (that way I have a lot of options for mounting inside the shell). Since I am pretty cheap (which should be obvious that I was excited by a $500 camper shell), I am planning on doing my own rack. I like the prinsu, but its so expensive and I think I can do it cheaper.

I plan on using a similar design, T-Slot material for the cross rails and aluminum 1/4" THK pieces for the side rails. I have a some cad models made that I think give me alot of adjustment in where I can place cross rails, be able to turn them 90° if needed, as well as install a 60° front fairing with a seal under it and an adjustable rear (final) support that I can use to mount any lights to. I am going to try and update this build log as I go through the ordering process in case anyone else wants to do something similar. I plan on finding a local shop to CNC the aluminum side rails for me. Not sure if I will have them anodized black, or just hit them with bedliner paint.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got the proline tracks installed on the outside and inside of the shell. Need to get some shorter stainless bolts since the hardware that came with it sticks out of the tracks on the inside. I need less adjustment on the inside so I am not too worried about that for now.

Need to design some brackets to attach my t slotted bars to the tracks. Has to be able to adjust the angle since the tracks are not parallel to each other on the top due to the curve of the shell roof. Shouldn't be to hard. Once the cross rails are on, I can finalize the design of the side rails

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts