Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

My name is John and I am the proud owner of a new Tundra Crewmax Limited. This is my second tundra and third Toyota truck. I couldn't be happier with my new purchase, except for the gas mileage? As my first new vehicle I want to maintain my it in the best condition possible, even if my three kids are determine to trash it.

I just installed a RetraxPro Tonneau cover. It looks and works great, though I haven't got inside with a flashlight and done a leak test. My next project is to build a de-ionizing water filtering unit. I figure the cheapest accessory is maintaining the metallic grey finish. Does anyone have any suggestions. I looked at the CR Spotless DIW-10, but was turned off by the price of the replacement cartridge; $65 every 150 gallons or 45 for the replacement resin. Not having done any extensive research I don't know if this is reasonable or not. I love to build things so I though I might be able to do it better or cheaper? Does anyone have any ideas?

·
"Resident Liberal"
12,231 Posts
I would have the water tested to see if you are going to gain anything before i spent the money. But that's just me.

·
Administrator
10,981 Posts
How hard is your water? If it's really hard, you'll burn through DI in no time.
I can build you a DI or an RODI if you want.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Philadelphia doesn't have very hard water, so an de-ionizer shouldn't be over worked. As for the offer to build a de-ionizer, half the fun is building the unit and the other half is talking about it. I could goes out and purchase a unit, but there would be no DIY street cred. I was hoping someone would have already done some research. It would seem that the only technical hurdle is sizing the resin chamber to accommodate normal hose pressure and flow. The most intriguing part of the de-ionizer is not having to dry the truck to prevent water spots.

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
I've got a water softener in my house. I use that soft water when washing the truck. I only use the deionized water for the final rinse. I just rinse the whole thing and walk away to let it air dry. No spots and haven't had to replace anything on the DI system yet.

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
I'm pretty sure I ordered mine from tridacna a few years back. That one pictured is the same as what I use for my final spot free rinse.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Di-Ionizer DIY cost Analysis with specs

I have done a little research at Water Filters - Water Systems - Water Treatment - FreshWaterSystems.com. You can definitely build a system for less than purchasing a pre-made kit. The only wild card is purchasing the resin without having to purchase bulk. You can have a system identical to the CR Spotless DIW-10 almost half the price. CR Spotless DIW-10 is $299.99 with resin, but you still need inlet and outlet connections.

$16.28 (2) 10"x4.5" Refillable Filter Cartridge
$10.35 (1) Mounting Bracket
$83.74 (2) PENTEK 10" BIG BLUE WATER FILTER HOUSING WITH PRESSURE RELIEF
$25.00 Misc., nipples, quick disconnect fittings, shipping
$45.00 Resin from CR Spotless

$180.37 Total (Identical System CR Spotless DIW-10 $299.00) 40% savings

20" System
$175.80 PENTEK BBFS-22 TWO BIG BLUE HOUSING FILTRATION SYSTEM with bracket
$25.90 20" X 4.5" REFILLABLE WATER FILTER CARTRIDGE - EMPTY
$25.00 Misc., nipples, quick disconnect fittings, shipping
$90.00 Resin from CR Spotless

$316.70 Total Option 1 (Identical System CR Spotless DIW-10 $399.00) 21% savings

$281.70 Total Option 2 (one filter housing with Resin and one with filter) 30% savings, this option saves $45 in resin costs

Analysis: 10" rack best savings. Rack two istisn't as good a savings, but it is the better functioning system. Differences between DIY and the CR Spotless: DIY come with fittings CR doesn't; Cr it has a conductivity meter. I will do some more research and find an affordable meter. I will research best prices and post at a later date. Another wildcard is the quality of resin. From my research so far there seems to be several different grades, which leads to another question: Which grade is best for different types of water quality. Part numbers and pricing is from the Fresh Water Systems website. More to come.

10" x 4.5" Refillable Water Filter Cartridge - Empty
SKU: REC-4510W

$16.28
Mounting Bracket - TWO Housing METAL "U" Shaped
SKU: FM40-W

$10.35
Pentek 10" Big Blue Water Filter Housing With Pressure Relief-3/4" NPT
SKU: 150469

$83.74
Pentek BBFS-22 Two Big Blue Housing Filtration System
SKU: 160166

$175.80
20" x 4.5" Refillable Water Filter Cartridge - Empty
SKU: REC-4520W

$25.98
DI Mixed Bed Resin Semi Conductor Grade 1 cu ft.
SKU: MBD-10-SC

Oversize/overweight fee applies
$294.59

1 - 12 of 12 Posts