Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is easy, I just figured I would add it cause i just changed out my starter and did this because I was already over 106K miles. The block drain bolt is easily accessed from the passenger side. I took the drivers side wheel off to get access to the block drain bolt on that side. Waste of time, got a few drops of coolant. I would just drain the passenger side block and jack the driver side up a bit to help it drain. Nice weekend project, Toyota ULL coolant is very good so if you're a bit past 100K it's not a huge deal.

1. Remove the front undercover and open drain on underside of radiator, driver side. Remove the fill cap to help it drain.
2. Take front right wheel off, remove the front rubber cover on the wheel well. Put rubber hose over drain nipple and open bolt. Gravity will do the rest.
3. Take overflow hose off top of radiator and snake down to drain overflow tank. I flushed it with water to clean out a bit of sediment buildup I noticed in there.
4. Flush system if it's cruddy. Mine was clean, I just added a 50/50 mix of new coolant.

Best Regards
ToyTurboDiesel

Attachments

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot one thing. As you add coolant it will burp and bubble a bit. No need to fill it to the tippy top, helps avoid spillage. Also it will have some air in the system which will burp itself out after a few hot-cold driving cycles. I filled the overflow tank above the full mark to have extra while it did this. Keep an eye on the tank and adjust as required after the system purges the air.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the DIY. Looking at the picture though, I'm not sure what I am supposed to be looking for.
Picture shows the block drain plug, just follow the pink line to the block on the first one. That is the passenger side, IMO don't bother draining the driver side plug, it's harder to get to and very little will come out. The second picture shows the drain plug but not very well.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where is the drain plug on radiator and what size tool to open it?
When under the truck it will be on the bottom driverside of the rad. I used my hand to open the petcock, it has an o ring so no need to overtighten.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Have to drop the skid as well, my hand is not that small but I see it for sure. White and on the side of radiator side of driver.
I have 5 years and 55,000 miles and was considering just draining the radiator and refilling every 2 years after 60,000 to avoid going into engine plugs.
Is 60,000 too soon or at 5 years it is a good idea?

When under the truck it will be on the bottom driverside of the rad. I used my hand to open the petcock, it has an o ring so no need to overtighten.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have to drop the skid as well, my hand is not that small but I see it for sure. White and on the side of radiator side of driver.
I have 5 years and 55,000 miles and was considering just draining the radiator and refilling every 2 years after 60,000 to avoid going into engine plugs.
Is 60,000 too soon or at 5 years it is a good idea?
My quess is it would be OK for a bit longer. However for the cost of a simple drain and fill it would be prudent. I reached down from the top of the rad to open the drain petcock, access underneath is limited. I drained the block as well because I was into a starter replacement which required removing the wheel and rubber splash covers. At 106K miles all that came out of the block was clean pink fluid. Long as air is not allowed into the cooling system it is remarkably reliable. I drained and rinsed the overflow bottle as well. Just remove the hose at the bottom.

·
Registered
47 Posts
How much actually came out of the block? And how much did it take to refill the system?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i had 2 gals of coolant and 2 gals of distilled water. did have some left over, less than a gal i believe. about 3/4 of a gal came out of the block, if you have the water pump off it may not have as much to drain.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I ended up using three gallons, with the rad and block drain. That was using Toyota pre-mixed coolant.
Sorry for the bump on an old thread - new Tundra owner here.

I purchased 3 gallons of the 50/50 mixture from a dealership today. The parts personnel did look up the year/engine size to determine how many quarts were needed.

Thanks for the good info here. Looking forward to changing my coolant this weekend.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I'm thinking about doing this soon to my truck. Is it necessary to drain the block? Every other DIY I can find suggests simply draining the radiator from below.

Also, when refilling with coolant is the best practice to fill the radiator to capacity and fill the reservoir to max or full line?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I used this handy little write up this past weekend to change the coolant on our 08 Sequoia. It is a simple job but I don't know that I would've found the block drain without this helpful post. I took a couple of pictures to add to this in hopes that it will help somebody else.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thread revival:

Get yourself a no spill funnel and attachments for the radiator. Makes filling/burping so much easier.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have it done at the dealer so the anti-freeze can be recycled. Considering that with my truck it only needs to be done every 125,000 miles it is not worth the small cost savings in the overall scheme of things.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts