Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I traded in my tundra for a mustang and about a week or two before I did, I swapped my chrome bumper over to a plastic one. Very straight forward swap and the only complicated part was knowing which parts are needed.
Please read through the "guide" before doing anything.
Not all pictures and files are mine and rights are given to their owners. I am not liable if you mess up in anyway!!!! :D
I did this awhile back so this list might not be entirely accurate so don’t rely on the list! Look at the diagrams provided.
Parts list:

47749-08010 (4)
90467-07201 (4)
538780C010
538770C010
521430C020 (2)
9026906017 (6)
9008017066 (2)
9046705138 (2)
9008015094 (2)
9018906028 (2)
The plastic bumper cover. I forgot the part #!

Various pictures and Diagrams I used researching the bumper swap (you guys should use this as a reference for anything I missed.)

Random swap pictures found all over. Look for the differences. First 3 are chrome bumper assembly

Highlighted in red are the major differences, the fog brackets (not used in plastic) and side insert

NOTE: The fender splash shields for the plastic bumper are different.

Here are some sport bumper pictures. Just the cover removed so internals are showing.
The insert bracket for the plastic bumper and splash shield are highlighted.

NOTICE HERE THE NEW BRACKETS THAT MOUNT THE BOTTEM PORTION OF THE BUMPER TO THE REINFORCEMENT BAR.

Next four pictures are diagrams which are critical and I used these for most of the research.
Again differences are highlighted.
First two are plastic assembly

These two are chrome for reference

Install process. Very easy and straight forward. Took me a day and I took plenty of breaks for food and doing random shit.
Look at the attached .pdf file for how to uninstall the chrome one. It is a highly detailed guide and I could not have done it better (Nevermind. the pdf was too big. Send me your email for the file or google Trans4mer Grille Guard/Winch Mount installation)
I’ll pick up from the installation of the plastic bumper.

Mah parts before install

Bumper off, exposing the fog brackets (which are no longer needed). I don’t know if the chrome bumper fog lights would fit into the plastic ones as I bought new ones. The mounting points are at the same place, it’s just how they mount is the difference.

My reinforcement bar was predrilled for the new bumper brackets needed. I’m not sure if this is the case for all model years but I think it was for mine (2007).

Toyota wants you to put rivets in the holes, but I couldn’t find a rivet gun big enough so I used nuts and bolts. Careful as these can vibrate out over time verses rivets.

After you do this install the new side mounting bracket (sorry no picture) for the plastic bumper which is highlighted in the pictures and diagrams. After that install the bumper cover which should snap into place. Reuse the retainer clips that were taken off from the chrome bumper assembly and put them back into place at the top of the cover.

Next you want to install your fog lights, plastic bumper mounting brackets then the NEW splash shield.
The install bracket should look like this when completed

When installing the splash shield, note that the hole highlighted by the blue box is no longer used. The one with the red circle will be used to mount the new shield.

Bolt everything up then…

I put this guide together in an hour so I know it's not entirely complete and polished but I'll be here to answer any questions!

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Thanks for your write up. If I were to swap, I would just take the chrome bumper off and bring it to a body shop. They can strip the chrome via sand blast, prime, color match and clear. Probably most economical and all parts will fit (same parts). They quoted me $450 for both bumpers.

·
Registered
948 Posts
thanks for this. I was confused why people said is was impossible. My 2010 bumper was zip tied on since all my mounts broke. So all I would need to do switching my cchrome bumper on my 2012 is.....zip tie the resin on.

The fog light housing was the same though. Im 99% positive from my 08, 10 and 2012

·
Registered
287 Posts
I am looking at doing this myself, thanks for the post. As far as I can tell I can do this for about $600 in parts. There is actually a lot of stuff that doesn't need to be replaced. In my research I have found that the fog lights (not housing), reinforcement, valance panel, park sensors, and mount brackets are the same. That is most of the big ticket items. The big new items needed are the bumper cover, fog lamp housings, side supports, upper retainer, side brackets, liner extensions, and fender brackets. Also about $90 in misc hardware is needed. I have created a spreadsheet with part numbers if anyone needs more info.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I chatted with Powerhogger and the parts missing from the list above are the new side brackets:

52115-0C050: right side bracket (resin bumper)
52116-0C020: left side bracket (resin bumper)

I also found that there may be some variation based on production date of your truck as well - the site specifies that for trucks built after 02/2007, part number 52143-0C020 is replaced with 52143-0C030 (not sure what the difference, if any is)

The Chrome bumper's fog lights may not be a direct swap (they appear to mount differently)

I talked to a local body shop and they mentioned they have a rivet gun that they could use to mount the bottom brackets for the Resin bumper, so this weekend I plan on taking out the splash shields and checking if my reinforcement bar is pre-drilled for the rivet holes.

·
Registered
471 Posts
confirmed my 08 (mid 2007 build) DC is predrilled for the SAP bumper mounts as well... so begins the part ordering!

·
Registered
471 Posts
also missing from the list - fender liner extension panels (don't have the part number) but on Sparks they're called

Collision Catalog - 2008 - Toyota - TUNDRA edit: 53805-0C011
body hardware, fender, fender & components, liner extension w/resin type bumper Right

Collision Catalog - 2008 - Toyota - TUNDRA edit: 53806-0C011
body hardware, fender, fender & components, liner extension w/resin type bumper Left

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
I have been going to the Toyota dealers and asking all over the place, what is needed and required to do the chrome - plastic paint matched bumper swap to see if it's worth it, and no one was able to help out....until NOW! this is an awesome write up! Thanks PowerHogger for taking the time to research and write this up!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your welcome folks. I always read somewhat conflicting info on the changing bumper subject so I did the research to get a more definitive answer.

Here's more tips/info

Total cost for me was about 300-400 with everything. That includes aftermarket bumpers and fog lights.

With the fogs some have said they are interchangeable with the two different bumpers but I held both versions in my hand and can tell you the the way they mount is completely different, although the holes to mount on the housings are in the same location. The chrome fogs have that bracket to mount on to whereas the resign bumper fog lights mount on the bumper itself with push tabs.

Also, you don't have to remove anything to check and see if you are pre drilled. Just crawl under the front of the truck and there should be an opening in the splash shields where you can stick your hand in and fill them out.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Thanks powerhogger, where did you order all the parts from? Cant wait to do this!, also where did you order the resin bumper from

·
Registered
471 Posts
Powerhogger doesn't check this site much anymore (I emailed him to figure out the missing parts from the list), but you can get the hardware from Sparks.

I bought my resin bumper from Autofit (a local place) for $54 after tax - it's a brand new aftermarket OEM copy made by TYG

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks powerhogger, where did you order all the parts from? Cant wait to do this!, also where did you order the resin bumper from
I got most of the little stuff like bolts, nuts, fasteners, brackets at the local Yota dealer since I couldn't find an aftermarket equivalent for certain parts at the time. Fog lights with housings with some HID kit was had on ebay for about $100. I forgot where I got the bumper from but last I checked it was no longer for sale there. Bought 2-3 of them for 43 bucks shipped! Look on ebay and on google for the cheapest bumper since they all come from the same place.

quiksi did you get the mod goin' with the correct parts?

·
Registered
471 Posts
I'm going out of town for about a week but the swap parts should be coming in soon, I already got the bumper

I found for me in Houston, ordering from Sparks was cheaper than going local due to tax - the only dealer that had comparable prices to Sparks said they could only honor those prices for orders they ship out. There's one dealer in town here that will honor online prices for local pickup, but they're a bit pricier and I plan on going to them for any leftovers.

I also looked around at aftermarket copies of the mounting hardware, but at least on eBay they aren't any cheaper than going with OEM, and being able to order everything at once saves on shipping

·
Registered
721 Posts
I am trying work with a guy that has a work truck so we can swap the bumpers between our two trucks, mine is chrome and his is the black plastic, so it would be a one for one swap!

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
powerhogger or quicksi, the part numbers listed above, ex. 47749-08010 (4) , does the 4 in parenthesis mean quantity or is it part of the actual part number. did you order one of each? or take count for both sides, left and right? thanks..i looked at the pdf files, and could see the 4 as in quantity, considering the left and right sides?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am trying work with a guy that has a work truck so we can swap the bumpers between our two trucks, mine is chrome and his is the black plastic, so it would be a one for one swap!
Hell yes

powerhogger or quicksi, the part numbers listed above, ex. 47749-08010 (4) , does the 4 in parenthesis mean quantity or is it part of the actual part number. did you order one of each? or take count for both sides, left and right? thanks..i looked at the pdf files, and could see the 4 as in quantity, considering the left and right sides?
The number inside the parenthesis is TOTAL needed and takes into consideration of both sides. Hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
So I was really wanting to do this swap to the paint matched bumper, but it looks like I'm going to go the powder coated route instead. The main reason is it will cost me a grand total of about $100 with labor and everything to get my bumper powder coated. Kind of hard to pass that up even though I will have that gap between the top and bottom part of the bumper.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Well all parts are ordered as far as I can tell. I was a little confused on the parts needed because not all part #'s were given here. With that being said I intend on giving a true step by step install on the swap with all parts that are actually needed, because I have spent a great deal of time researching it all!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts