Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm a little late to the party,but I would've just hung a tennis ball on a string from carport ceiling that would touch the windshield a couple inches before the bumper would touch the wall.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
LOL Yeah you are really late because that wouldn't help at all in what this entire thread was about. But its a great idea and I have seen people using that technique for years.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
LOL Yeah you are really late because that wouldn't help at all in what this entire thread was about. But its a great idea and I have seen people using that technique for years.
Agreed , a little to late and that idea does work well if just for coming into a garage or carport but we don't find balls on a string hanging from a sky hook in the middle of a big parking lot . . .lol . . .
Sure am loving my front camera. It was worth every dollar I put into it and with being wireless it was so easy to install . Better safe than sorry .

·
Registered
25 Posts
Meh I just backup everywhere, easier to get out. Also since I have trailer hitch would hate to have it sticking out and catch someone not paying attention.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I definitely had this "issue", if that's what it can be called, when I first got my 2018 as well. I would think I'm right up there snug against something only to get out and have 3 or 4 feet worth of clearance still. Only thing I can tell ya is if you're pulling up to a wall or something solid the sensors will let you know when you're there, so to speak. Usually too there, at least for my comfort level anyway. Sure, you could go out and buy a camera or whatever to help aid in the effort to park your truck, but beings that the truck comes equipped with a camera on the tailgate latch and is designed to assist you while parking in reverse I would just use that. Just back into the spot you were gonna nose into instead. If that isn't an option or you simply cannot be bothered to do that just take the inevitability that driving your truck and parking it more and more will get you used to judging your distances.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’ve had the same problem repeatedly. I had to laugh about 6 feet though. Then I thought about it and realized I had a couple of those misses early on. It is always such a surprise to see so much more space than predicted.

Still happens (2-3’), but I actually touched a post with the lic. plate frame the other day. I was very surprised by that too. I should get a camera. .

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Well , it is 12 months now since I started this thread. I would like to thank all who participated with their various views on it. I have had lots of cars , suv's and vans in my time . Even a smaller 1/2 ton pickup truck back in the 50's and never had any depth perception problems with any of them until I got my Tundra . Much higher hood and overall height than I previously had. Not calling down my Tundra in any way. I love it. Totally trouble free for a little over the year I have owned it. That camera that I mounted on the front was easy to install and it is one of the best accessories I have ever bought . I use it every day and when parking with anything in front of me I move up to where the red line reaches the object and stop . That allows me 12 to 14" distance and works perfect every time . I can't recall a single new vehicle I have owned in the past 65 years that has not had at least one or or sometimes a number of warranty repairs in the same mileage as I have on my Tundra now . Slightly over 20K km and not a single recall or warranty issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I never really worry about parking. Yes our tundra is big but since I somewhat drive semi truck's and forklifts... The way I park her is the way I park the semi truck's, by this I Jack knife somewhat along with my forklift skills I can park her with no issues even when their a card side by side and behind me like at Wal-Mart or the mall. But it all depends on how the lot and how the two persons that parks their cars. Over the years I learned that our trucks are big and it always look like we are close in front or behind, however once you park and there are still lot's of room so I tend to know that the side mirrors are zoom in, so I move up or back just a foot more than what looks to be no room but end up prefect.

·
Registered
18 Posts
61 - 69 of 69 Posts