Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
OK , thanks. I guess I don't have those but I do have the lane indicators and the radar speed control both which of which I am very pleased with .Both are great features .
You have them...just need to turn them on. Look in your manual.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
You have them...just need to turn them on. Look in your manual.

No , I do not have them but wish I did . I googled videos on it and then went out to my varport and checked . There are buttons on the two functions to the right but the one that I would that I would need to the left side has a blank cover over the hole so it must be part of a trim package above mine .
Probably wouldn't need the camera that is coming if I had those sensors on mine .

·
Registered
24 Posts
No , I do not have them but wish I did . I googled videos on it and then went out to my varport and checked . There are buttons on the two functions to the right but the one that I would that I would need to the left side has a blank cover over the hole so it must be part of a trim package above mine .
Probably wouldn't need the camera that is coming if I had those sensors on mine .
Dang!! Well Practice makes perfect my friend. Best of luck to you!
Cheers

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had the same problem when I bought my 2016 CM. So I developed a plug and play solution. It works with the factory HU in the latest Gen Tundras, Tacoma’s, 4-Runners, etc. and will work with Aftermarket HU as long as they have OEM Adapter cables.

I Call it the FRAC Harness. (Front Rear Anytime Camera). Here’s a quick video of how it works:

https://youtu.be/PpMYUCYiLtM

·
Registered
33 Posts
To the OP.I hear ya. I went to the Tundra from driving a Honda Fit. Had a 1991 4RUNDER as well. Fit can park anywhere. 4Runner didn't matter. Just pulled forward until I felt the bump :)

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
I had the same problem when I bought my 2016 CM. So I developed a plug and play solution. It works with the factory HU in the latest Gen Tundras, Tacoma’s, 4-Runners, etc. and will work with Aftermarket HU as long as they have OEM Adapter cables.

I Call it the FRAC Harness. (Front Rear Anytime Camera). Here’s a quick video of how it works:

https://youtu.be/PpMYUCYiLtM

https://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tundra-audio-visual-discussion/759480-easy-front-rear-anytime-camera-mod.html

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
That is a nice hookup you have there.
I will be using the wireless kit that I discussed earlier .Was supposed to be here Friday but UPS screwed up. They found it and I let amazon know I wasn't happy about that so they issued a $20.00 gift card for my inconvenience and it is promised to arrive on Tuesday for sure .

BTW , within the past week I have posted two separate inquiries on separate Tundra topics apart from this one and I get a notice that they have to be approved first. Not sure what is going on with that . Three of four days seems like a little much for approval but perhaps that is the way the system works here ?

·
Super Moderator
5,323 Posts
BTW , within the past week I have posted two separate inquiries on separate Tundra topics apart from this one and I get a notice that they have to be approved first. Not sure what is going on with that . Three of four days seems like a little much for approval but perhaps that is the way the system works here ?
They don’t get approved if you don’t post in the proper section.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
They don’t get approved if you don’t post in the proper section.
OK , I thought they were just general discussion and would go into this section but perhaps not. The message that pops up said it is waiting for mod's approval .
I will search the different boards next time and try to post in a more appropriate one .

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have front and rear sensors. I think they are part of the Toyota Safety Sense feature. It lets you know when you are wearing out of your lane with lane indicators, and when cruise control is on it will speed up and slow down on its own according to the speed of traffic.
The sensors on the bumpers (front and back corners) only alert you if you are getting close to something. The speed sensor is in the Toyota emblem on the front grill (for sure 2018 model) and the lane warning uses the camera above the rear view mirror. I believe the cross-traffic sensor is separate from the rear bumper sensors.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Got my camera kit to mount on the front. A couple pictures of the monitor mounting. I mounted it on the dash so it was pretty well centre and close enough to eye level when viewing it. I dressed the wire down to lighter socket with sticky putty . I was thinking of putting a switch on that line but when considering it was a round cable and probably wouldn't have just two wires because of the built in usb port , I decided to refrain from a separate switch because cutting into that cable would void warranty if it was ever required. It should be no problem to just put the plug in or out about a 1/4 inch to use it as a switch .
My fuse wire tap is arriving today but it is so cold and windy that I have not attempted routing the wires from the camera up into engine compartment yet. Will probably wait for a little milder day .

·
Registered
13,570 Posts
Got my camera kit to mount on the front. A couple pictures of the monitor mounting. I mounted it on the dash so it was pretty well centre and close enough to eye level when viewing it. I dressed the wire down to lighter socket with sticky putty . I was thinking of putting a switch on that line but when considering it was a round cable and probably wouldn't have just two wires because of the built in usb port , I decided to refrain from a separate switch because cutting into that cable would void warranty if it was ever required. It should be no problem to just put the plug in or out about a 1/4 inch to use it as a switch .
My fuse wire tap is arriving today but it is so cold and windy that I have not attempted routing the wires from the camera up into engine compartment yet. Will probably wait for a little milder day .

When I do installs of plows or audio on Tundra's I go inside with the wire. Keeps the fuse box sealed as it should be. There is a small nipple under the main wiring boot going into the cab. You can poke a hole and route the wire through there into the cab. You can get an add-a-fuse to tap into the small inner cab fuse panel under the steering column. I believe it is the first or second fuse from the seat towards the firewall that is a keyed source, unless something changed in the last year.

Our fuses are goofy too, I use these ones to add a keyed power source/remote turn on.

https://www.ebay.com/p/1pcs-Add-a-Circuit-Line-Car-Mini-Low-Profile-ATM-Blade-Fuse-Tap-Holder/1691255603?iid=142124671749&chn=ps

Also, you can get some butyl tape aka ribbon sealer if you don't want the blue putty. It is black in color. Like strips of hard tar. Works great to seal holes where wires are routed, or stick stuff in places. A little bit goes a long way, super sticky. Also called ribbon sealer, or window butyl sealer etc. Most audio shops will have it, generally called sticky dumdum around here.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I’ve never had a backup camera or sensors in my truck. A camera would be nice for hooking up trailers but that’s about it. My wife’s sequoia has all that junk on it and we both turn the sensors off, she does like the camera though.

Learn your truck, and you will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Wife's new Highlander has the surround view. Looks like a bird looking straight down. Got so jealous, I bought an aftermarket kit to install on my Sequoia and Tundra. It arrived today, but probably won't install until the weekend.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Too doggone cold to be working outside with bare hands but I went at it anyway and installed my front camera and a new Tonneau cover.
Checked parking in various circumstances and that was the best money I have spent on a vehicle accessory in a long time . Pictures are reversed but that doesn't bother me one bit and I can easily stop within a foot of anything. Grainy picture is actually crystal clear on the monitor .
The tonneau cover was quite easy to install .

·
Registered
33 Posts
It is probably written some where in the direction that you can change to view on the camera so you see the correct view, I think it’s called mirror image. May have to cut a wire that come out of camera or just change something in the tools section on the screen.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
It is probably written some where in the direction that you can change to view on the camera so you see the correct view, I think it’s called mirror image. May have to cut a wire that come out of camera or just change something in the tools section on the screen.
Thanks and possibly so but until I find something definite on that I think I will wait until a modification is posted about it. Not holding my breath though . . lol . . .Don't want to spoil my warranty and it is working so good that I don't even notice the reversal.I just watch for that red line while creeping up to what is ahead of it and I know I am a little over a foot away . If it is a real tight spot I know I can go just over the red line and still not bump into anything .

·
Registered
137 Posts
This feature is not available with the Autovox camera/monitor.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Congrats Barnyo on doing your install.Looks just like mine except that I have the wired version of this unit.Also,my monitor is mounted just in front of the shifter in the console.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm a little late to the party,but I would've just hung a tennis ball on a string from carport ceiling that would touch the windshield a couple inches before the bumper would touch the wall.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

41 - 60 of 69 Posts