Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm suprised this is such an issue for people. I've never had an issue what so ever in any vehicle. I can get my truck inches from my garage shelves or really anywhere out and about. You guys saying you think you're there and are five or six feet away should probably get a really small car. That's insane. Flame away but that's not normal at all.

Reactions: mrmachinist

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
I'm suprised this is such an issue for people. I've never had an issue what so ever in any vehicle. I can get my truck inches from my garage shelves or really anywhere out and about. You guys saying you think you're there and are five or six feet away should probably get a really small car. That's insane. Flame away but that's not normal at all.

Are you eighty two years young like I am ? ?
If not , and you happen to reach my age and are as healthy as I am for my age , you might develop a bit of depth perception as well . Many people have varying degrees of depth perception (even a lot of younger ones do) but I'm really not insane as you might have thought and I'm fairly normal . . ..

·
Registered
281 Posts
So...how old are you and how tall are you? I'm 60 and I'm 5'6". My depth perception has changed over the years. I don't have the advantage of being tall with a perspective from high up in the cab. I suspect many of us mere mortals have the same issue.

The garage at the house has 1" or less of clearance on the right side pulling in and only 2-3" of clearance in the front so that I can close the garage door. That's easy for me to do because I have much better visual cues in the garage. I have garden tools hanging on the wall in front of the truck at the same level as the top of the hood. I don't have those visual cues in the home improvement store parking lot.

There's also the issue of people who leave hitch receivers installed and sticking over the boundary of their parking space. But, that's a rant for a different thread.

Gauging how close I am to obstacles in front of me as I'm parking is tough. I often end up 2 feet short; rather than ding the obstacle in front of me, I'll get out and check. It's much tougher with the visual geometry of the hood. It was much easier to gauge visually in my First Gen Tundra.

In 40+ years of driving, I've NEVER dinged another vehicle pulling into a spot. Damn sight better to be sure of where I am than be "Sorry" afterward.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Depth perception is a huge deal. Mine is off and has been since apparently 21 when I was trying to be a pilot. Failed that test with flying colors. No pun inended.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2018 Limited so it has front and back corner sensors on the bumpers. When I pull straight into my driveway I pull up to my garage door so the corner sensors pick up the wall. In a parking lot it would be nice if there was a centre sensor on the front.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
I bought this backup cam that comes with a small display and mounted the camera to the front license plate.The image is reversed left/right but I have gotten used to it.I can now get inches away from an object.Totally worth $45.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AUTO-VOX-M1-Backup-Camera-Kit-Rear-View-Back-Up-Car-Camera-IP68-Waterproof/302787451598?hash=item467f89dace:g:jagAAOSwl~ZbNWPi:rk:10:pf:0
I was in the city today getting new winter tires on and new running boards (included in the deal last week but had to be ordered in ).
While I was there bought a "Yada" brand wireless camera/monitor kit because it was on sale at a huge discount. Came home and never opened the box and will take it back next trip to city after reading the terrible reviews of most of their cameras leaking and totally fogged up.
I am leaning toward wireless for the simplicity of installation. It looks like Autovox brand name like you have gets the best reviews,I am just wondering if the transmitter under the hood would cause any problems compared to them being placed in the trunk when wired in backup mode .

Oh yes , how is the Autovox camera for seeing the cross lines when just wet from rain and also with just a moderate film of soil on it. I know it doesn't have to be "real" clear just for parking as long as it is visible .

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have a 2018 Limited so it has front and back corner sensors on the bumpers. When I pull straight into my driveway I pull up to my garage door so the corner sensors pick up the wall. In a parking lot it would be nice if there was a centre sensor on the front.
I was in the city today getting new winter tires on and new running boards (included in the deal last week but had to be ordered in ).
While I was there bought a "Yada" brand wireless camera/monitor kit because it was on sale at a huge discount. Came home and never opened the box and will take it back next trip to city after reading the terrible reviews of most of their cameras leaking and totally fogged up.
I am leaning toward wireless for the simplicity of installation. It looks like Autovox brand name like you have gets the best reviews,I am just wondering if the transmitter under the hood would cause any problems compared to them being placed in the trunk when wired in backup mode .

Oh yes , how is the Autovox camera for seeing the cross lines when just wet from rain and also with just a moderate film of soil on it. I know it doesn't have to be "real" clear just for parking as long as it is visible .
Im thinking about looking into how much a new OEM sensor is then purchasing a black one. Splice into one of the front corner sensors and drill into the black plastic center of the bumper and putting the new sensor there. I know that when it senses something its going to indicate which ever side I splice into but ill know its the front one when getting close to something.just an idea

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Im thinking about looking into how much a new OEM sensor is then purchasing a black one. Splice into one of the front corner sensors and drill into the black plastic center of the bumper and putting the new sensor there. I know that when it senses something its going to indicate which ever side I splice into but ill know its the front one when getting close to something.just an idea
What front corner sensors are you referring to.Not sure if I have those on mine .

·
Registered
94 Posts

What front corner sensors are you referring to.Not sure if I have those on mine .
I have front and rear sensors. I think they are part of the Toyota Safety Sense feature. It lets you know when you are wearing out of your lane with lane indicators, and when cruise control is on it will speed up and slow down on its own according to the speed of traffic.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I have front and rear sensors. I think they are part of the Toyota Safety Sense feature. Lane indicators and cruise control speed control
OK , thanks. I guess I don't have those but I do have the lane indicators and the radar speed control both which of which I am very pleased with .Both are great features .

·
Registered
94 Posts
OK , thanks. I guess I don't have those but I do have the lane indicators and the radar speed control both which of which I am very pleased with .Both are great features .
Oh ok. Yeah I had no idea I was getting any of that or navigation. Neither did the dealer and they tried to up the price after a contract was already signed. They messed up. I got free running boards too.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Oh ok. Yeah I had no idea I was getting any of that or navigation. Neither did the dealer and they tried to up the price after a contract was already signed. They messed up. I got free running boards too.
Way to go. I'm happy for you .I don't have navigation either but my phone looks after that good enough for me .
This is the model I got .

·
Registered
94 Posts
Way to go. I'm happy for you .I don't have navigation either but my phone looks after that good enough for me .
This is the model I got .

Think we got the same truck except I got the CREWMAX. I think the other options I got were add ons that neither I nor the dealer was expecting it to have when it arrived from the ship. Im in Hawaii and the truck hadn't been unloaded yet they just knew it was in their question so I signed the papers before seeing it. I just drove one like it.

·
Registered
137 Posts

Hi barnyo.I believe that the wireless Autovox camera would work as well.You could wire it (like I did) with the M1 to the "ignition" circuit in the fuse box which allows the monitor to be on when the truck is running or add a switch which can be turned on and off as you wish.If you buy the wireless version on Amazon it can be easily returned if it does not suit your needs.I have not had any issues yet with the camera and it has been exposed to lots of snow,slush and lots of salt.

Reactions: barnyo

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Hi barnyo.I believe that the wireless Autovox camera would work as well.You could wire it (like I did) with the M1 to the "ignition" circuit in the fuse box which allows the monitor to be on when the truck is running or add a switch which can be turned on and off as you wish.If you buy the wireless version on Amazon it can be easily returned if it does not suit your needs.I have not had any issues yet with the camera and it has been exposed to lots of snow,slush and lots of salt.
Thanks for that advice

·
Registered
46 Posts
This might be a silly question but seeing as I have only had my 2018 Tundra a couple days I am finding it difficult to know how close I am to something at the front while parking. Back is no problem with the camera.
That high curved hood that I can't see the front of the vehicle is something I am not used to . I have got out a few times thinking I am there only to find I am 6 or 8 feet away.
Is this something that I am just going to have to get used to ? I hate guessing how far away I am from something.
Loving the truck otherwise though .
You will get used to it, when I bought my Tundra I went thru the same issues , it drove me crazy I would be super far from everything, then one day , it became a non issue I would say it was about 6 months in. The audio shop I bought my system from tried to sell me a front camera but it was not worth the few hundred dollars in my opinion, once you get used to the length of your hood, you can pretty much do in auto pilot lol

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
You will get used to it, when I bought my Tundra I went thru the same issues , it drove me crazy I would be super far from everything, then one day , it became a non issue I would say it was about 6 months in. The audio shop I bought my system from tried to sell me a front camera but it was not worth the few hundred dollars in my opinion, once you get used to the length of your hood, you can pretty much do in auto pilot lol
Thanks for your "outlook" on it . Pun intended . . lol . .
After reading the yeahs and nays on this topic and given my particular eye condition and perception I went ahead and ordered a wireless one from amazon earlier today . The installation looks super simple . Supposed to arrive on Friday and if so I will try to to get time to install it on the weekend and perhaps even take some pictures to show .I have even been known to do a few videos . . lol . .
The way I look at it is with the cost of body work and keeping a clean insurance record , a hundred bucks is peanuts compared to even a minor fender bender on mine and hopefully not on another person's vehicle as well . Sometimes we just gotta do what we think is best in our own particular situations .

·
Registered
13,646 Posts
I have wondered if you have the parking sonar, if you could just add two more sensors to the front, but in center, tapped into the front corner sensors... If it worked, you wouldn't know if it was in front of you, or on the front corners, but either way if it worked it would at least beep as you got close.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You need to practice with a spotter. Have someone stand in front of you and get as close as you feel is good, then have them assist you in getting closer. I made my wife help me for a min or two...then i had to buy her something nice because i was yelling at her lol. Also I thought all the 2018 models have park assist sensors. You might wanna make sure they are turned on. The switch is below your steering wheel and to the right. It was a P on it. If the green light is on its working.
Tall delineator cones are also helpful. You will get it...just need to practice. I can park my front bumper about 1/2 inch from anything without touching it now.
Cheers!!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was gonna suggest a booster seat lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 69 Posts